anyone ever have a detector smoke and keep working?

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got my gold racer yesterday. I went out and ran it all morning then came in for lunch. I get all the way back out to where I was going to detect and about 15 minutes in it just shuts off after going whack for a few seconds????? I went to turn it off and a little plume of smoke is coming out from the battery compartment.......I turned it off and opened the battery door to see what burnt. nothing looked to be harmed. could smell the electrical burning smell I shut the door and turned it on a couple times and nothing happens. about the 10th time I turned it off and on it finally stayed on and went right back to working. not sure if they will sent me a new one or if its fine never had to deal with the maker before. A guy would think a $700 piece of equipment would run without melting contacts with the correct power supply...wondering what to do with it. not real sure I want another one if this is a sign of things to come.???

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Get the MD in a VERY quiet place, hold it near your ears and turn it - see if you can hear "anything" rattling around inside. I've seen electronics where some little piece of something-or-other waste is floating around inside. If it's metallic, it could short across the circuit board or the connectors leading to the battery.

Regardless, call KellyCo and tell them what happened. And if you "can" hear anything, tell them that as well!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, time to go back to the factory. Better to get it fixed now than to worry about warranty running out later.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
just go back from another trip to the desert and it worked ok. I didn't have any trouble at this time but I never turned it off after I started. wonder if they will send me one mines getting repaired?

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think KellyCo sells the Makro line of detectors. You need to get a hold of metaldetector.com as they are the U.S. distributor for Makro. I think they are in Mass. They'll take good care of you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think KellyCo sells the Makro line of detectors. You need to get a hold of metaldetector.com as they are the U.S. distributor for Makro. I think they are in Mass. They'll take good care of you.
Correct, Kellyco doesn't sell or service Makro..

A word of advice, if a detector starts smoking don't turn it back on till it is checked out..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector smokes two packs a day.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Correct, Kellyco doesn't sell or service Makro..

A word of advice, if a detector starts smoking don't turn it back on till it is checked out..

I realize you shouldn't turn it on but being brand spanking new if the dang thing wants to burst into flames and melt to a puddle from no fault of my own so be it. As far as I figure they own the craftsmanship of that thing for 2 years. I don't wish to spread bad PR on them until they have a chance to fix it! I hope they are like Zeiss optics and will send me one to replace this one and let me mail in ole smokey.

OP
OP
D

desert-rat

Nov 15, 2015
western arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
im really impressed how much this company is concerned with the quality of their product! The retailer not so much I sent a message to them via their customer support web site and haven't heard a word. Over all I would buy this product again over the others based on the response ive received from Makro!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree. Nokta/Makro is a very attentive company.
A couple months ago I bought the 5.5x10 for my relic and wanted a new lower rod too so I bought one with it and a set of hardware from Kelly com everything arrived on but the hardware was different from what came with my other coils with my relic. The bolt was an older version I guess.
Dilek answered my concerned email (luckily I did have the spare from my relic pack) and promptly sent me new hardware as well as contacted kellyco to check their stock and prevent further issues with other customers.
A+ in my book.
I have a racer 2 on the way also with the 5.5x10 26 coil as well. Love that coil on my relic.
High hopes for the racer2 so we will see. I'm sure I'll be happy.

Please update us with the status of your detector and how it worked out!!

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All detectors run on smoke, when you let the smoke out they generally never work again, difficult to put the smoke back in.

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer & Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't forget the mirrors HOBO there has to be mirrors in them magic boxes no other explanation

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My detector smokes a pack and a half a day :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread