Is There Any Reason Someone Would Prefer The Fors CoRe Over The Relic?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there anything better about the Fors CoRe? For the record I'm very impressed with my newly acquired Fors CoRe and have only read about the Relic. I've tried the Racer 2 and wasn't so impressed. It's not a bad detector, I just like the Fors CoRe better. There are some things that I don't like about the Fors CoRe, for one thing the pinpoint rocker switch is not rubber booted to keep the mud and crud out.

Metal detecting can be a messy muddy hobby sometimes and every time you grab the handle and use the switch with a muddy hand or glove you're going to sooner or later screw up the unprotected pinpoint rocker switch.

Worried about this issue I ordered the rain covers for the unit. What a joke, the handle cover has a notch in it that exposes the pinpoint rocker switch. That wasn't well thought out and besides the plastic that is covering the screen on handle gives off a lot of glare making it hard to read the VDI numbers. Not to be deterred, I got some plastic from a sandwich bag and some duct tape and fixed the problem.

On a bright note, the Fors CoRe has a lightening fast recovery speed and does the best job at unmasking of any VDI detector that I've ever used. Period

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the Nokta Fors Core and the Relic?

tabman

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to a comparison myself between those two. Besides the frequency difference i often wonder if the processor pcb specs are far different in terms of processing power between the core and relic. I agree in regards to a case cover. Not one manufacturer has offered a quality fair priced alternative. I use neoprene custom boot for mine when it rains or is muddy. Have not been able to buy a case cover for any of my Cores. Also a simple rubber O ring around the battery case would be nice. Dirt and grit can easily get in there making contact with the surface mount components Nokta.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really liking both the CoRe and Relic a lot for different reasons. I hate to give one up, but I don't really need both.

tabman

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never ran a core, but when I was shopping I was trying to decide between the core and relic.
From what I read, the relic is a core at 19khz and extra hunting modes.
That being said the frequency change alone would make a different experience and I was considering getting a core when they had their holiday special with the covers and the pinpointer free but I missed out. :-(
Interested in hearing someone who has done a direct comparison

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run both detectors in question here.
For a beginner,,,CoRe probably better choice.

Nokta relic detector,,sparkier,,,easier to run Nokta relic gain too high vs CoRe unit.

Both with small coils very good in around iron and nails.

Relic detector,,,on average a better unmasker when it comes to lower conductors vs CoRE unit.

High conductors in and around iron,,,these detectors more nearer one another when it comes to unmasking,,,but even saying this slight edge to Relic detector.

Having the adjustable tone break while in 3 tone does give a user more options while using relic detector

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman:
I have the Makro Racer and have already lost the rubber boot from the rocker switch. Rather than replace the boot, I used Sugru and made my own. It's a moldable putty that turns to a rubber like compound when it dries. It works just as good if not better then a rubber boot and i'm not worried in the least that it will fall off. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tabman:
I have the Makro Racer and have already lost the rubber boot from the rocker switch. Rather than replace the boot, I used Sugru and made my own. It's a moldable putty that turns to a rubber like compound when it dries. It works just as good if not better then a rubber boot and i'm not worried in the least that it will fall off. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

Oh please do!

tabman

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the sugru on the rocker switch. It's not very pretty and I may have been able to do a better job, but it does the trick and keeps the dirt out, and I can still feel the click of the switch. A 3 pack of red yellow and blue will cost you about 11 bucks from Amazon. and you have to use the whole pack once you open it or else it will dry out. Just make a list of stuff you can use it on you'd be surprised what it can do.

IMG_1694[1].JPG IMG_1697[1].JPG IMG_1699[1].JPG

That's an invisible shield on the screen.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread