Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a fors core in trade and tested it in my test garden seperation was good, depth was good, sold it to my friend and hes gonna use it for relic hunting. With all that being said my hunting partner used a t2 for years and it seems to me that the fors core and t2 are VERY similar in performance . I dont think its a upgrade at all to go from a t2 to a fors cor.imo If you want to jump up the latter go get a deus my friend changed when he saw the performance of the one I was using the t2 got retired. Everyone has a opinion and im sure someone will come along and tell you something different lol. btw the fors core was very stable it di3 mode with it cranked up all the . I have a video over in the deus forum showing the audio of the deus the fors cor is in that video too its right after the ace 150.

Last edited:

Rogue Relic Hunter

Oct 3, 2016
Virginia Colony
Detector(s) used
DETECTORS: XP Deus WS-4, Garrett AT Pro and Pro-Pointer, Fisher CZ-5
TOOLS: Piranha shovel & R85 Military digger, both by Predator Tools
ATTIRE: Red Head brand Knee-High Waterproof Snake Boots
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
did i read something in that post about your testing it in Yellowstone? :laughing7: glad you prefer the Deus over the fors core and the T2. that is what i extrapolate from your post anyway. i have not been out since thanksgiving. I will be on vacation as of Friday, so I will be out there relic hunting somewhere. if the weather is crappy, I will be taking my AT Pro as bad weather is its specialty!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Racer 2 has more features than the T2, more modes, and more audio choices. The depth and sensitivity are about the same, with a slight advantage going to the Racer 2. I think the Racer 2 is easier to use and learn - My opinion. :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry does the racer have 4 tones 5 tones how do the tones breakdown trying to get one but need to get my money right. I want to try the 10 x 5 coil and the 5 and see how it does.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three basic tones, low-middle-high, that can be tuned to your ear. Tone breaks can be eliminated, adjusted, and set manually.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Org. T2
The “# OF TONES” selections are:1: Single Medium pitch tone.Discrimination is continuous, not sampled. Good for use in plowed or rocky ground.1+: Medium-to-High pitch tone varying in proportion to target signal strength.Large shallow objects will produce a squeal. The variable audio pitch provides you moreinformation about the detected object, but some people find the sound on strong signals tooannoying. Good for use in plowed or rocky ground.25Comprehensive Operating Manual & Guide to Metal Detecting TEKNETICSSEARCH TECHNIQUESSweeping Searchcoil (this does notapply to Pinpointing with the triggerswitch) Keep the searchcoil in motion todetect targets. Sweep the searchcoilparallel to the ground; do not lift thesearchcoil at the end of the sweep.When you have located a target andcontinue sweeping back and forth forverification, use broad, deliberate sweepsacross the target for the most accurateTarget-ID. Do not use short sweeps asyou might with other metal detectors.Shallow TargetsShallow targets tend to give multipleresponses, with the last response beingthe one that remains illuminated on thevisual display. This last response is usually sampled at the edge of the searchcoil and willtend to be inaccurate. If you suspect a shallow target (within 2 to 3 inches of the searchcoil),lift the searchcoil slightly, and slow down your sweep speed until you notice a single responseconsistently in the same place.Large shallow targets will cause signal overload, indicated by the siren sound. In these instances,raise the searchcoil until the overload warning disappears, and sweep at this increased height.Large TargetsIf an overload warning is not confined to a small spot, you are probably overloading on a largeobject, for example, a large iron pipe, reinforcing steel in concrete, or buried sheet metal. It isusually not possible to locate objects, such as coins, in close proximity to large masses of metal.Pinpointing With the Trigger SwitchWhen you turn the T2 on, the ground cancellation setting is preset to give a positive responseon nearly all soils. This means that if you are pulling the pinpoint trigger, the audio tone willget louder as you lower the searchcoil to the ground. But you do not want to hear the ground;you just want to hear the target. So always Ground Cancel first.After you have discovered a buried metal target using the ALL METAL or DISCRIMINATIONModes, use the trigger switch to pinpoint its exact location.Position the searchcoil an inch or two (2.5-5cm) above the ground, and to the side of thetarget. Then pull the trigger. Now move the searchcoil slowly across the target, and the soundwill communicate the target’s location. As you sweep from side to side, and hear no sound atthe ends of the sweep, the target is located in the middle of that zone, where the sound isloudest and the audio pitch is highest. If the sound is loud over a wide area, the buried objectis large. Use the PinPoint feature to trace an outline of such large objects.WRONGRIGHT17Comprehensive Operating Manual & Guide to Metal Detecting TEKNETICSDISCRIMINATION MODE (continued)2+: Two tones.Similar to 1+, except that iron produces a low-pitchedtone regardless signal strength. The discriminator iscontinuous. However, the iron tone feature relies on acombination of continuous and sampled processing.Useful if you want to hear all targets.3: Three different audio tones. Iron produces alow pitched tone. Aluminum trash and zinc penniesproduce a medium tone. Most other coins, includingnickels, produce a high tone. A combination ofcontinuous and sampled processing reduces thebreaking up of the tone due to deep objects, ormultiple objects close together. This method isusually preferred if you are searching for coins in a trashy area. Most users will set thediscrimination level below nickels, at about 50, and dig only objects that produce a consistentand repeatable high tone. NOTE: with this method, some steel bottle caps produce consistenthigh tones, similar to coins (see section on bottle cap identification).3b: Bottle Cap Mode Similar to 3, but modified so that steel bottle caps will usuallyproduce inconsistent, or non-repeatable, tones and broken sounds. There may be a slightreduction in the ability to separate adjacent targets. Use this method in areas with a highconcentration of steel bottle caps. Also refer to p. 25 for sweep techniques to aid in theidentification of steel bottle caps.4: Four different audio tones This method is similar to 3, but with a fourth medium-hightone for targets in the numeric range of 73 to 79. This four-tone system is useful for searchingin areas where there may be very old coins which register in this range.dP: Delta Pitch This method produces a tone whose pitch varies in relation to the visual IDnumber — the higher the ID, the higher the pitch. Good for relic hunting. Sampling is mostlycontinuous. This method is also useful in areas with a high concentration of steel bottle caps.Coins will produce a fairly constant pitch as you sweep back and forth. Bottle caps produceinconsistent tones, often with a squawk at the beginning of the sound.What You See vs. What You HearThe visual Target-ID displayed on the LCD is based entirely on sampled processing; thenumber displayed represents the snapshot. When using these different “# OF TONES”methods, the detector’s audible response may differ from the visual. Using these methods,there is not a 100% correspondence between what you see and what you hear, especially onburied targets where ground minerals influence Target-ID and audible response. By makingthe audio and visual systems independent, the T2 allows each system to do what it does best.The audio is optimized for quick response and target feel, whereas the visual system provides

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone have experience with a Teknetics T2 SE and a Racer 2 or Fors core?
Yes. I owned 3 Tek. T2's after their introduction, plus I was a Teknetics Dealer for a few years. Then, having parted with my former T2's, I bought two of the T2 'Classic' models with the 'package' to include the 5" DD coil. I have also owned a couple of Fisher F75's, but prefer the T2's, and honestly like the performance of the T2 'Classic' units of all the T2's I've had.

But let me clarify that by saying I liked their performance with the 5" DD coil in the very iron littered sites I hunt the most. I never was thrilled with the field performance of the 11" 'BiAxial'
(DD) coil in the sparse-target places I hunted. I wished there was a mid-sized Teknetics coil (I don't care for after-market search coils as I believe the detector maker should also make the best performing search coil as well) in something like 5X10 for the T2.

I got the Nokta FORS CoRe in hand, with a very good coil assortment to include what I call the 'OOR' DD coil (a 4.7X5.2 Out-Of-Round shape), a 5½X10 DD, the standard 7X11 DD and an over-sized coil for Cache Hunting or other open-area searches for larger-size targets. That was January of 2015 and I worked it afield against my White's MXT All-Pro and MX5, Tek.'s T2 'Classic' and Omega 8000, and a pair of Fisher F19's I also had purchased. I did a lot of indoor 'air test' sampling of an assortment of targets, then I evaluated all of these models outdoors in some field-test scenarios that are quite challenging.

I used my Nail Board Performance Test with all the detectors and coils I had for them, then took them to several old homesteads, barn areas, a ghost town and two encampment sites. While I did use them all for some local urban Coin Hunting, the bulk of my evaluation work was done at the older Relic Hunting sites I prefer to hunt. I started Coin Hunting in March of '65 when I started out detecting, got into Relic Hunting in May of '69, and since that time I enjoy doing both, but in the past 35+ years my emphasis focuses mainly of Relic Hunting, and most of those sites have ample discarded nails and other iron debris.

Based on ample experience and being an Avid Detectorist, it was easy for me to start trimming down my detector arsenal based on in-the-field results and a lot of side-by-side comparisons. The FORS CoRe easily slid into my #1 General Purpose detector spot in my arsenal. In February of 2015 I worked with the new Makro Racer, the original version, and it became a very close #2 unit in my detector battery and I started parting with all the other detectors I mentioned. They simply fell short on performance and/or features, and some didn't balance as well for me either.

In January of 2016 I got the soon-to-be released Nokta FORS Relic and Makro Racer 2 in-hand. I already had experience with the Nokta FORS Gold + at 19 kHz and the Makro Gold Racer at the Low Frequency of 56 kHz, and they were filling certain voids in my arsenal. Again I worked with these two new models, used my CoRe and Racer, and borrowed a T2 'Classic' and F19 to re-evaluate against the new units.

Due to the many iron littered old sites I hunt, and with the search coil options and field performance plus adjustable features, the FORS Relic became, and is still, my #1 general-purpose detector. Basically tied at a very close #2 spot are the FORS CoRe and Racer 2. These three detectors travel with me at all times when out hunting as there's ample room on the back seat of my pick-up for them.

I really don't need another detector, but I was wondering if either one had any advantages over my T2 se?
In my opinion, Yes, they do. I can tell you this: If there were no Nokta or Makro Detectors made and available, the T2 'Classic' w/5" DD coil would still be one of my top-end detectors.

Having clarified that, I will simply say that while I really like the T2 a lot, I prefer the Relic, CoRe and Racer 2 by far due to the company's search coil selection, the detector's design and adjustment features, their in-the-field performance, and that included getting better TID lock-on to most targets in the mid-depth to deeper detection range when they were compared side-by-side on the same located targets prior to target recovery.

Thanks for any opinions. Most of my hunting is for older coins at old home sites and in the woods, mostly trashy areas and many good targets quite deep.
Most of my hunting sites are non-urban, being rural in rangeland, forest and woods, and farmland. They include homesteads, ghost towns, stage stops, railroad sidings and depot sites, pioneer and military encampments, and some semi-urban locations like CCC Camps, POW Camps, and the like.

Nails being the primary ferrous junk, but many have an over-abundance of rusty tin and other discarded iron as well as non-ferrous debris. I am looking for any interesting small artifacts of interest, but I guess older-era coins and especially old Trade Tokens are of greater interest to me. I still hunt the same favorite ghost town where I got my start in Relic Hunting back in '69, and forty-seven plus years later it, and other old townsites in the general region, continue to produce the bulk of the nice artifacts from the surface to 4" depth range.

In areas where there isn't a lot of trash to cause good-target masking, I can achieve better depth, but not many targets at most of the places I hunt really get 'deep.' Usually anything in the 5" to 8" range is a very deep target.

Best of success with whatever you are using in the coming year, but I will encourage you to try and find a dealer or local user with a CoRe, Relic or Racer 2 and check them out.

Monte

OP
OP
l.cutler

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, lots to think about.

OP
OP
l.cutler

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think I will see how the Impact pans out, thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread