New Makro Racer - VDI confusion

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, I just got a Makro Racer (the red one). It seems to be reading everything as 82... foil, iron, pull tabs, bottle caps. This is in two tone and three tone. All other settings at default.

I have dug a lot of bits of foil because they sound just like coins. This, to me, is absolutely unacceptable. My old ACE 250 could at least tell tell the difference between a coin and a piece of foil.

Also, the depth indicator is WAY off. Consistently by a few inches. I changed the mode to "US" so it's reading in inches and still off.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this just how this detector operates?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a problem. Get in touch with your dealer pronto!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeremiah, did you purchase the unit new or used? If new, I would contact the dealer as that should definitely not be happening. Worst case contact Nokta support [email protected]. Their support is very good. I had an issue with the large coil when I received mine (would continuously overload no matter what). I had purchased it from a dealer. I contacted them, they in turn contacted Nokta and I literally had a new coil in the mail within the week. Never had a problem since.

Hope it all works out for you.

Happy Hunting!
TwoYewts

OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought it new through KellyCo. I have emailed them and I am awaiting their response. Thanks for the confirmation that I am not, in fact, crazy. I knew something wasn't quite right!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol yeah you are definitely not crazy. Foil should be showing up in the low 40s, pull tabs in the 55 to low 60s range, etc. 82 should be more or less the copper penny range. Keep us posted on how things work out with both Kellyco and Nokta so that others on this forum are informed :)

-TwoYewts

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is exactly why I got rid of my Racer, everything rang up in the 80's and the huge amount of foil I dug was killing me. With every other unit I have used (been doing this 35+ years) foil is usually a scratchy, broken signal. NOT with the racer! It would ring in anywhere fro 40 to mid 70's and even higher if it was a big piece.
I have the Racer2 now as I heard good things about it as far as better target recognition but have not really been ably to put in enough time with it to give it a good going over.

Do a google search of Makro Racer issues

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, Choppa was that with the 11" coil or the 5" coil? I use the 5" coil for about 95% of the time. I sparingly use the 11" since the lots I hunt tend to be full of junk. I haven't experienced the issue you listed. I did run into major problems with the 11" like I noted in the previous post; but, once the coil was replaced it ran without a problem. Just curious which coil you used.

-TwoYewts

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright,,,let's talk Red Racer and vdis.

I have had one in the past,,,I am very familiar with it,,and how it performs.

As far as a coins go,,,,listen to the tone moreso,,,vs vdi reading.

If a person runs stock coil,,,and then run the smallest coil,,,,here is what you will see when hunting.

The vdi range on the detector is compressed,,,,nonferrous running 41-99.

So yes even some larger foil could ring in higher,, closer to coin range.

Comparing signals,,,between a target that is detectable with both stock sized coil and the smallest coil,,,what are the differences.

Tone provided on some targets (junk).

For example a non crushed screw cap when swept with smallest coil,,,the tone will be dodgy,,vs short and clear on a higher conductive coin,,,like penny, dime and quarter.

Now a smashed screw cap,,,some times here,,a user will be fooled,,,since the crushing of cap,,,allows the detector to view this as higher quality metal.

Using stock coil,,,,this difference here noted on screw caps not as apparent tone wise as noted above.

Users while using stock coil,,,,should consider listening to the tone,,,the edges of the tone,,the duration,,and the clarity.
Good quality headphones help here.

Tone first,,always.

VDI
Yes the detector will throw a lot of things ID wise at or near a reading of 82.

Some things a user can do to judge quality of target while using stock coil.

Lift coil slightly,,if the target drops out,,,,if not deep,,,likely a junk target,,,could be bottle cap.

Move coil while sweeping forwards and backwards small amounts,,,,on shallower targets,,,lower conductors ID in screen likely to be fidgety reading,,,bottle caps will usually drop out as they near the coils edge,,or tone becomes compromised.

Real small targets,,,,it is possible the detector will start to up average on these,,,even a small pice of foil at 4" for example.

Again slightly lifting coil,,,will flush out a lot of junk, smaller targets.

It will take some practice here.

Tone nuisance on targets,, far greater with the smallest coil,,,,as coil size grows this nuance sounding will diminish some.

Depth meter accuracy,, for US coins it reads high,,,all the red Racers do. I think it was designed to be close accuracy wise to say a half dollar us coin.
I don't put much stock in many depth meters on any detector really,,,maybe one exception here the graph depth meters on Minelab etrac for example.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is REALLy excellent advice. I will try all of your suggestions the next time I head out. I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions