Multi Kruzer or Racer 2?

yammy

May 19, 2019
West Sussex, UK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At the moment I have the Racer 1. Great machine and I really like using it. Only thing it lacks is a notch filter. I do beaches quite a lot and some are quite trashy so it would be useful to selectively notch out some targets rather than just turn up the discrim.

Been looking around at all the options but keep coming back to the Racer 2 or the Multi Kruzer but not sure which to jump for. Both have the notch so that is sorted. I am buying used by the way and prices are not that far apart between these two machines.

So the MK is waterproof and has the two extra frequencies...although I am not sure they are going to make much difference on the beach or anywhere else for that matter?

So that means the only overriding advantage of the MK over the Racer 2 would be waterproofing?

I'm kinda stuck on which way to go so any advice, thoughts, input, suggestions on other detectors I might want to consider would be very much appreciated :)

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my Racer 2 in 2 tone mode, and my Kruzer in 3 tones. 4 tone mode on the Kruzer for me is unbearable. A lot of guys especially in the UK love 4 tone mode, so maybe that will work well for you. Your history is also older then ours here in the States so maybe that extra depth that 4 tone provides will outweigh the annoyance of all that beeping. In my opinion the Kruzer in 3 tones is superior than the Racer 2 in the same mode in super trashy areas, the separation is just amazing. After over a year of use I can only bear the Kruzer in 3 tone mode. The Racer 2 has a superior pin pointer and ground balance trigger, whereas the one on the Kruzer is really bad, so I hardly use it. Also the Kruzer does not have the lighted buttons like the Racer 2 has. I have yet to find any differences between the 3 frequencies. Sure one can say that one frequency does some stuff better than the other, but there has been no proof anywhere that I could see where this is true. Maybe 19khz finds gold better than 14khz, but how would I know?
If you are doing beaches a lot i would choose the Kruzer without hesitation. If you spend any time in the surf you will be able to lay it down where you can't do that with the Racer 2, plus you wont need a rain cover for it. The rechargeable battery for the Kruzer is great, but I'd replace that awful charging adapter in a hot second, its truly awful. I bought the add on battery compartment but I rarely use it. I'm sure it would come in handy if you will be in a remote area for an extended period of time. I hope this helps you out in your decision. Whichever you choose, make sure you get the wireless headphones with the detector. They are comfortable for long periods of time and they are fantastic. Good luck.
-Dr. Witty

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my Racer 2 in 2 tone mode, and my Kruzer in 3 tones. 4 tone mode on the Kruzer for me is unbearable. A lot of guys especially in the UK love 4 tone mode, so maybe that will work well for you. Your history is also older then ours here in the States so maybe that extra depth that 4 tone provides will outweigh the annoyance of all that beeping. In my opinion the Kruzer in 3 tones is superior than the Racer 2 in the same mode in super trashy areas, the separation is just amazing. After over a year of use I can only bear the Kruzer in 3 tone mode. The Racer 2 has a superior pin pointer and ground balance trigger, whereas the one on the Kruzer is really bad, so I hardly use it. Also the Kruzer does not have the lighted buttons like the Racer 2 has. I have yet to find any differences between the 3 frequencies. Sure one can say that one frequency does some stuff better than the other, but there has been no proof anywhere that I could see where this is true. Maybe 19khz finds gold better than 14khz, but how would I know?
If you are doing beaches a lot i would choose the Kruzer without hesitation. If you spend any time in the surf you will be able to lay it down where you can't do that with the Racer 2, plus you wont need a rain cover for it. The rechargeable battery for the Kruzer is great, but I'd replace that awful charging adapter in a hot second, its truly awful. I bought the add on battery compartment but I rarely use it. I'm sure it would come in handy if you will be in a remote area for an extended period of time. I hope this helps you out in your decision. Whichever you choose, make sure you get the wireless headphones with the detector. They are comfortable for long periods of time and they are fantastic. Good luck.
-Dr. Witty
Check out California gold's YouTube vid on his racer2 that runs on 14khz. It might shed some light on how sensitive it really is on fly speck gold.

Last edited:

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run the gold racer and Anfibio multi and couldn't be happier. The build quality on the Anfibio leaves little to be desired and is balanced exceptionally well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread