Beach Hunting with Simplex

Yellowstone

Greenie
May 3, 2017
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2, Equinox 800, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the Simplex for a week and have taken it to So Cal beach three times, about 10 hours. Using field mode on dry sand has produced two pieces of silver jewelry, a ring and pendant, usual coin finds. Signals loud and clear on targets up to 10". Need more time to understand faint signals - dug more than a few empty holes chasing low to upper 90's signals.

On the wet sand a different story. In beach mode, a lot of false signals, especially in holes filled with water (but this was identified in Notka literature). Lowered sensitivity to 2 bars without much improvement. Tried All Metal and Field modes with similar results. On the slopes, a little more stable in both Field and Beach modes and could run sensitivity at 4-6 bars with only minor false hits when coil hit the ground. No problem with EMI. One thing I notice during night hunting is that display light comes on when a target is located, a nice piece of engineering! Only drawback is that light is so bright, I could not see the coil. Maybe there is a way to turn brightness down.

On land (in the front yard) found four coins and silver ring up to 6" deep in 15 minutes. I was impressed with that.

Off to Arizona for some fresh water and relic hunting, maybe a little gold prospecting if time permits.

First impression - light weight, good depth and solid feeling machine. Like any other detector, need more time to get to know my new friend.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What head phones are you using if any ?

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any earbuds for it that are wireless? I have been looking for some affordable ones only to find bluetooth

OP
OP
Y

Yellowstone

Greenie
May 3, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stock green edition headphones

OP
OP
Y

Yellowstone

Greenie
May 3, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe other (non-Nokta) headphones or buds will work unless you buy a module.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you can adjust the backlight and keypad brightness.
As per the manual:
Brightness A
It enables you to adjust the display and keypad backlight level according to your personal preference. It consists of 5 levels and the 5th level is the auto level (A). At 0 level, when all the boxes are empty, the backlight is off. When set to level A, it lights up only for a short period of time when a target is detected or while navigating the menu and then it goes off. At 1-4 levels, it will be continuously lit. The continuous operation of the backlight will affect power consumption, which is not recommended.
The backlight setting is restored to the final saved setting when the device is turned off and on again. This setting is common in all modes; change made in any mode also applies to the other modes.

Cañedo

Greenie
Mar 14, 2021
Baja California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with 8x11 + 6x8
Garrett AT pro pointer.
CooB sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the Simplex for a week and have taken it to So Cal beach three times, about 10 hours. Using field mode on dry sand has produced two pieces of silver jewelry, a ring and pendant, usual coin finds. Signals loud and clear on targets up to 10". Need more time to understand faint signals - dug more than a few empty holes chasing low to upper 90's signals.

On the wet sand a different story. In beach mode, a lot of false signals, especially in holes filled with water (but this was identified in Notka literature). Lowered sensitivity to 2 bars without much improvement. Tried All Metal and Field modes with similar results. On the slopes, a little more stable in both Field and Beach modes and could run sensitivity at 4-6 bars with only minor false hits when coil hit the ground. No problem with EMI. One thing I notice during night hunting is that display light comes on when a target is located, a nice piece of engineering! Only drawback is that light is so bright, I could not see the coil. Maybe there is a way to turn brightness down.

On land (in the front yard) found four coins and silver ring up to 6" deep in 15 minutes. I was impressed with that.

Off to Arizona for some fresh water and relic hunting, maybe a little gold prospecting if time permits.

First impression - light weight, good depth and solid feeling machine. Like any other detector, need more time to get to know my new friend.

Did you tried GB at 0.0?
Have read that helps.

Cañedo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions