A Review: Makro Racer 2 Pro Package

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Racer 2: A Non-Believer Tries the machine.

By Terry Soloman

Anyone that has read my forum posts knows I am a die-hard Tesoro user and fanboy. I recently became involved in a discussion about reviews of the Makro “Racer 2” metal detector, on the Treasurenet forum. Several people were saying they believed many reviews of the machine were exaggerated, or biased, because the people doing the reviews were either dealers selling the Racer 2, or received free machines for their positive feedback.

I am always cynical when dealers review metal detectors they sell, especially when the machine they’re reviewing affords them a high profit margin. I watched dozens of videos on YouTube, and my curiosity about the Racer 2, and it’s supposed capabilities grew. The depth tests I watched were impressive, and several videos even showed the Racer 2 running smooth and finding deep coins in wet saltwater sand. Too good to be true? I thought so, and I decided to find out for myself.

I sent Makro Metal Detectors my credentials, my published reviews and metal detecting articles, and my pitch to independently review the Racer 2. Three-weeks passed before I got a call from the manufacturer’s offices in Istanbul, Turkey. Dilek Gonulay, the Sales & Marketing Manager for Notka / Makro, began the conversation by letting me know she had been following the posts on Treasurenet, and was concerned some thought Makro was influencing the reviews of the Racer 2.

I confessed my own skepticism and expressed my reservations about purchasing a “foreign” machine, preferring to buy American when possible. Dilek told me she understood, then dropped her Dual-Citizenship (Turkish and American), on me. We talked about her life here in the States, where she served as Vice President of Product Development at Micro Innovations in New Jersey, and the LifeWorks Technology Group here in New York, where she worked closely with Hewlett Packard and Apple on various projects, before joining Notka-Makro in 2010.

As Dilek turned the conversation back to the technology and features Makro has engineered into the Racer 2, I asked her what she thought the three main strengths of the Racer 2 are. She replied, “Discrimination and unmasking in trashy areas; Depth and speed; Price and ease of use.” By the end of our 40-minute conversation Dilek had me excited about the Racer 2, and I had one on the way.

When the Pro-Package ($950.00) arrived, my first impression out of the box was, “sturdy build.” The rods snap together cleanly and easily, locking down tightly with no wobble. The coils attach easily with a minimum of coil bolt wrestling, and the coil ears are thick and sturdy. When assembled, including batteries, the Racer 2 is surprisingly light at just 3-lbs (1.4-kg).

Ergonomically, the S-rod design works well for me, especially the adjustable upper arm cuff and strap. The balance centers forward as you would expect but, surprisingly, seems more neutral when swinging the machine. While park and woods detecting I never used the arm strap. The arm strap did prove invaluable on the beach, allowing me to use my sand scoop without putting the machine down.

The LCD display and programming keypad, as well as the ground balance, pinpoint, and flashlight “trigger,” are all mounted perfectly for right or left hand operation. As a right-hander, I usually swing with my left arm, and dig with my right. I found that switching modes, adjusting gain, iron audio, or even saving custom programs was easy with either hand. The display screen features eight distinct tools and indicators:
The Target ID scale - ID Cursor and Notch Filter Indicator - Search Mode Indicator: All Metal; Two Tone; Three Tone; Beach; and Deep – The Menu, providing access to all settings and modes including: Gain; Notch Filtering; Audio Tone; Iron Audio; Tone Break; Vibration Settings; Threshold; ISAT; Ground Tracking; Backlight; and Custom Programming - Large Target ID Number readout in the middle of the screen - Ground Phase and Tracking – Magnetic and Mineralization indicator - Warning messages and Battery level indicator.

I found the 28-page instruction manual to be extremely well written and easy to understand. Instructions are laid out in easy to follow sections, highlighted by helpful diagrams and photos. The Racer 2 features Automatic and Manual Ground Balancing options, Push button Pinpointing, Five-channel Frequency Shift (for working near other machines or in noisy EMT conditions), and an LED flashlight for pre-dawn or late evening hunting. The Vibration mode, which can be used with or without audio tones, can be set to five different levels, making it a good choice for hearing impaired metal detectorists.

I was eager to get the Racer 2 into the field, and for my first hunt chose a city park that has been pounded since the 1960s, with every machine known to man. A large battle occurred here between British and American armies in October, 1776, lasting several days. Over the years many artifacts have been recovered in and around the park, however, it is also infamous for canslaw, pull tabs, screwcaps, and iron.

I ground balanced in the “Three-tone” mode, and stayed with the factory settings using the 11” x 7” DD coil. After 45-minutes, and several targets dug, I was beginning to understand the TID numbers and feel more comfortable with the higher non-ferrous tones, versus the low iron tones in my headphones. I increased the gain slightly from 75 to 85, popped into the “Two-Tone” mode, and started hitting some deeper targets as my hunt went on.

I was delighted to find coins like a 1937 Mercury dime a few inches below a screwcap, at a depth of nine-inches. Some of my finds had undoubtably been walked over by other detectorists (including myself), who either couldn’t get deep enough, or just didn’t hear the target through the masking. One of the Indian Head pennies I dug was easily 10” deep, with a square-head nail in the same hole. As the targets added up, I grew more confident and impressed.

Getting tired toward the end of the park hunt, I experimented with the Notch Filtering. I “notched out” the most common numbers I was seeing when digging pull tabs (34-36), and bottle caps (62-64), and was delighted with the results. Notch filtering is a fantastic custom discrimination tool, and is very easy to use and save on the Racer 2.

My next Racer 2 test hunt, was a farm field near Kingston, NY. I’ve hunted several fields in this historic area, which pre-dates the American Revolution, with several Tesoro machines including the Cibola; Vaquero; Tejon; and even the pulse induction Sand Shark. While those hunts were both fun and successful, I dug a lot of old nails and rusty iron. With that in mind I began the hunt leaving the Iron Audio setting (0-10) at 10, so that I could still hear deeper iron signals but, most importantly, ignore them if I chose to.

After experimenting with the different modes for several hours, I found the “Deep” mode to be extremely advantageous in two respects – it requires a slower swing speed, which makes you slow down and assure coil overlap with each swing; and it gives 2”-3” of additional depth on a dime-sized target (1923 silver dime recovered at a legitimate 13”) over the “Two-Tone,” which is the next deepest discrimination mode. With the optional 15.5” x 13” DD coil ($250.00), you’ll add several more inches in depth over the stock 11” x 7” DD coil I was using.

Pinpointing with the stock 11” x 7” coil is very easy compared to some of the other DD coils I’ve used, centering directly under the coil ears. While testing the Racer 2 on various terrains I rarely used the pinpointing mode because I never felt I needed it. When I did use it, out of curiosity, it was precise as expected.

For my next test of the Racer 2, I traveled to the southern shore of Long Island, NY, to see how it would handle the black, and wet saltwater sands of the Atlantic. All the single-frequency machines I’ve used on saltwater beaches in the past have suffered a loss of sensitivity and depth, to varying degrees, on the wet sand. They have been chatty or unstable, unable to handle highly mineralized and conductive saltwater and wet sand.
I’ve tried the Garrett AT Pro; Whites MX Sport; Fisher F75; DetectorPro Head Hunter; and several Tesoro, Bounty Hunter, and Teknetics machines, on Atlantic and Long Island Sound beaches over the last few years. I was not confident the Racer 2 would fare any better than the machines I had tried before.

After detecting the dry sand and towel line while waiting for low tide, I moved down into the wet sand and popped the Racer 2 into “Beach” mode. The machine easily ground balanced, and I was even able to increase the gain (sensitivity) which surprised me. After swinging in the wet sand for a few minutes I thought the machine was malfunctioning because I wasn’t hearing any signals at all. I ran the coil over my sand scoop and got the Racer 2’s distinctive “overload siren” signal, loud and clear in my headphones.

Continuing my grid pattern on the wet sand the machine only gave a false signal when going into, or coming out of, the water. Over the wet sand, or when the coil was fully submerged it ran smooth. I recovered modern coins, fish hooks, and some lead weights at very respectable depths.
In example, I dug a #4 lead fishing weight between 14”–15” deep in the wet sand from a strong signal. My deepest coin was a 1967 Nickel, at about 10-inches. The Racer 2 honestly outperformed every other single-frequency VLF I have tried on saltwater beaches.

My last test hunt took me to a Colonial-era foundation in the Connecticut woods for some relic hunting. I have hunted this site with several machines, including the Minelab Explorer, CTX 3030, GPX 5000; and the Tesoro Tejon, and Vaquero. I started the Racer 2 in “Two Tone” mode, and raised my Gain to 93 (0-100), before my threshold became jumpy in the iron-rich soil, so I dropped it back to 90 and started swinging.
I detected for several hours and was pleased by the overall performance of the Racer 2. I tried different Notch Filter settings, saving custom discrimination programs while playing with the Frequency shift to see if I could eliminate more trash metal without losing gold.

Part of the foundation is littered with aluminum, tin, and bullet casing metals from hundreds of campfires built over the years by hunters. Using the small 5” DD coil included in the Pro Package, I found three Colonial-era buttons and part of a shoe buckle I somehow missed in the past. Quite a testimonial to the small coil, and the machines ability to recover almost instantly in heavy trash areas while separating the targets audibly.
I put the Makro Racer 2 through its paces at the park, in farm fields, on the beach, and deep in the woods. I found it to be sturdy, ergonomically comfortable, balanced and lightweight. It features easy to use and understand controls offering more custom programming options and tools than machines costing hundreds-of-dollars more. It is deeper than any metal detector in its price range, and has more customized tones and enhanced audio choices. The Racer 2’s recovery speed and separation abilities are among the best offered at any price, and four Costco AA batteries easily operate it for 20-22 hours.

I believe the Makro Racer 2, punches well above its weight class in depth and customization options. I encourage you to add it to your list whether you are considering your first metal detector, or are considering an upgrade from your Garrett AT Pro; Fisher F75; Tesoro Tejon; Teknetics T2; Minelab 705; or Whites MXT. :skullflag:

Attachments

• IMG_20161019_100346.jpg
    IMG_20161019_100346.jpg
    741.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_20161024_111209.jpg
    IMG_20161024_111209.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20161024_111142.jpg
    IMG_20161024_111142.jpg
    603.7 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20161030_132821.jpg
    IMG_20161030_132821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20161012_092349.jpg
    IMG_20161012_092349.jpg
    977.3 KB · Views: 390

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm the tesoro fan boy wrote that! lol nice review I got a like new deus I need to put in your hands I got on a trade.lol I got a nokta fors core from the guy who got my 30/30 it hasnt got here yet.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome review!

You covered many different environments and provided a very detailed evaluation of the machines capabilities and features.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to say "I told you so" :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good machine for all types of detecting Terry. I liked the well written review and am wondering if you video'd any of it.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best written reviews I have seen in a long time. Having read your posts for a while I would certainly call you preudice twords Tesaro. To see you write this certainly says a lot for The Marlo Racer2.
Well done!

Last edited:

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Makro Racer 2. I need to get more practice with it, but it's a fantastic machine, and it goes deep. I've been trying to ignore the 96 signals as they are almost always nails, and I love the deep mode for a quick check to see if i can get a reading on a signal. I love that all the modes are right there at the top so that I can get an easy second opinion as it were on a signal.I do 3 tone mode mostly but i really want to break away from that and switch to 2 tone as it's deeper and i know i'm missing stuff by staying in 3 tone. Still this Racer has brought old sites to life, and I know that I should be using the small Lesche in a park with this thing, but when you need to go deep the small Lesche just doesn't cut it. Awesome review Terry.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trying to ignore the 96 signals as they are almost always nails...

I dig every 96 signal and have NEVER found a good target at 96. Hot rocks, nails, rusty iron. In 2017 I will dig NO MORE 96 signals with my Racer 2!!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug a 96 last week, it was three quarters stacked on top of each other. Check out a silver dollar. I have an 18XX something I ran across the coil, Yup 96. Most times I wouldn't dig a 96 either but if you're in an old area where the possibility of a silver dollar exists, you may want to dig those good, round sounding 96's.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good review Terry.
I agree that I live my racer 2. The nokta fors relic is phenomenal too. Nokta/makro shave been doing things very well.
I also favor Tesoro as you can see in my signature but I love my makro racer 2 and nokta fors relic more and more. The more you learn about them the better they become. I've been told they are great on salt water beaches but I haven't had the chance.

And right now with their year end sales that come with the free pointer and covers it's hard to beat.

Happy hunting with the makro!!
Will you be keeping the unit?

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, thank you for taking the time to review this machine, and write such a comprehensive article. This winter, I plan to adjust my machine arsenal, and this review has convinced me that this machine needs added to it. (I was already on the fence after watching numerous YouTube videos, plus reading several articles on the Makro 2) I sincerely appreciate your efforts - keep up the good work!

Happy hunting,
DD

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great review and nicely explained from an expert who knows his stuff. Thanks for posting this Terry.

Technonut

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2016
West 'By Gawd' Virginia
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 / Mars MD Tiger / CORS Fortune / CORS Point / Makro Pointer / DetectorPro Rattler Headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like a well-written review conducted by an experienced detectorist...Especially when they're known to have a strong bias towards a competing manufacturer. ;)

I've recently started swinging again, after many years of inactivity. Before picking up a Bounty Hunter LRP, then Omega 8500 to get my feet wet with machines sporting up-to-date tech, the last detectors I owned were the White's Eagle, and Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII. I found that the LRP / 8500 didn't quite cut it for me for various reasons, and was researching a replacement. Thanks to your review, I purchased the Racer 2, and couldn't be more pleased. :) This machine is a BEAST in iron, has fantastic depth, and more usable features than I can shake a stick at.

I can see myself being satisfied with the Racer 2 for many more years to come.... :)

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the detector needs servicing, where does it go? How is their service department?

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the detector needs servicing, where does it go? How is their service department?

Hold on, I'll ask the Russian Am.. Oh wait, I'll have to get back to you on that. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread