Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,

I am new to the world of metal detecting. I am looking to buy either the Relic or Gold+, but I cannot seem to settle on one. I want a good general purpose detector.

I live in southern AZ, and will probably want to do a little bit of prospecting, but not too much probably as I guess the best places for that are central and northern AZ.

I know they both are 19kHz. They both come with 2 coils. I like that the Relic has more modes/features. The biggest feature on the Relic that has my attention is the depth finder has an inches setting. The Gold+ can only give depth in cm which would probably drive me nuts.

I have read just about everything I can find on both units. Does anyone with experience on both units have any advice? I hope to primarily detect in the mountains on hiking trails, ghost towns, and random places, but I wouldn't mind finding some gold. ;)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about either one, but I know I can press one button on my Minelab X-terra 705 and switch it from a coin and relic hunter to a gold prospecting machine. So you might want to look into that.
I just wish I had somewhere to use the prospecting mode.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you'd be better off with the Fors Core or Relic (not the Gold). For the type of detecting you're interested in, You may want to look at the Makro Racer 2. Makro is the brother company to the Notka detectors. Myself and a few other local club members have been using the Racers here in Arizona and it performs extremely well in the type detecting you've mentioned.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icewing, I think you're lost. You can find your way back home here: Minelab

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, do you have experience with the Relic? I have looked at the Racer 2 a little bit. The R2 costs more than the Relic, and the Relic comes with the extra coil and such. Have you experience with the regular red Racer?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whites MXT will fit the bill great and the depth is on par with any high end detector out there. HH

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ckpage86 - I don't have any personal experience with the Relic. I have hunted with a few folks that have had success with them though. I know that two of the guys that have the Relic also have the Racer 2. I had an original Red Racer and I liked it so well that I had to get the Racer 2 when it was released. The Racer is a great detector but the Racer 2 offered a couple of features that I wanted. Especially the Iron Audio and the Notch which is nice for when you just want to vacuum up clad coins from really trashy parks.

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are strictly a relic hunter in old homesteads, ghost towns , mining areas and such and cam only have one then the relic would be the best. If you like to throw in some park hunting and need the notch then the R2 would work. I have used the relic with the 7 x 11 in 3 tone in the local park though and it did really well on clad coins. Personally for the price and the fact you also get the small coil I feel the relic is a better deal

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, do you have experience with the Relic? I have looked at the Racer 2 a little bit. The R2 costs more than the Relic, and the Relic comes with the extra coil and such. Have you experience with the regular red Racer?

86 I have the red R and the Relic. The Racer did well for me, I then got the Relic with extra coils and after hunting with it I have not used the Racer much. The Relic is doing what I need in the areas I used those unit in. For the price and what you get the Relic is a great pick. I like using the 5.5 and the 5x10 in the old house sites. Smalls seem to pop out easier than the Racer but you are using 19khz...little more sparky but none the less, a great unit to swing.

OP
OP
ckpage86

ckpage86

Jan 7, 2017
Tucson, AZ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I got the money KellyCo has the Relic on backorder...I emailed them asking how long they will be out of stock, but haven't heard back yet.

I was also looking around at other cheaper options, and saw the Whites Treasure Master Pro, which I think looks nice. Also, the Garrett AT Pro seems to be popular, and it is waterproof, but the display is cheesy.

I really am digging the coil options with the Relic though, and the pin pointer you get for free. My current detector (actually my 10 yr old sons; I swing, he digs) is the Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. I figure almost anything would be an improvement, and the Relic would be a good machine to grow into but then again every time I get on my computer I looked around and keep being pulled to other things. That free pin pointer with the Nokta keeps pulling me back though.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bells and whistles look nice but the unit is what does the work. All you have to do is take the time and learn what it's telling you. I got the ATP for water hunting but soon seen it too works well in the iron with the 5x8 coil. Tornado coil for more open areas. Several units out there that will do the job but ask yourself how and what type sites do you hunt the most. Do you water hunt or plan to. List goes on lol

either unit I think would do what is needed. Heard good things on both as far as CS but must say Nokta is the top pick on that side from what I've seen myself and from others. As far as the whites, know nothing about it.

Good of luck on your pick and HH

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The White's Treasure Master Pro can't hold a candle to the Relic or Racer when it comes to hunting ghost town sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread