Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I were going to exceed my comfortable under $500 detector array for a higher priced unit, I have said that it would be either the Omega 8500 or the Racer 2. I lean towards the Racer 2 over the Omega, because of the trigger PP feature and ground tracking option. I like the handle better on the Omega and a five year warranty as well. So very close are these two. And Makro/Nokta has as good a track record as FTP.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sold my Omega 8500. I wasn't impressed at all. My Racer 2 arrives tomorrow and I'm also keeping my regular Racer.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You heard wrong.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just sold my Omega 8500. I wasn't impressed at all. My Racer 2 arrives tomorrow and I'm also keeping my regular Racer.

Don't mean to change the subject here but what was it you didn't like about the Omega 8500? I had it narrowed down the Omega 8500 and the R2 so your opinion would be of value....

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8500 was very chatty in my area. I think it was a combination of EMI and soil mineralization. What resulted was a detector that was very had to distinguish between false signals and actual targets while swinging. I was constantly have to stop and recheck signals on almost every swing. The target response was also narrow which made them sound just about like false signals. Took the Racer 2 out for the first time yesterday. Just a little coin shooting for recent or fresh drops. Quiet as can be with no falsing and a definite strong hit over every target. It's an outstanding detector.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 8500 was very chatty in my area. I think it was a combination of EMI and soil mineralization. What resulted was a detector that was very had to distinguish between false signals and actual targets while swinging. I was constantly have to stop and recheck signals on almost every swing. The target response was also narrow which made them sound just about like false signals. Took the Racer 2 out for the first time yesterday. Just a little coin shooting for recent or fresh drops. Quiet as can be with no falsing and a definite strong hit over every target. It's an outstanding detector.

Nice collection of machines you got there Tom, i though i was the only one with 8 detectors :occasion14: Good report on the Racer 2, i might get one when it matures a bit.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Tom for your report...I was only considering the Omega 8500 over the Racer 2 because of the warranty and it being manufactured in the US but now after hearing many positive reviews have finally decided to go with the Racer 2....This new detector may be a hit! Can't wait to place the order!...

Last edited:

Zampano

May 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what I would call responsiveness, Dilekt. You do a great job (!) and I hope the new Makro Racer will be as good as you.

Greetings from Switzerland!

silvercloud

May 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been testing Makro JeoHunter 3D as a possible replacement for my Garrett GTI 2500 and here are some experiences:

- JeoHunter can "see" deeper targets than GTI 2500 with Eagle Eye and can also provide some discrimination (JH advantage)
- JeoHunter can also detect cavities (but not as deep as described, the max depth we saw was about 6', deeper cavities were NOT detected), GTI doesn't have that (JH advantage)
- GTI 2500 with standard coil (no Eagle Eye) is more convenient for shallow targets and coins (GTI 2500 advantage)

I found both detectors quite reliable in detecting actual objects vs. false signals (mineralization) and to separate out iron, however, still trying to figure out how to discriminate valuable targets from long buried non-ferrous metalic trash. I got both of them indicating "gold" (JH with about 60%, not 100% though) while the actual object had been rotten aluminum or rusty tin.

Last edited:

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Owned my Racer 2 for approx 9 months now and have had ZERO problems with it.

I find build quality excellent.

I did have the early Racer 1 (Red Racer) with the coil ear breakage problem, but within 2 days of contacting Makro about it....a courier arrived with a package....a brand new coil with the thicker coil ears.....2 days it took from Turkey!!

Makro Customer service is FANTASTIC!

Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread