4/28 Nokta impact next 4 hunts.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I have owned the Impact for one week and after finding the pair of silver rings on the first hunt, which was Friday, 4/21. I was stoked to see what the next few hunts would be.

4/22- This site was a site were I found 100's of silver coins. It used to be an old fair ground. The place was a swamp, and after a few hours, I was soaked and only had four wheat pennys. I didn't dig many targets at all.I ran di3 and di2. In some areas, the chattiness was unbearable(yea running high gain). After a few adjustments, I got it under control.

4/23- I wanted to hit all the spots I have hit with all my detectors. Most of these spots were drained of finds. The first spot, known as "The Cannons", is a war memorial from the late 1700's. Over the years, we have picked it clean, so there isn't much left in the way of conductive targets. I experimented with settings and dug about 7 targets, only one was a "good" target which was a .32 shell casing. Most were conductive trash and I dug only two iron nails.Again a bout with chattiness, but it settled down after a while.

The next spot was a heavily hunted out park. I found quite a bit of clad, and then there was a nice sounding target. It turned out to be a dime-sized silver cross(3rd silver with impact). How the hell did we miss that after all these years?

4/27- I went solo to a church field I hit a hundred times. I had video but, the sound was so low you cant hear me(dont worry, I will try again). Clad is hard to find here, but I managed to pull out 2 zincs, 2 copper memorial, 2 dimes and a nickel, I had a small bout with EMI again, but manged to control it. The ratio of trash to good finds was about 2-1.

4/28- My father and I hit an army base we got permission for. However, it was next to an area with a few private homes and we were under scrutiny(I will leave it at that). The good news is, there were good sounding targets, that I could easily identify as trash. We didn't stay too long, and I ended up with a quarter, a dime and a 1948 wheatie.

Next spot was a library we have permission at. This place was hit severely as the grounds keeper once told us that, people have been coming here since the 1970's detecting. Although my father has done really well here, I could never find any real keepers but wheats. As we approached this site, my father said to me, "You never give this place a chance, today, I want you to give it a chance". That seemed to motivate me. I dug 20 coins.7 zincs, 7 copper pennies, and 5 dimes(I know im short one coin ;) ). I was in an area I hit with the CTX dozens of times and got a 7 inch high tone with a 84-87 TID. I dug down and saw a glint of silver. It was a 1964 silver dime(Silver number four with the Impact)! First silver there in all these years! It may have been instinct, my experience, and/or the Impact that gave me the feeling it was silver.

TID's of note

One TID was a solid 78 and it was three zincs in one hole

Most good condition(full circular shape) zincs came in at 70-71 at 0-4 inches

Rotted zincs 64-69 same depth

Copper pennys were 80-86

Quarters 89-91

Dimes were 84-89

Wheats 75-78

Other notes:

One week four silvers in hunted out spots. I will take it!

I hardly dig any iron. I seem to be able to tell if it is iron or not. I only got fooled about 4 times.

Di3 is a great all around program especially if it is a new site.

The EMI that I get for the standard coil really concerns me as it is SO in-frequent and seems to only happen after a while. I hope its just a case of the site and/or the high gain.

Love the separation I am seeing. In high target areas, it finds good targets.

Be careful with, what I call, "catching the partial". Catch the edge of a target and it sounds good, so you dig and can't find it, only to re-sweep and see you were only catching the edge of the target.

The last half hour I ran the Impact with the battery indicator "empty" and it still didnt shut off.

The batteries lasted about one week or 12-16 hours. The funny thing though, I used these batteries in my f75 for a year(about 12 hours).

When I switched to 5khz the battery indicator dipped 1-2 bars. I hope they can fix the large drain of the 5khz frequency. It would be nice if it was just a program glitch :)

When I switched it from 5khz to the other frequencies, the indicator went back up.

In 5khz, surface foil hits strong(not broken sounding).

Mosquitoes are bad already!

Pollen is bad too as my coil has a nice shade of light green dust on it.

Well, as I am typing this at 2:19 AM, the rain is coming down heavy. I will try to get out Saturday and Sunday with a few more reports.

Thanks for reading stay tuned!

Indiana Mark

Jul 28, 2016
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Safari
Fisher F75+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well written report, thanks!
Looking forward to swinging the impact.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. Thanks for the writeup. Eyeing this detector and it's reports like yours (i.e., with actual facts, not emotion) that I am looking for. So kudos for that and congrats on your finds. Fun variety of places to hunt. I subscribe to the theory that things are constantly moving up and down in the ground due to a variety of mechanisms (water, frost, landscaping, construction, even target recovery that may disturb presently masked targets). So a place that has been able to "collect" targets, rarely gives 100% of them up. So a "hunted out", but past productive site, can always give up something new, especially when it is covered with a variety of detectors at different settings and with different coil types.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Agree. Thanks for the writeup. Eyeing this detector and it's reports like yours (i.e., with actual facts, not emotion) that I am looking for. So kudos for that and congrats on your finds. Fun variety of places to hunt. I subscribe to the theory that things are constantly moving up and down in the ground due to a variety of mechanisms (water, frost, landscaping, construction, even target recovery that may disturb presently masked targets). So a place that has been able to "collect" targets, rarely gives 100% of them up. So a "hunted out", but past productive site, can always give up something new, especially when it is covered with a variety of detectors at different settings and with different coil types.

Maybe it's the humidity.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, the soil condition changes to humidity and changes in the water table, even fertilizer can change the way a detector sees targets in the ground. So with conditions constantly changing and with larger sites never 100% covered, at least not in every swing orientation (a target can become invisible depending on the swing angle), there are always targets to be discovered, obviously once the low hanging fruit (or should I say shallow sitting targets) are gone, the going gets a lot tougher and takes a lot of patience.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used

"maybe it's the humidity" is a "Fletch" movie quote LOL
Maybe it's the humidity.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, gotcha. Should have caught that one.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"maybe it's the humidity" is a "Fletch" movie quote LOL
Maybe it's the humidity.
Yes... you of all people should have!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I haven't seen the movies in a million years so the only thing I remember is "Moon River" besides the ball bearings and gauze pads gag.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Actually, I haven't seen the movies in a million years so the only thing I remember is "Moon River" besides the ball bearings and gauze pads gag.

"Maybe it's the humidity" was just a few lines before your sig line LOL

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOu're right, now I remember it. Guess its time to be fired as Fletch and to move on to something else since I have lost all credibility. lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread