How water proof is the Impact?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the Impact was waterproof a la the MX Sport or AT Max, it would seem to be an ideal mid to high end all terrain machine for me and I would have sprung for one without hesitation. Now it looks like minelab figured out how to do that and make it just as affordable. Was hoping Nokta would come out with a "sport" version of the Impact. Is anything like that on the drawing board?

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubt it. They just launched the Impact, so it wouldn't be smart for them to launch something else so soon after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Equinox, then.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you already have the max? I would either stop order or return the max and get the Equinox. 3x the machine for less cost (or 5x for only $100 more if you get the Equinox 800).

BTW - It would take me 6+ years to find that much clad. Are you detecting behind coinstar machines or something? Lol.

Last edited:

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you already have the max? I would either stop order or return the max and get the Equinox. 3x the machine for less cost (or 5x for only $100 more if you get the Equinox 800).

BTW - It would take me 6+ years to find that much clad. Are you detecting behind coinstar machines or something? Lol.

My Max will be here on Thursday. I've been waiting almost a year to be able to buy a machine, so I'm sticking with the Max. The Nox will come in time; I'm not in any hurry to get it. As for price, it's more than the Max (I'd get the 800 model). And I only paid $675 for it, so it was an amazing deal.

As for the clad? I'm mostly joking (and my local Coinstars are always empty). But you never know, I may end up finding a rare coin or a nice piece of jewelry. But when it I do get it, I'd love to be able to pass the ATM down to my son should he remain as excited about the hobby as he is right now. He asks me everyday when I pick him up from school if we got it yet; he has no idea that it'll be here on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would the Equinox offer over the Deus?

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would the Equinox offer over the Deus?

<WHIPSERS> probably nothing other than using 4 or 5 frequencies simultaneously and being waterproof....ill still probably get one though....next fall.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the places I detect, a kid with a $99 machine would do great. Two other places are nail infested, with iron pieces as big as your hand. The Deus will punch through it, however and pluck out good stuff. I don't go in the water. The tides here are pretty rough. That one beach in Florida I have been to would have been great, but it may be gone now. Now a couple fields I detect, well, a $200 machine would tear them up, targets aren't deep and it's not very mineralized. I would definitely have to see it in action against a Deus, as I can't figure out to this day how to use more than 1 machine at a time.

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the places I detect, a kid with a $99 machine would do great. Two other places are nail infested, with iron pieces as big as your hand. The Deus will punch through it, however and pluck out good stuff. I don't go in the water. The tides here are pretty rough. That one beach in Florida I have been to would have been great, but it may be gone now. Now a couple fields I detect, well, a $200 machine would tear them up, targets aren't deep and it's not very mineralized. I would definitely have to see it in action against a Deus, as I can't figure out to this day how to use more than 1 machine at a time.

True. The key is if it is anywhere near as fast as the Deus. If so, Minelab may have something there. The slow recovery speed is why I have stayed away from Minelab VLF detectors.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strangely the pre release pics of the impact appeared ( to me anyway) to be waterproof. It looked rugged and bulletproof - more so than the whites mx sport and AT pro.... Then came the news that it wasnt waterproof , then came the clarification that the multi frequencies were not simultaneous. So when the dust settled it is just a single frequency VLF with a choice of frequencies. Alot of great features but full depth in salt water isnt one of them.
If the minelab equinox is anything like what the advertising says then it shows real thinking outside the box. At the right price point I believe it could really be giving everyone what they have been asking for - true wet salt ability, waterproof, lightweight and affordability.
Nokta make a great detector. I would be interested in finding out where Nokta (and all other manufacturers) will go if minelab can produce such a machine for a similar price to the impact, At max, etc.

Chub

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
. I would be interested in finding out where Nokta (and all other manufacturers) will go if minelab can produce such a machine for a similar price to the impact, At max, etc.

Chub

There's only two places for manufacturers to go, as I see it. Forwards to surpass, or back with the pack. Innovate, or die. Even if the Equinox running in multifrequency is only 3/4's as fast as the Deus reactivity 3, it'll be a grand slam homerun!

Two of my four units will potentially be on the chopping block if the new Minelab performs, and it won't be the multi-freakers.:headbang:

I never looked twice at the Impact, and not once at the ATMax. Any future single frequency unit better be unbelievably special (and dirt cheap) or it'll be tough to compete on specs with the Equinox. Too much bang for the buck!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did consider the impact but was waiting for the post release reviews and videos that didn't really materialise. I think its still a good detector but facts are facts, single frequency vlf on the wet beach isnt the same as BBS or multi frequency.

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still surprised that nobody makes a cheap PI ? I know C scope do but why do nokta and FTP steer away from such a detector.

Chub

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by cheap?

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's only two places for manufacturers to go, as I see it. Forwards to surpass, or back with the pack. Innovate, or die. Even if the Equinox running in multifrequency is only 3/4's as fast as the Deus reactivity 3, it'll be a grand slam homerun!

Two of my four units will potentially be on the chopping block if the new Minelab performs, and it won't be the multi-freakers.:headbang:

I never looked twice at the Impact, and not once at the ATMax. Any future single frequency unit better be unbelievably special (and dirt cheap) or it'll be tough to compete on specs with the Equinox. Too much bang for the buck!

Your statement regarding recovery speed is dead on, however, a comment elsewhere made me wonder about this. What if recovery speed is very good when in single frequency mode, but minelab-like (i.e., slooow) when in multifrequency mode?

By the ay, I did look twice at the Impact, but just twice.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean by cheap?

I only meant if a waterproof true multifrequency (not just selectable) becomes available for $600 retail, I'd expect only the most innovative selectable single frequency units to break $400 retail. Everything else ought to be retailing well below the $400 mark, imo.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your statement regarding recovery speed is dead on, however, a comment elsewhere made me wonder about this. What if recovery speed is very good when in single frequency mode, but minelab-like (i.e., slooow) when in multifrequency mode?

By the ay, I did look twice at the Impact, but just twice.

That's my primary question. I saw a recovery speed test video tonight, very impressive! But was it in single or multifrequency in that video. If multi....OMG! game over for many models!

OP
OP
vferrari

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only meant if a waterproof true multifrequency (not just selectable) becomes available for $600 retail, I'd expect only the most innovative selectable single frequency units to break $400 retail. Everything else ought to be retailing well below the $400 mark, imo.

Sorry, that was directed at Chub and his cheap PI detector comment, I completely agreed with what you were saying about the future of vlf price/feature competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions