OOR(RC13) or 5"(RC13E) coil for my Racer 2?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a small coil for my Racer2.

Per a rep at metaldetector.com, the only difference between these 2 coils is the physical size difference.

Has anyone done, or know of, a side by side comparison of the RC13 and RC13E to verify?
Do they really achieve the same depth and target separation?
Are the ears the same quality?
Coil cable length and quality the same?

Thanks.

gregg5150

Jan 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quality is the same, you have some that say performance is the same and yet you have some that say the oor coil is there choice. Me, I like the little "oor" coil the best. As far as depth, if I am in a situation that requires the little "oor" coil, I am looking for separation not depth. If its extremely trashy depth isn't really a consideration. If the site is only moderately infested with iron etc I will use the 5.5 x 10 coil. Rather you get the little bit smaller "oor " coil or the newer 5" round ( which is closer to 5 1/2") either one will give you great performance in trashy / iron infested sites.

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a small coil for my Racer2.

Per a rep at metaldetector.com, the only difference between these 2 coils is the physical size difference.

Has anyone done, or know of, a side by side comparison of the RC13 and RC13E to verify?
Do they really achieve the same depth and target separation?
Are the ears the same quality?
Coil cable length and quality the same?
Take your pick as they are both exceptional-performing coils for any trashy environment. I know because those are the types of sites I most often search, generally iron infested as well.

The rep is pretty close to correct, they do perform almost identically and maybe only a trained ear in a few really tough conditions might be able to hear a very subtle difference. I own and use both coils. The 'OOR' coil, a term I applied for it's Out-Of-Round configuration, measures about 4.7X5.2 inches in size, and the so-called round 5" DD measures closer to 5½" in diameter, so they are both very close in physical size.

As Gregg5150 mentioned, their strong point is in the ability to work in and around dense brush and rubble and abundant trash. I use an 'OOR' coil on my FORS CoRe and occasionally my Racer 2, and the 5½" DD on a FORS Relic and Gold Racer, as well as occasionally on the Racer 2. Coil ears are just fine and durable on all the current production Nokta and Makro search coils.

Cable lengths are very similar, and the cables used are the thicker and more durable type and not thin and wimpy.

Depth of detection with these search coils is also quite impressive and that adds to why I rely on them so much, but in modest-trash content sites I opt for the 5½X10 Concentric or DD coils, and in wide-open, sparse-trash sites I use the standard 7X11 DD.

Invest in either one of the 'OOR' or 5½" DD coils, work with it to learn and appreciate what they can do for you, and enjoy a great detector/coil set-up.

Monte

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions