Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went detecting last evening and found that the pin pointer switch on my Makro Racer 2 stopped working when pulling forward. It wont pinpoint, but it will ground balance, but I have to wait until the ground balance times out instead of locking it in by pulling the switch forward. The switch itself is not physically damaged, so It must be a wiring issue or problem with the main board. I haven't submitted a warranty claim yet, so i'm just wondering if anyone has had to have warranty work done on their Makro product and what was the turn around time? I've also heard that there's only one repair facility in US. Is that true and what was your experience with them as far as warranty work is concerned? Thanks.
-Dr. Witty

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally when you push forward it ground balances. Then when you pull back it pinpoints.
After ground balancing you should be able to pull the trigger back to switch it out of the GB mode/sound back to which mode you have chosen.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. But that trigger pushes forward for GB and pull back toward your hand for pinpoint.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are misunderstanding what I'm saying. What I mean is that the switch only works in the forward position
(toggling it away from you). It no longer works when you pull it forward.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Stefan, I did e-mail Dilek and she got back to me immediately. I was attempting to make the video, and shortened the shaft to get the whole detector in the frame. Once I started the testing i found I could duplicate the problem but it was not happening all the time. I then extended the shaft and rewound the wire around it. The problem then went away completely, so now I'm thinking if it was just a glitch, but i can't reproduce it and I told Dilek about it.
One thing i did notice is that the base of the coil has a nut that looks like the coil wire can be removed. It it possible to replace just the coil wire on this machine, or is this not the case. I didn't attempt to unscrew it but it is a bit curious to me.

-Dr. Witty

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure and don't think it can be removed. It's 2 different pieces. I found out not all mine had the top "nut" thing fully seated. So I finished turning the top one in the rest of the way
Not sure if that helps, but it's the only experience I have with messing with the strain relief.

OP
OP
Dr. Witty

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well since June 6th I have still not been able to reproduce this issue. I'm so glad i don't have to send this out for repair. The top nut on mine was also not fully tightened, so maybe that was it. I love this detector!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since June 6th I have still not been able to reproduce this issue. I'm so glad i don't have to send this out for repair. The top nut on mine was also not fully tightened, so maybe that was it. I love this detector!

Glad to hear. When I noticed it on one of my coils, I made sure they all were tight. All were in some stage of looseness.
Happy hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread