Nokta Impact Depth Measurement Accuracy?

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm watching the newly emerging youtube videos on the Nokta Impact.

First target said 20cm (7.87 inches) and he proceeds to dig the target out at only 2 or so inches down.
Second target said 10cm (3.93 inches) and he proceeds to dig the target out at less than an inch down.
Fourth target said 30cm (11.8 inches) and he digs it out at around 4 inches.

Is there something I'm missing?? Why are the depth readings so far off?? I have already pre-ordered, but I would like to to as much "reconnaissance" as I can before it arrives.

On a side note.. what digger is he using?? that thing looks great!

This video:

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont care for the pin point sound. Sounds like my Bounty Hunter on a coin. While I like the big numbers they jumped around a lot on shallow coins. The detector appears toyish also, how do these handle the abuse of harsh environments? That was not a decent plug either, you need to dig straight down and get under the roots. This keeps the mower from picking up the plug and the roots being damaged. I had to stop there. I think the video was very well made, and hope this helps in future videos. My attention span is very short.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont care for the pin point sound. Sounds like my Bounty Hunter on a coin. While I like the big numbers they jumped around a lot on shallow coins. The detector appears toyish also, how do these handle the abuse of harsh environments? That was not a decent plug either, you need to dig straight down and get under the roots. This keeps the mower from picking up the plug and the roots being damaged. I had to stop there. I think the video was very well made, and hope this helps in future videos. My attention span is very short.

Detector appears toyish??

Well, I am a tester for unit,,have been running it alongside Minelab CTX,,Xp Deus.
No toy look or feeling,,,or performance from the Impact detector.

If someone hunts with you with Impact,,,you had better respect it.
If you don't..You might get egg on your face.

Trust me on this.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm watching the newly emerging youtube videos on the Nokta Impact.

First target said 20cm (7.87 inches) and he proceeds to dig the target out at only 2 or so inches down.
Second target said 10cm (3.93 inches) and he proceeds to dig the target out at less than an inch down.
Fourth target said 30cm (11.8 inches) and he digs it out at around 4 inches.

Is there something I'm missing?? Why are the depth readings so far off?? I have already pre-ordered, but I would like to to as much "reconnaissance" as I can before it arrives.

On a side note.. what digger is he using?? that thing looks great!

This video:

Good observation Jeremiah.

That video is done with a unit,,that is not the lastest version update.
New update since this video was made has corrected what you see in the video with depth meter.

I even communicated this very thing to Manufacturer's rep,,,and it was corrected.
Remember though the meter is driven by coin/target size.
It may read a little higher on a dime vs a quarter at the same depth.

Now,,the person posting video,,,since this video was done,,,based on what the video producer says time frame wise early Feb,,,Impact version update also added capability for a person to see actual versions update loaded in detector.

When this video was made,,,this being able to view update info,,was not possible,,,but now it is.

So folks can check their units when they get them.
It will be explained in operator's manual how to view this info at detector turn on.
And when folks,,,if a new update comes out later,,and purchasers do update their detectors,,they will be able to verify this process completed by accessing the info.

If any Impact testers read here.
Please when you do do videos,,,show the audience the version update data in the display of machine...actually make the version update part of your video title.

This way folks watching even months or years from now,,will know which version applies to what they see performance wise in the video.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hold off on new unit for at least 6 months. I may loose some dig time, but just dont like reading about all the fixes that need done. I would gladly welcome someone with a racer to hunt with me, and if they found something I would be glad for them. Looks like a good beginner machine. Its a lil pricey compared to my F75 or AT Pro.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tnsharpshooter - Thanks for clearing that depth issue up. It was odd seeing such depths on screen and yet his carrot was picking them up from the surface.

The Impact has a nice sharp look to it, like the Deus. I will keep my eye on both. Hope someone buys one then needs money for truck or something and I can grab their barley used machine!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hold off on new unit for at least 6 months. I may loose some dig time, but just dont like reading about all the fixes that need done. I would gladly welcome someone with a racer to hunt with me, and if they found something I would be glad for them. Looks like a good beginner machine. Its a lil pricey compared to my F75 or AT Pro.

Yep good detector for a beginner,,as well as intermediate as well as advanced detectorist.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever notice how the testers get a free machine and attack others or push that brand.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever notice how the testers get a free machine and attack others or push that brand.

I haven't told anyone to buy any detector here.
I really couldn't care less who buys what detector.

Common sense tells me,,,a person looking at this Nokta/Makro subsection part of the forum,,I would hope they are either interested or want to know more about the different models of Nokta/Makro detectors,,,not to make flagrant statements about a detector they have not even touched.

Look around on some of the other forums,,,I talk about each and every detector I have owned and ran/run.
Some more than others obviously,,,because I use them more.

Just remember what I said about Impact earlier.

So,,if you fail to heed,,,you can't come back here and say I didn't tell you so.

Last edited:

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes I have read the reports tn shooter. Thanks for the in depth testing but you are talking about 1 or 2 mm when comparing depth to a F75 ,Deus etc. Hardly seems like a ball breaker? How do you measure 1mm in the field?

where I come from 1mm is really splitting hairs !

I personally know of someone who faked ALOT of finds so he could recieve his free test machine (which he plans to not return).

No offence, when I have swept an area clean with the F75 I feel fairly confident that its job done. When you say you have to sweep the area 3 times ....makes my arm sore just thinking about it...

plus for those of us that are weight concious you have to carry around 3 coils built into one the whole day.....yet can only use one frequency at a time...ummm nope.

At that price it surely should be waterproof?

and now it sounds like you have to update every other week, therefore more down time....then what? re learn the detector after every 'update' another 100 hours?

1.8kg? Sorry but thats just a tank for me. NOTE It appears this is a number that ALL testers of this machine are evasive about!!!!

and the 'All new" detector that uses the racer back end?

Sorry to be negative, but not enough detector to justify the $$ for me.

on the plus side you got a free detector!

Last edited:

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I have read the reports tn shooter. Thanks for the in depth testing but you are talking about 1 or 2 mm when comparing depth to a F75 ,Deus etc. Hardly seems like a ball breaker? How do you measure 1mm in the field?

where I come from 1mm is really splitting hairs !

I personally know of someone who faked ALOT of finds so he could recieve his free test machine (which he plans to not return).

No offence, when I have swept an area clean with the F75 I feel fairly confident that its job done. When you say you have to sweep the area 3 times ....makes my arm sore just thinking about it...

plus for those of us that are weight concious you have to carry around 3 coils built into one the whole day.....yet can only use one frequency at a time...ummm nope.

At that price it surely should be waterproof?

and now it sounds like you have to update every other week, therefore more down time....then what? re learn the detector after every 'update' another 100 hours?

1.8kg? Sorry but thats just a tank for me. NOTE It appears this is a number that ALL testers of this machine are evasive about!!!!

and the 'All new" detector that uses the racer back end?

Sorry to be negative, but not enough detector to justify the $$ for me.

on the plus side you got a free detector!

Updates do not cause down time,,,remember these updates are actually,,many of them a result of tester info being supplied to manufacturer in order to make the detector overall a better unit.
One nice thing,,manufacturer I am pretty sure when an update is supplied to folks after detector is release,,,update as far as what is affected will be disclosed.
So it could affect some use of the detector,,but I think it would be a stretch to say the entire detector has to be relearned.
These updates,,to my knowledge,,folks will not be charged for them,,and they will be optional,for folks if they decide.

Price,,folks will have their opinions here,,no matter which model detector is newly released.

Weight,,,it is not the lightest or the heaviest...If I would have had accurate scales to weigh,,Inwouldmhave and reported,,,but I sure don't want to post erroneous info.

As far as your Fisher model performance,,,you have your opinion here on this,,I have mine,,,Inhave used original unit F75 with boost units and DST units to boot.

When purchasers start reporting on the Impact and hunting alongside F75 model users and Deus users,,,I'm sure we will see some data that just might surprise you.

Btw,,you want to know what down time is,,,this is when you have to ship a detector off for firmware change to get the emi out of the detector.
Or to ship one off,,to get the audio straightened out with firmware updates.
And keep shipping these same units back and forth because even the updated firmware it seems was faulty.

Last edited:

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally havent experienced shipping or problems with any detector.Ever. My F75 is the latest platform with no issues what so ever.
Minelab, no issues. Whites no issues.

The nokta fors series had the rocker switch change early on. Released to market too early.
The Makro racer had broken coil ears . Released to market too early.

Strangly they say on the ads 'you told us , we listened' or something like that. But the truth is that what most people want is reliability. If id hiked 6 hours each way to a detecting site only to have a coil ear break I would simply never contemplate that brand.

I am curious to know how you can tell mm differences in depth between machines in real world detecting.

I am sure its a good detector . I have a Nokta pinpointer and cant speak highly enough of it.

All advice I have ever read is to put in the 100 hours. I think if it were me I would put in the 100 hours first.

But you are correct, time will tell. Just like the racer and the fors.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally havent experienced shipping or problems with any detector.Ever. My F75 is the latest platform with no issues what so ever.
Minelab, no issues. Whites no issues.

The nokta fors series had the rocker switch change early on. Released to market too early.
The Makro racer had broken coil ears . Released to market too early.

Strangly they say on the ads 'you told us , we listened' or something like that. But the truth is that what most people want is reliability. If id hiked 6 hours each way to a detecting site only to have a coil ear break I would simply never contemplate that brand.

I am curious to know how you can tell mm differences in depth between machines in real world detecting.

I am sure its a good detector . I have a Nokta pinpointer and cant speak highly enough of it.

All advice I have ever read is to put in the 100 hours. I think if it were me I would put in the 100 hours first.

But you are correct, time will tell. Just like the racer and the fors.

Do you have a question about Impact detector??
This is an Impact thread btw.

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. This is Dilek – Sales and Marketing Manager of Nokta & Makro products.

I just wanted to chime in here so the readers are not misled by some of the posts here.
It is true that we had issues with early releases of some of the models just like every single manufacturer in this industry had.
Ear breakages - We have never denied it and I personally made a declaration on all forums that I am a member of and we have replaced every single one of them up to date and we will continue to do for every case moving forward as well.
We have not had 1 ear breakage on the racer 2 coils and all the original Red Racers have been shipping with the Racer 2 coils for many months now.

Impact has been being tested by more than 30 people around the world with some testers testing it since October 2016.
We have updated so many things since the first day of the field tests and now we feel we are ready to release it.
This does not mean that we will have 0% failure as this is impossible to achieve in any sector or industry in the world.

And regarding the comment about the updates:
THIS MACHINE IS NOT RELEASED TO PUBLIC YET. THE UPDATES ARE FOR THE TESTERS BASED ON FEEDBACKS RECEIVED FROM THEM AS WELL AS FORUM MEMBERS. WE JUST LET THE TESTERS SPEAK OPENLY ABOUT THIS ON THE FORUMS.

And lastly I will just copy and post my comments from another forum regarding the IMPACT and testers:
''Hello everybody.
I wanted to chime in here and say a few words as I have been reading some of the posts with mixed emotions - disappointment / sadness / surprise …BUT with confidence all the way.

It has never been a secret that we send free test units to people around the world and we do this for 2 reasons ONLY:
1. We want our devices to be tested by certain individuals such as Tom D, Keith Southern, Steve Herschbach , Monte etc. ASSUMING that the detector community do respect their opinions and feedbacks.
2. We get the units tested on different grounds and environmental conditions to be able to offer end users around the world the most optimized and bug-free device.

For the first time with the IMPACT though, we decided to send the unit to more testers with different experience levels and to people who seem to be very satisfied with certain competition models (such as Lawrenzo – and I mean no insult with this). Moreover, we WERE ASKED RIGHT ON THIS FORUM by some members to send this unit to a hardcore coin hunter and I personally said ‘’ Name a hardcore coin hunter that the majority of the members would agree to.’’
I was given 2 names – we ended up sending one of them the unit – ‘’ wjs’’ as his name came up first and we had limited testing units at the time!

We have never, at any point, ASKED or REQUESTED any of these testers to talk about the device on forums or any other social media as our sole purpose was to advance the detector based on their findings and that is how we ended up with revision v1.11 with the software!
We only asked them NOT to talk about it until we made the official announcement. And we have NOT asked them to tell us what they were going to say in advance or had any kind of influence on what they were going to share! The only thing we asked them was to state the revision of the software if they were to share videos to avoid confusion and misinformation. Every one of them can vouch for this.
Now, we sent this unit to others in the UK, France, Italy, Australia and many other countries. Most of these people are not writing on forums or talking about the device at all. The testers ARE not picked to advertise BUT to test the units and give us feedbacks. Advertising is my job and I do not do that on forums!

We have never made any unrealistic claims about the IMPACT and stated that it was a ground breaking technology - Neither any VLF device on the market today is. BUT we do have a lot of features of the IMPACT and our other devices that are unique to our company and engineering and this is a fact. Therefore, it is really hard for us to comprehend how some people who have not even seen a device belonged to our company- let alone using it – could make comments about our devices or their performances.

Now regarding the testers – I, as the Sales & Marketing Manager of Nokta & Makro will not let any of these testers to be subject to slander or abuse.
These people spend hours and hours testing the product and believe me they do not need to go thru the hassle to get 1 free device. Most of them ask us what they will do with the device after the tests and we ask them to keep it because:
1. It will cost us a lot of money and time to get these units imported back here with all the customs laws and bureaucracy here.
2. I personally think they deserve a lot more for what they give back to us.
I, once again, THANK all testers for the time and effort they have spent to test the IMPACT and I do apologize that some of them were criticized very unfairly.

HOWEVER, if many members and the testers agree, I would be more than happy to tell them not to post anything on the forums before or after release for the next project . We are a very open and honest company. All we need is their feedbacks to better the product – we don’t need the hype or the talk. The product will speak for itself.

The success of our company and/or products should not intimidate anybody as we, as a company, have a lot of respect for competition and we truly believe that competition forces manufacturers to offer better products and benefits the end-users at the end. As they are working on new technologies, we are not just waiting or watching. They may succeed with the famous engineers today …we may succeed with the famous engineers of the future….only time will tell.

My personal intake on all this - We, as a company, will just keep on working more and more and delivering… the rest is up to our valued customers' - whom we owe were we are today - appreciation and decision!

THANK YOU all on behalf of my team and company.

Dilek''

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an F75 DST model (many of these went back and forth to Fisher to fix the DST update). I also had the AT Pro ( many of the first units had to be returned to Garrett for water leaks). I sold both and couldn't be happier with my Racer 2. I like it so well that I'll keep it even after I get the Impact. Just sayin'

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same guy giving a thumbs up to impact has also given thumbs up to many detectors. Thread seems biased. I see the detector Mills are starting up again. Every unit has had one guy who was not happy. I am hearing great things and seeing nothing but lip Service. Will not be following this thread until it gets some manners

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm glad to see that the depth meter was fixed in an update. I have not personally used a Makro/Nokta detector, but I am starting to seriously consider getting an Impact. I do indeed own an F75 as well as an XP Deus and have a Tesoro Mojave on the way, so I'm not brand loyal. I respect all the testers info that they have been giving and do not think they are being pushed in any way to "talk up" the machine. When the reviews first started coming out I was not tempted to want to get the detector based on what I was reading. As with anything though, you have to give it time and thats what the testers did and now they are sharing it with us. I will respect that all day every day. Only way to know how I will like it, is to try one myself

kajunoutlaw

Jun 3, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 350 / F75 LTD2/ AT MAX/ Multi Kruzer/ Nox 800

Have used many detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Its a lil pricey compared to my F75 or AT Pro.

Until the recent price drop by Fisher, the F75 LTD was more expensive. The ATP isn't comparable to the Impact other than they're both detectors. The Impact is more detector than the ATP which oddly enough, coincides with the Impact costing more.

but just dont like reading about all the fixes that need done.
Like Fisher , Garrett and Whites have had to deal with ? Or is your pithiness Nokta exclusive ?

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Interesting thread.

I owned the ATP, and it was sent in at my expense so they could "upgrade" it to having proper camlocks, and a water seal upgrade.

I've owned a F75 LTD since 2009 and it's been to FT several times for various issues. Even the DST upgrade had to be done twice. It currently works just like it should.

I can tell you if you think you're cleaning out a site with a single pass with a F75, your having delusions of grandeur. I also own the Red Racer and Racer 2, and have done many tests between them and my F75, and interestingly they've found many, many items the F75 did not.

Personally I'm looking forward to using the Impact, with 12 different search modes, highly customizable audio, three frequencies, flag ship unmasking and speed, optional wireless headphones, and a plethora of other useful settings, for those that take it seriously and put in an honest effort to learn it, they'll be pleasantly surprised. Those who don't, I look forward to detecting behind your legacy technology detector.

After watching the White's MX Sport release disaster unfold, I probably wouldn't be trying to cast a negative image on the couple of issues Mak/Nok has encountered. At least they owned up to them, and have taken excellent care of their customers, unlike the other company that basically tried to sweep the issues under the rug.

-Cal

Last edited:

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal_Cobra;5347154 After watching the White's MX Sport release disaster unfold said:
How so many of the negative Nancy's overlook this, yet get bent about not being selected as an Impact tester is just baffling.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread