This may be a premature or unfair question but.......

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you folks with some Simplex experience under your belt, and having owned/used a Garrett ATP, feel about the two machines for overall depth. I know that this is really early for a comparison like this, but I am wondering if the Simplex is (generally overall deeper) than the ATP? Thank you.

Joseph2867

Dec 12, 2018
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Garrett Ace Apex
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have had the simplex now for 4 months and like many things about it..and I’ve compared the ATP with it on numerous things including depth and discrimination..the ATP 5x8 coil will slightly outreach the simplex..people will say I’m making this up but I assure you I am not making this up or bashing another brand..it is what it is

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
something about the simplex depth, ... way deep targets can 'report' without a TID. apparently there is an update coming that will enhance this unit even more if thats possible. very happy with choosing this detector.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have taken my Simp out 2-3 times now for a real whirl. I kept it half sens, original park mode (I put upgrade 2.77 on it but keeping it basic until I learn more). I find the machine easier to hit our larger coins (one/two dollar/clad quarters) with than the ATP, because the numbers are different (higher). Some rusted beer caps are fluttering around that zone also so I have to learn the nuances yet. The ground here is just beginning to thaw more than a few inches so I may or may not be able to check a few old parks for real depth. But I am having fun with the Simplex so far and no obvious complaints about it.:icon_thumright:

gravityboy

Jul 18, 2018
Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 4900Di
Tesoro Tejon
Garrett AT Pro
Nokta Fors CoRe
Makro Racer 2
Nokta Simplex+
XP Deus
Minelab NOX 600
Minelab GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my Northern Virginia moderately mineralized soil I'd say the Simplex with the new 2.77 "extreme" sensitivity cranked up is definitely hitting targets the ATP cannot. However it is not hitting targets as consistently at depth as a Nox or ATMax. As impressed as I am with the recent software update I still don't get as confident a beep as I would like on deep targets. I can hit a Colt pistol ball at 10" and get a whisper of a Minie at 11-12" but I doubt in the field I'd dig all the beeps that sound like they do in my mature test garden. There is something about the Simplex tone that doesn't scream 'dig me' on the faint targets (I don't bother with VDI around here due to the mineralization). Still, for $300 there is nothing out there that comes close...

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my Northern Virginia moderately mineralized soil I'd say the Simplex with the new 2.77 "extreme" sensitivity cranked up is definitely hitting targets the ATP cannot. However it is not hitting targets as consistently at depth as a Nox or ATMax. As impressed as I am with the recent software update I still don't get as confident a beep as I would like on deep targets. I can hit a Colt pistol ball at 10" and get a whisper of a Minie at 11-12" but I doubt in the field I'd dig all the beeps that sound like they do in my mature test garden. There is something about the Simplex tone that doesn't scream 'dig me' on the faint targets (I don't bother with VDI around here due to the mineralization). Still, for $300 there is nothing out there that comes close...

Thank you sir. I am starting to use the machine in Field mode, in a hard hit park, and an actual field, albeit relatively briefly. In my lack of long term experience so far, it is showing depth. But it also seems to high tone a lot on rusted iron. And it loves old rusted beer caps, high toning on them. Rusted iron is my current challenge.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the simplex now for 4 months and like many things about it..and I’ve compared the ATP with it on numerous things including depth and discrimination..the ATP 5x8 coil will slightly outreach the simplex..people will say I’m making this up but I assure you I am not making this up or bashing another brand..it is what it is
My last few whirls through an old pounded park with sweet black loam soil with the Simp in Field mode, one tick down from max sens, and ground ballanced, gives me the same impression so far. Maybe the small pure old copper penny was angled or on edge, but I got a scruffy choppy signal that was underwhelming. I put my Lesche digger into hole and finger guard was level with top of hole. I hope that I'm wrong and just too inexperienced with the machine. Maybe I have to give Park one more more of a chance. I got disgusted with all the rusted caps I was digging with high tone, in Field mode, in that park.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last few whirls through an old pounded park with sweet black loam soil with the Simp in Field mode, one tick down from max sens, and ground ballanced, gives me the same impression so far. Maybe the small pure old copper penny was angled or on edge, but I got a scruffy choppy signal that was underwhelming. I put my Lesche digger into hole and finger guard was level with top of hole. I hope that I'm wrong and just too inexperienced with the machine. Maybe I have to give Park one more more of a chance. I got disgusted with all the rusted caps I was digging with high tone, in Field mode, in that park.
The rusted caps sound like coins until you wiggle the coil backswards off them ( much like coil pinpointing). They have a crackle,instead of a sharp break in tone. It's a small sound but with time you can tell the diffrence!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread