Fors Relic vs old homestead

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out to an old homestead today I have hit many times with multiple machines. This place I am sure was probably a trading post of some sort do to the sheer size of the area which covers probably 300 acres or so of trash of all sorts. I decided to concentrate on a corner of it that is carpet of square nails, flakes of tin, and bullet casings a plenty.

I was running the Relic in DI3, sense 93, ID mask 20, tone break 65, Imask 0, iron volume 5.

I worked it real slow, removing all mid and high tone targets. I was using the 5 X 10 dd relic coil and it worked extremely well.

If you are a relic hunter this is your dream detector and is a bargain for the price it's selling for.

Some people won't like how busy it is but if you take the time to learn it's language and what it's telling you, you won't find anything better except the Deus and the Relic has smaller coils to get into tight places.

Today's finds

Attachments

• 20160604_131821.jpg
    20160604_131821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 327

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went out to an old homestead today I have hit many times with multiple machines. This place I am sure was probably a trading post of some sort do to the sheer size of the area which covers probably 300 acres or so of trash of all sorts. I decided to concentrate on a corner of it that is carpet of square nails, flakes of tin, and bullet casings a plenty.

I was running the Relic in DI3, sense 93, ID mask 20, tone break 65, Imask 0, iron volume 5.

I worked it real slow, removing all mid and high tone targets. I was using the 5 X 10 dd relic coil and it worked extremely well.
Welgund, like you I have a number of older sites I have hunted, hard and often, that I still enjoy revisiting. The oldest, or longest-hunted of them, is my first ghost town location I searched in early May of 1969. It has also been the greatest producer of older coins and nice artifacts for me, but that's mainly due to the abundant amount of time I put in there and frequency of search through these past decades.

Using any decent detector, and worked with the most appropriate search coil, I also use a slow sweep and methodical coverage to reap the rewards, and in all these old locations I have really been enjoying the excellent performance I get from the Makro Racer and Racer 2, Nokta FORS CoRe, and this ear I especially like using my FORS Relic models. :thumbsup: It is my primary-use detector for the bulk of my detecting and I appreciate the features added to it that make life more pleasant being able to hear all ferrous and non-ferrous targets while keeping the Iron Volume reduced to a lower Volume and not being typically loud.

I use the 5½" DD coil most often due to sever iron debris at those sites, but have another Relic I keep the 5½X10 Concentric coil mounted to for working the most-trash areas, especially where it is mainly nails or cut wire and not a lot of 'sheet-iron' like rusty tin. Also, the lower target areas, where nails are the main annoyance, I tend to prefer using the Di2, 2-Tone search mode, but in trashier environments, like you I opt for the Di3 mode, and the Relic w/5½" DD mounted is set to turn-on in Di3, but my settings are a bit different from yours.

I have my Sensitivity saved at '99' and reduce it only if there is any EMI or I can sense some challenges from too closely spaced shallower targets. I have my ID Mask (Discrimination) set at '03' so that I have dealt with most Hot Rocks and some problem ground, but keep it just below Iron Nail rejection so I can hear the presence of iron trash. I want to hear it to know it is there so I can then work a coil around the ferrous junk to try and find a partially-masked good target.

My Tone Break in the 3-Tone mode is also set at '65' to keep more of the lower-conductive/lower read-out 1¢ coins assigned the High-Tone audio, to include modern Zinc cents and most Indian Head and early Wheat-Back coins, from 1909 to about 1920. My Iron Volume is usually set at '01' or '02' to just barely hear the iron trash present, but with a reduced Loudness. The Iron Audio Volume control of the Relic is one of my favorite newer features.

If you are a relic hunter this is your dream detector and is a bargain for the price it's selling for.[/QUOTE]"Unmasking abilities like you wouldn't imagine! -- The Nokta FORS Relic." That was and is my feeling about the great performance afield I get from the relic, and is my quoted response to Nokta Detectors. At only $799 MSRP, this FORS Relic package with 7X11 DD AND 5½" round DD coils plus two lower rods is an unbelievable value.

Some people won't like how busy it is but if you take the time to learn it's language and what it's telling you, you won't find anything better except the Deus and the Relic has smaller coils to get into tight places.
I don't mind how 'busy' it might be on occasion, we we can control it to a great deal as we master the Relic. And while I do agree with you on most of what you stated, I have to personally differ with you regarding the XP Deus model. I have worked my Relics against a couple of Deus users afield and we have compared several located targets and at no time did they demonstrate better performance. Matter of fact the 'edge' went in favor of the Relic, and I only have to change 4 AA batteries when it gets tired. I don't have to maintain a charged-up head-set, control housing or search coil, plus I have a nice assortment of available coils to use with the much more affordable Relic.

Just my personal opinions of likes and don't likes, but we all tend to have our favorite models and coils. Best of success to you in future hunts as it looks like you have a very good-sized old location to pick through.

Monte

OP
OP
W

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monte,

Guess I should have worded that better. Meant to say is that I do not lose confidence while using the Relic while out in the field if using it instead of my deus. In fact with the smaller coils like the 5in and 5 X 10 I feel it gives me an advantage over the Deus. Don't get me wrong, I have been using the Deus for over three years in full tones and 0 disc and it's performance has been untouched for me with the 9 in coil until now. Greatest thing about this hobby is it seems no matter what detector I choose to use for the day though produces finds of some sort from the little compadre to the ctx 3030. To many detectors, to little time.lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions