New to group /hunting- thinking about Simplex - wireless headphones?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it's worth it. Having the headphone cord out of the picture during target retrieval is a godsend.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using wired headphones for 35 years. I was at the beach today with a new cheap pair and the cord was too short, causing the muff on one side to slip and move my eyeglasses in the process. Ridiculous. My next detector will definitely use wireLESS headphones.

Rad1sh

Sep 22, 2019
Olympia, Washington
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex White Coinmaster ( Burghandy)
Garret Ace 250 Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I regret not getting the wireless headphones! Now I need to spend 109 bucks to get them!

sataro

Jan 16, 2013
Corsicana, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 | Nokta Simplex+ | Tesoro Mohave | Quest Xpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received my Simplex last week. Wireless headphones is the only way to go. Definitely worth the extra cost...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to water hunt get t he WIRED water proof ones

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello group
I'm new to the group and to hunting and I'm thinking about getting a Simplex. But I'm wondering about people's thoughts about if it's worth spending another $85 for the wireless headphones over just using the adapter for a wired set.

Thanks to all.

I'm debating myself buddy. Go wireless with the Simplex or get the Nokta water phones. I love the simple reliability of dropping in batteries and plugging in headphones (and the cord does not bother me). What turns me off is having several pieces requiring recharges and their inherent long term reliability. I'm exploring the leap of trust to newer, or at least different technology, and I have much to learn it seems.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will any Bluetooth Headphones work with the Simplex?

tabman

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it uses a proprietary wireless protocol, unfortunately.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had the wireless headphones on my Makro Racer 2 for over 3 years now and the only issue I've had with them is that the blue light no longer illuminates, but that's OK with me because they pair up without it. Get the green wireless headphones with the Simplex. At that price point it would be nonsense not to, that way you'll be able to pair it with the pulse dive pinpointer and avoid the interference issues that the Garrett pinpointer has.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hear me now, ... believe me later, ... Go for it, you will not be sorry

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please correct me if I'm wrong but............. I believe that the wireless phones are only good in the water when submerging coil and shaft. If you go deeper and submerge the detector control box the signal cuts out to the wireless phones. And, they aren't water proof. If they fall in the drink they are shot. I think that I'm going with the Nokta water phones although I see a thin unsupported wire at the control box connection, and I've seen references to low or weakish volume.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please correct me if I'm wrong but............. I believe that the wireless phones are only good in the water when submerging coil and shaft. If you go deeper and submerge the detector control box the signal cuts out to the wireless phones. And, they aren't water proof. If they fall in the drink they are shot. I think that I'm going with the Nokta water phones although I see a thin unsupported wire at the control box connection, and I've seen references to low or weakish volume.

That’s right. Wireless headphones are not suitable for submerged detector use (radio signal does not penetrate the water) and would also likely be ruined if they were submerged or fell into the water.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s right. Wireless headphones are not suitable for submerged detector use (radio signal does not penetrate the water) and would also likely be ruined if they were submerged or fell into the water.

Thanks. I ordered the Nokta water phones. As I said, the cord never bothered me. Simpler set up this way. One pair of multi use phones that will stay with the machine. I fully understand the benefits of going wireless, and all power to those that go that route. I just want less gizmos to recharge. And if they go ker-plop into the water, no worries. Apples or oranges, all good.
:icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Nox 800 while wireless is less intrusive the grey ghost phones are sooooo much clearer especially on silver well worth it to me

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the Nox 800 while wireless is less intrusive the grey ghost phones are sooooo much clearer especially on silver well worth it to me

I was a little disappointed that Grey Ghosts weren't available for the Simplex, but when emailed, D.P. said that they are considering it. My guess is that they are waiting to see sales numbers of this particular machine, to see if numbers justify. Fair enough. I was willing to pay more to get a superior set of water phones.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Does the simplex have a vibrate feature? Would this be enough if you hunted with it engaged in water, and not need headphones at all? I'm thinking of buying one, and want the wireless headphones, and I dont want to have to buy the water phones if at all possible.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it has a vibrate mode.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you have been wireless you never want to go back!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the simplex have a vibrate feature? Would this be enough if you hunted with it engaged in water, and not need headphones at all? I'm thinking of buying one, and want the wireless headphones, and I dont want to have to buy the water phones if at all possible.

I can see your point, particularly as there is also the display to give extra info on the find. However, I'm used to hearing tones and sound nuances, clean/scruff sounds, strong/weak depth etc. It seems that there are different ways to hunt with this machine than I am used to though. I feel that the technology is less intimidating for me by detecting in the same general manner as my other machines. And I want as much info from a potential target as possible. I went with the Nokta water phones, which stay on in or out of water. The only thing I have to hassle with is charging the machine itself now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread