Makro Gold Racer - recent finds.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the changing weather, there is more daylight to get out and do some detecting.

Here are two pictures of some rocks I have been showing off, which were recently found with the Gold Racer.

gold.jpg

gld1.jpg

All of the gold was float/tailings gold associated with two different pocket mine areas.

In the first picture, I ran the GR in ALL Metal, sensitivity set at 80-85, threshold set at 20-23, iSAT set at 06-07, Tracking OFF, High tone ON, Audio Boost ON.
Everything was found using the 5" round DD coil, which I feel provides a much sharper signal on small gold.

Strong loud signals in the range of 06-10, 19-21, and 97-99 didn't get any of my time because I was cherry picking.
Other signals got investigated, especially those in the 35-50 range.
All dug signals got looked at in DISC Mode 2 (Sensitivity 88, ID Filter 19, iMask 01, Tone Break 28) to see how it interpreted the signal. Disc Mode 2 provides a significantly better signal on small targets than DISC Mode 1. Thus far I have had no use for DISC Mode 1....maybe some other users can enlighten me as to how to utilize this mode? Supposed to be used in very high mineralization areas, which I have not encountered yet.

In the second picture I was running about the same settings (ALL Metal) using the 5" round coil. This target was about 8"-10" deep (I didn't measure). It was a very definite mellow, large sounding signal, I think it was 37 on the target ID initially when I started digging. DISC Mode 2, would not return a Target ID.

As I dug deeper the target ID # climbed to 49 and the detector was screaming at me each time I checked the hole. I began looking for signs of rust stains. When the signal was gone and I had not found a tin can lid, I began looking in the pile of dirt for a broken pick tip (they sound exactly like a 1/2 ounce nugget)...luckily it ended up being a piece of ore.

I took the piece of ore to a nearby creek and started washing the clay off...after it was mostly clean, I noticed that I had some small loose pieces of gold on my fingers...oops. Next time I'll be more careful.

That lingering question that I have been tossing around...is the GR as good or better than the Gold Bug 2 for gold prospecting is quickly being answered each time I come back with gold. It is as good and probably better in the right hands.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a follow up - initially all of the settings seemed confusing and I was a little worried it may be too complex and I'd always be wondering if it was tuned right.

It's not bad at all once you get to know it. I only frequently change settings because I switch back and forth between nugget hunting and coin/relic. Otherwise there would be little need to change too many settings. Maybe sensitivity and iSAT.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

I wish gold existed where I live.

Congrats.

OP
OP
IMAUDIGGER

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took another hike after work yesterday....only a couple hours of daylight left and I parked along the road and walked the 1/4 mile down to the creek. I slowly worked my way up the creek...not really too focused, just keeping the coil on the ground as much as I could as I walked. Not really swinging it. I have found some really good stuff doing that, which seems unlikely.

Ended up about 3/4 mile upstream when darkness started setting in. I didn't have a head lamp, but figured I'd just use the LED flash light which is built into the detector to make my way up the hill to the road if worse came to worse.

I stopped detecting when I couldn't see what was being dug up...then just walked up the hill in the darkness. Nothing really to show for my efforts other than finding an interesting spot to go back to this evening.

As I quietly walked down the mountain back to the car, the lights of town were already shining bright down in the valley.

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Gold man - I love that second pic of the gold in the quartz - well done

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the changing weather, there is more daylight to get out and do some detecting.

Here are two pictures of some rocks I have been showing off, which were recently found with the Gold Racer.

View attachment 1421737

View attachment 1421736

All of the gold was float/tailings gold associated with two different pocket mine areas.

In the first picture, I ran the GR in ALL Metal, sensitivity set at 80-85, threshold set at 20-23, iSAT set at 06-07, Tracking OFF, High tone ON, Audio Boost ON.
Everything was found using the 5" round DD coil, which I feel provides a much sharper signal on small gold.

Strong loud signals in the range of 06-10, 19-21, and 97-99 didn't get any of my time because I was cherry picking.
Other signals got investigated, especially those in the 35-50 range.
All dug signals got looked at in DISC Mode 2 (Sensitivity 88, ID Filter 19, iMask 01, Tone Break 28) to see how it interpreted the signal. Disc Mode 2 provides a significantly better signal on small targets than DISC Mode 1. Thus far I have had no use for DISC Mode 1....maybe some other users can enlighten me as to how to utilize this mode? Supposed to be used in very high mineralization areas, which I have not encountered yet.

In the second picture I was running about the same settings (ALL Metal) using the 5" round coil. This target was about 8"-10" deep (I didn't measure). It was a very definite mellow, large sounding signal, I think it was 37 on the target ID initially when I started digging. DISC Mode 2, would not return a Target ID.

As I dug deeper the target ID # climbed to 49 and the detector was screaming at me each time I checked the hole. I began looking for signs of rust stains. When the signal was gone and I had not found a tin can lid, I began looking in the pile of dirt for a broken pick tip (they sound exactly like a 1/2 ounce nugget)...luckily it ended up being a piece of ore.

I took the piece of ore to a nearby creek and started washing the clay off...after it was mostly clean, I noticed that I had some small loose pieces of gold on my fingers...oops. Next time I'll be more careful.

That lingering question that I have been tossing around...is the GR as good or better than the Gold Bug 2 for gold prospecting is quickly being answered each time I come back with gold. It is as good and probably better in the right hands.

Thank you so much for sharing this... can we share this with others with your permission?

Dilek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread