LiPo batteries in Nokta machines

The_Griffyn

Jan 5, 2010
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab GM 1000
Curious to your thoughts on the LiPo batteries contained within the Nokta machines. They (Lithium Polymer batteries) are a wild breed in many formats and within the RC community tales of exploding fire batteries are not uncommon. They have special regulations regarding transport/shipment (especially within aircraft) and I've read they can be extremely fickle in regards to charging/storage. I'm only looking for input on the batteries themselves. The product line is amazing and what you get for the price is impressive (SIMPLEX!) and not in question.

Hope everyone is well!

-the griffyn

Germanrazor

Jan 7, 2021
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+,
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Simplex and while I cannot comment on any issues with the LiPo on it I have extensive experience with them on my agencies UAS fleet. They are fickle beast and we have had issues with a certain model and with consultation with other similar agencies the premature failure of these and abnormal swelling of the casings. The manufacturer of our systems stated to us a LiPo should never be stored for even short periods at 100% capability but rather 30%.

I have issue with that due to our needing the systems readily available without ground time in upwards to one hour after arrival to a scene to charge to 100% for use.

As to premature failure in the like of fire or spontaneous explosions, we have not experienced yet.

Capnstern

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2020
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro simplex
Whites Eagle 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The one thing that comes to mind is that most of the problems with exploding Lipo batteries pertains to the RC world. Lipo batteries for Radio control applications( cars, drones, planes, etc) are charged at a pretty high rate compared to the ones in our detectors, and the drain rate is very high and charged by an external charger hooked directly to the battery. I would imagine in our detectors, the charge rate is regulated by onboard circuitry as is the fully charged voltage. In the rc world, it's pretty easy to charge a pack at too high a rate(bad) or to high a voltage (real bad). I wouldnt worry a lot about exploding batteries. The biggest issue we should worry about is non use. The battery should be ran down about half way for storage and it wouldnt hurt to run it completly down every month or so and charge it up to half charge. In reality, it should make the battery last longer.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input, guys, because I just got my Simplex yesterday,
and recharging batteries, is a whole different world for me...! Scary, a machine
that's smarter than me...! :laughing7:

Germanrazor

Jan 7, 2021
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+,
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input, guys, because I just got my Simplex yesterday,
and recharging batteries, is a whole different world for me...! Scary, a machine
that's smarter than me...! :laughing7:

I miss the 70’s! No cell phones, no answering machines, no cars with extensive computers or any at all, no computers for everyday life, no telemarketing constantly, well, you get the idea. I think our getting so technologically advanced has actually been regression to a point.

Do I love my Simplex? It’s nice. Could I have been happy with a pure vlf tonal machine as well? Yippers!

I miss riding bikes with the neighborhood kids and playing til dark and waiting for your mom to yell your name half a mile away for dinner and to come home. Yes, I reminisce way too much. But I miss it and the old console tv with a rotor box sitting on top to get you 5 channels or viewing delight!

Capnstern

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2020
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro simplex
Whites Eagle 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't miss being a human remote control for my dad!��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread