Can't Decide - Nokta Relic or Makro Racer 2?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would they provide you with one? You're no Keith, Monte, Steve, or Tom.

They likely know YOUR test wouldn't be skewed or biased at all. :rolleyes:

Nok/Mak machines are too high tech for you. Stick with all those beep and digs.

Mine weren't "skewed" I had more invested in the Nokta, and wanted it to be my new go to machine.....

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Those that have read your reviews could tell they were not skewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got my first detector at 21 years of age, a little over forty years ago. It was a White's and I was a loyal White's user for many years. To the point of becoming a White's dealer in the early 90's. I tried most of the other brands over the years and today I have 10 different detectors. I use them on different hunts because they each have somewhere that they perform better than others (for me). When the Racer came out a couple years back, I had to try one to check out all the "hype". I liked it so well that I bought a second just in case. After using the Racer for the first few times, I became more excited about it than any detector I had bought in years. Two buddies bought them also after seeing how the Racer performed. When the Racer 2 was released, I had to have one. I'm even more impressed than I was before. The Racer 2 has become my number one detector for hunting iron infested sites like ghost towns and Railroad sidings. It's my favorite dry beach sand detector that also performs better on the wet beach sand than any other VLF detector I've ever used. With the small coil, it will pick good targets out of trash better than any detector I've used. It's also an excellent planted competition hunt machine. Currently I have two Racer 2's and a Gold Racer. I have two excellent detectors for sale currently, a Mr. Bill modified IDX Pro, and a Tesoro Bandido II µMax. These are two of the best detectors ever produced for iron infested sites, but they never get used anymore. My Racers aren't going anywhere except out detecting... in about 30 minutes. I've got to eat breakfast first.

Have you tried the Nokta Relic?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why would they provide you with one? You're no Keith, Monte, Steve, or Tom.

They likely know YOUR test wouldn't be skewed or biased at all. :rolleyes:

Nok/Mak machines are too high tech for you. Stick with all those beep and digs.

I'm not holding my breath. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valley Ranger - I don't have the Nokta Relic. I have hunted with Monte and I've seen some of his finds. I'm more of a coin, token, jewelry hunter and the Racer 2 fits my needs so I haven't felt the need to get the Relic but I have no doubt about its capabilities and the abilities of many of the folks that use it. Often times when someone starts bashing a detector, I just consider the source and leave it at that.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valley Ranger, I can only speak regarding the Racer 2. My best friend uses the AT Pro. I allowed him to use my Racer 2 with the small OOR coil in an area he had just covered with his ATP. It's an 1830's homestead with more junk targets than you can imagine.
It took him an hour to get used to how sparky I had the Racer 2 set up, but he was amazed at how many good targets he missed.
He's now thinking about getting the Racer 2 to use with his ATP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do get free detectors that is compensation for there reviews . In other words payment.

Dear Keppy,
Those people are NOT asking for anything.
We are the ones who are asking them to spend time to test the product for us. They all offered to send the products back to us after the tests and we said no because it will cost us more money to get them back here thru the customs. More importantly, in case of updates and changes after the initial tests, we ask them to do comparisons for us so we ask them to keep the pre-production samples. This is all done with the intention of providing better products for the end-users. However, I see that some people value this and some people do not so I will end this conversation here as everybody is free to think and feel as they like.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... :coffee2:

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Valley Ranger:
I too can only speak for the Racer 2. I ordered it the same day my AT Pro locked up and I had to send it back to Garrett for warranty repair. I got he Garret back with a brand new control unit and coil, but the Garrett remains unused since I got the Racer. The Racer finds stuff DEEP!! I'm going over areas where I went with my AT Pro and I'm still pulling out Silver from way down. The Racer 2 is the same weight as the AT Pro, yet my tennis elbow is gone since I started swinging the Makro. I've only been detecting for 2 years so I can't get all technical on ya, but I do know that the Makro is just a better detector than the AT Pro. That's my opinion anyway so, don't anyone have a cow. I'll still use my AT pro for deeper water detecting where I can lay it down in the water and not have to worry about it, but the Makro is the king now.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Valley Ranger:
I too can only speak for the Racer 2. I ordered it the same day my AT Pro locked up and I had to send it back to Garrett for warranty repair. I got he Garret back with a brand new control unit and coil, but the Garrett remains unused since I got the Racer. The Racer finds stuff DEEP!! I'm going over areas where I went with my AT Pro and I'm still pulling out Silver from way down. The Racer 2 is the same weight as the AT Pro, yet my tennis elbow is gone since I started swinging the Makro. I've only been detecting for 2 years so I can't get all technical on ya, but I do know that the Makro is just a better detector than the AT Pro. That's my opinion anyway so, don't anyone have a cow. I'll still use my AT pro for deeper water detecting where I can lay it down in the water and not have to worry about it, but the Makro is the king now.

Thanks Doc!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So after posting this here and on another forum, I got a PM from someone who, through a strange set of circumstances, ended up with 2 Nokta Relics. He offered to trade me even for my used T2 SE. So I called Monte and talked to him a bit more about the Nokta Relic and decided to trade. The brown truck brought it today - can't wait to try it out on one of my iron-infested sites! Thanks for all the advice!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you make the find of your life with the new machine! :occasion14:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very curious to see what you think of this machine .....
also, Ranger, where you located in the valley?

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiggerinVA, I must say that you are about the only person I've found who disliked the Relic. Are you sure you gave it enough time to really know if it was so bad? I think you sold it faster than the DFX I once bought. I hated it so bad it was boxed up and shipped within 36 hours of purchasing it.

As I've stated to you about the CoRe, I'm not liking is the armstrap/ shaft setup but the machines performance seems to be very good. It has finally started to cool off and I hope to get out with it now to really test it.

Last edited:

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best description of the machine is a "generic version" of the T2....not the worst machine I have used but I knew pretty quickly that it was not for me. One big thing for me is that I have had both wrists broke in a motorcycle accident when I was younger and the grip position was very uncomfortable for me. I was also unhappy with target ID in heavy iron and at depths past 6" in my areas. Hope you all like it more than me. I am finding myself drawn more to older analog machines and am currently playing with a TDI that I have really come to like and make finds with.

7]DiggerinVA, I must say that you are about the only person I've found who disliked the Relic. Are you sure you gave it enough time to really know if it was so bad? I think you sold it faster than the DFX I once bought. I hated it so bad it was boxed up and shipped within 36 hours of purchasing it.

As I've stated to you about the CoRe, I'm not liking is the armstrap/ shaft setup but the machines performance seems to be very good. It has finally started to cool off and I hope to get out with it now to really test it.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very curious to see what you think of this machine .....
also, Ranger, where you located in the valley?

Augusta County. One of the first things I noticed about the Relic when I was putting it together was the build quality. Very solid materials that are quality made, in my opinion. I was actually surprised. Though I was initially concerned about the weight, it does seem to balance quite well and "feels" lighter than it actually is. I was hoping to take it out yesterday but it rained all day. The rain is much needed and will soften up the ground a bit. I hope to take it out for a couple of hours Monday afternoon to a site that should work as a good test for the Relic. It's a colonial site where I've dug a 1782 Reale, 1801 Large Cent and a number of Tombacs. It's also got a lot of iron in the ground. Throw in the electric livestock fence that surrounds the area and it makes a very challenging place to dig. The AT Pro has done a great job of pulling out what I've found so far, so I'm anxious to see what this machine will do. I did have the T2 SE in there and it simply did not perform as well as the AT Pro.

Last edited:

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me the racer2 and I'll do side by sides with my xp deus. I've been a Garrett guy for years but don't use them at this time because I get more out of the xp deus and have been looking at the racer 2. I relic hunt fields and old home sites. I'm not a park hunter. I love the history of my finds. Most sites I hunt are littered with iron rust and nails and the xp deus blew away my at pro and gold. I'm wondering how the racer 2 would work in these locations. You don't have to send me one I was just kidding but may be a future purchase for me.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Send me the racer2 and I'll do side by sides with my xp deus. I've been a Garrett guy for years but don't use them at this time because I get more out of the xp deus and have been looking at the racer 2. I relic hunt fields and old home sites. I'm not a park hunter. I love the history of my finds. Most sites I hunt are littered with iron rust and nails and the xp deus blew away my at pro and gold. I'm wondering how the racer 2 would work in these locations. You don't have to send me one I was just kidding but may be a future purchase for me.

Kodiak - what settings are you using on the Deus? I'm having a lot of trouble getting to know this machine and I'm just not seeing all the performance everyone else seems to be seeing. A lot of the sites I hunt are like yours. I'm curious to see what you're doing that I'm not. Admittedly, I've stuck with the factory programs and haven't deviated much from those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread