First Hunt with the Simplex today

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got it and charged everything . Detector and head phones. First signal was a 94 I dug and dug and dug. I was down about 16 to 18 inches and found a horse shoe. I did not dig it out completely but did snap a couple of pictures showing the depth with Phirana and a garrett pinpointer. I am not sure i am going to keep it,. I am to old to dig this deep LOL
IMG_1599.jpg IMG_1600.jpg IMG_1601.jpg

I was only out 1/2 hour before dark. I am going to have to learn this machine. It should not be that difficult. It should be a fantastic relic machine What do you all think ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It didnt tell you it was iron. Horse shoe is big target.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was my first time out with it. I hit it the first 10 feet. I was sure it was silver. I hope to get better tomorrow !!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the price, it's essentially a beginner's machine and I would not expect the discrimination you would get on higher end machines.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome value for the price point. Not like it's never happened before......someone getting fooled by deep/big iron. I figure at 12khz the Simplex should be a good relic machine for sure. I keep seeing people getting loads of depth in field mode and more seperation in park. Makes sense.

I'm just tired of the Simplex vs more expensive units youtube videos. Super deep in a 2 tone mode is good for a very small percentage of sites for most detectorists.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have great points, I think we have to many loyal brand owners that tend to the obvious, new companies come along if we can’t give them an unbiased opinion after field test not air test then what’s the point, u said much there ain’t a perfect machine everyone has and will continue to get fooled, so I wish we can separate the nonsense talk, why it’s not productive in our hobby that is in trouble trying to survive due to states or government trying to dictate. So in ending let’s just give honest opinion or none, everyone will buy what they want keep in mind everyone doesn’t have a 1000.00 dollars to spend, this machine price alone gets the job done, thankyou

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet once you get good at pinpointing with it, and cross-checking targets in all metal mode, you'll see it shine.

Also, if you get a silver signal, and the depth meter says 4-5 inches, once you dig down to about 8 inches and it's even deeper yet, you may want to think deep iron.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Gary,
Teach your horses to sniff gold. I’ll bet they will make short order of finding the gold.:laughing7:

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome value for the price point. Not like it's never happened before......someone getting fooled by deep/big iron. I figure at 12khz the Simplex should be a good relic machine for sure. I keep seeing people getting loads of depth in field mode and more seperation in park. Makes sense.

I'm just tired of the Simplex vs more expensive units youtube videos. Super deep in a 2 tone mode is good for a very small percentage of sites for most detectorists.

Fair points. I saw the machine through my own lens of being a back up water machine, and being dragged out to remote fur trade sites, where depth (and the fairly wide coil coverage) is a definite factor. In a relatively clean field with mild soil. Considering it's capability/cost ratio, it's a winner for my uses. I might take my Tejon up with the Simplex to a good old fur trade location and do some side by side swings over deep soft signals. Bit of a pain in the arse to go through all that, we'll see. I already know what the Tejon has done up there when tweaked to the max. The Simplex has the decent balance or comfortable weigh of the Tejon, and doesn't have the head heavy (but you get used to it) feel of my AT Pro. The Simplex should be a fun tool for a remote site with mild soil and relatively little modern crapulance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread