What's the difference between the Nokta Relic and Impact for coin detecting?

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own either but researched them a bunch and was genuinely interested in the relic before I started hearing about the impact. From a pure performance standpoint (depth, recovery speed, target ID accuracy) I cannot comment on the differences. However, on paper, there are two differences that would make a difference as far as both relic hunting and coin shooting are concerned with respect to helping to pick keeper targets out of iron trash. My primary detector is the Deus which has the ability to operating at multiple different frequencies (not simultaneously like the frequency shifting minelabs) but the range of frequencies gives you a huge range of detector performance vs. single frequency detectors that only perhaps have frequency shift. Unlike the nokta relic which operates at a single frequency of 19 khz, the Impact can operate at 5 khz, 14 khz, or 20 khz. The depth performance and ability to resolve small mid-conductor targets varies noticeably between those frequencies - you want max depth go for 5 khz, you want to search for small gold jewelry to for 20khz. Middle of the road/balanced performance go for 14 khz. Also, the Impact can be set for 99 tone ID which can make it a pure tone machine such that with swing time ear training, you can make dig decisions purely based on sound alone. Don't think you can get there with the relic. I think the coil choices are similar between the two, but the Impact folds up compact and has built-in wireless headphone capability (though purchasing the wireless phones themselves will cost extra). Just waiting for any bugs to be flushed out and for extensive field reports from users before I decide whether I want to take the plunge.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, vferrari for the very informative post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread