bottle caps

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of detectors give a good signal on bottle caps....I'd suggest check for some videos on your machine on youtube....you might learn a few tricks to filter out some of the junk when detecting.

Regards + HH

Bill

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learned to tell the difference by placing a bottle cap about 12" away from a coin and just swinging over both of them until I could tell the difference. It took me about twenty swings over each, going over one a couple of times and then over the other a couple of times. Pretty soon the ears and brain start to put it all together. It's not something you can do as easily by passing each past the coil as in an air test. You've got to throw them on the ground and have at it.
P.S. DD coils have a much harder time discriminating bottle caps than concentric coils. Unfortunately were stuck with the DD's until someone starts making concentric coils for our detectors. My White's with a BigFoot coil or concentric is blind to bottle caps.

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Caps will usually sound more harsh or "clicky", but a really rusty one in damp soil can still sound just like coin. When I get a target that I suspect is a cap, I've learned to greatly increase my sweep speed over it. The coins will usually still sound good, and the caps often just click or completely disappear. But.. Sometimes I still dig those caps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions