5/19/17 Nokta Impact VS my old school round 3!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Quick history with my mentality in regards to new machines. I had two machines before the Etrac, and the reason I got the Etrac was to get back into the hobby. Then the CTX hit the market, and I bought one as soon as it was available. Since then, I have tried many machines to try to, re-energize depleted sites with good finds. They all failed, not for a lack of trying. I purchased the Impact for the specific reason of finding what I missed. This was the big test.

On Friday, 5/19, I went back to my old school I hit twice before with the Impact and myself, and my father have hit many times since with little results the past two years. The first time AND second time produced very little in the way of keepers. I kept digging foil and can slaw(this was part of learning the machine). I would note the tone, then dig and mentally record what the result was.

I was set-up with Di3, 92 gain, 3 bars of discrimination, and 20khz.

The area has about 4 inches of top soil then a thick ash layer. this ash layer is highly mineralized and contains hot rocks but, this is where all the good targets reside. If you ever detected in ash before, you know what i am talking about.

Now with minimal knowledge in hand, could I find silver where the CTX and Deus failed?

I was in an area that I know was hit many times, by a lot of people including myself. First few targets were conductive junk and a few newer coins as well as a small copper football charm. I kept getting these scratchy mixed TID targets(high tone, high TID) one way hits that always turned out to be foil. Then I had a nice, clear, high tone with high TID(bouncing around mid 80's to 90's). I dug down seven inches and retrieved my first deep silver with the Impact. This was the first real test for what I would be using this for.
051917192838.jpg 051917192847.jpg

I began to scour this area and 30 minutes later, I got an identical signal and I knew it was a sliver dime. This was a little deeper.
051917200155.jpg 051917200206.jpg

Here was my take from that hunt. The ash really wreaks havoc with silver coins both ware mercs, 1942 and 1929.
DSCF0019.JPG

Naturally, I didn't bring my new camera so I got these blurry cell pics.

This was a huge test and the Impact passed with flying colors. I will be getting out more so stay tuned for more hunts!

Last edited:

CCadrin

Mar 24, 2008
According to the manual, use 5kHz for deep silver versus 20. Also, if you can get higher than 92 on the gain you will get a lot more depth. I run mine at 95 or 99 if it is possible.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats, I hate hot rocks, especially at schools where they had cinder sports tracks. You can hunt them all, I prefer quieter action.

OP
OP
B

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
According to the manual, use 5kHz for deep silver versus 20. Also, if you can get higher than 92 on the gain you will get a lot more depth. I run mine at 95 or 99 if it is possible.

ugh! i should of switched to 5khz to see if it hit better!

"Congrats, I hate hot rocks, especially at schools where they had cinder sports tracks."

Thank you, and why did they cinder tracks in the old days???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread