I have figured out why the Simplex+ was developed and manufactured. It's so...

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you will have to take two machines with you when you are out detecting - The Simplex+ for finding EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF TRASH at your permission and any other machine of your choosing to dig up the leftover coinage. [smirk]

I hit a Fairground Rodeo Arena Bleacher section, a City Park Soccer field, and a Baseball Bleacher section and only pulled trash with my Simplex+. Heck, I found more coinage with my handheld Pinpointer - a whopping nine cents! I averaged 2.5 hours at each location and most of that was pulling trash.

I have tried all four (4) settings and nothing worked today. I still can't figure out why I'm getting high numbers and medium tones. I could understand if what I was pulling was large metal but, not when it's small nails, bolts, aluminium foil, and small bits of can slaw. [scratching_head]

Now don't get me wrong, it works fantastic when there isn't a ton of junk close together. In fact, I have pulled more good finds in the short time I've had the Simplex+ than I have with my other newly purchased detectors (comparatively speaking). I suppose I'm going to have to take 2 or 3 days with it trying different settings to get used to it.

I think what is more frustrating than anything else is that I have been actively metal detecting for over 20 years now (off and on for another four years) and I'm beginning to think technology is trying to pass this old man up. I will NOT let it get the best of me... I just needed to rant a bit. :)

Seriously, all-in-all I had a terrific day out running around. As we say, A bad day detecting is better than a good day at work! Man, I need a different analogy. [chuckle]

I hope everyone had a much better day than I did and HH & GL!

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using presets or have you tweaked it? That makes a big difference. On my XP Deus I KNOW it's small aluminum and can pass it up. Sometimes really big deeply buried pieces of coal clinker will fool it, but since we find good stuff on this one spot, we have to dig that. And lots of times I dig big iron, looking for camp axes.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using presets or have you tweaked it? That makes a big difference. On my XP Deus I KNOW it's small aluminum and can pass it up. Sometimes really big deeply buried pieces of coal clinker will fool it, but since we find good stuff on this one spot, we have to dig that. And lots of times I dig big iron, looking for camp axes.

Yeah smokey, I have tweaked it and tried all the presets. When I took it out for it's maiden run, it worked great but, I had been over that permission with my other new detectors already. I found a bunch of coin over the next few days with it with only the "weird" high tone issue a lot of us seem to be having.

I really think that I purchased too many detectors in too short of a time period. I bought four in just under a month and I'm trying to learn all of them. I understand the theory and physics of the metal detector and maybe I'm overthinking things a bit but, as long as I've been at this [detecting], you'd think that I would have this stuff figured out by now.

So, I've decided to take the Simplex+ out by itself for the next week since the weather here is going to be awesome. I figure if I take my time and stop looking at the darn numbers (until I get the tones burned into my noggin) I should be able to get this thing whipped easily in a week. Heck, I had it figured out the first few days until I started taking out the other detectors. I'm really trying not to take out any of my high end detectors even though they are only 2 to 4 years old - I know how fast technology changes.

Well, it's movie night so I'm going to get out of here for a few hours.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I've had two solid nights with my Simplex+ and I am starting to become accustomed to it, albeit, slowly but surely.

I spent three (3) hours last night and got in two (2) hours tonight before it started to rain hard. Here's what I did last night:

- I first buried two (2) pennies at a depth of four (4) inches each - a Copper and a Zinc - in my garden spot.
- I then buried two (2) Crown Bottle Caps - one (1) without rust and the other extremely oxidized with rust.
- Next, I did a Factory Reset on my Simplex+.
- Then I tested each of the four (4) modes with default settings on each object - I did a Ground Balance in each mode prior to testing (my ground balance numbers were 30.2 to 39.6).
- Finally, I made a few changes, where I could, to each of the four (4) modes - this ended up basically being an Iron Volume reduction to one (1) bar, a Frequency Shift to {F1} and doing a Ground Balance before each test.

As I suspected, the tones and TIDs (Target IDs) were fine for the pennies - both pennies hit at 68 to 74 with the Zinc Penny hitting 64 occasionally. What I did not expect was the "clean" Crown Bottle Cap to hit correctly at 17 to 22 - I thought I would get high pitch tones with 97 to 99 TIDs.

Now here is where I got 'woke the, uh, heck up'... when I ran the coil across the oxidized bottle cap I got the high-pitched tone that I have been hearing lately and TIDs anywhere from a quick 26 and 28 up to 87 through 99 (maxed out).

OK, remembering Metal Detecting 101 after I was hit in the head with a BIG DOH, the following will apply to many detectors (TIDs may differ); Ferrous objects will give low tones and TIDs from 01 to 17 depending on the conductive content and non-ferrous objects should give respective tones and TIDs according to their conductive content (e.g. copper and zinc pennies hitting in the upper 60s and lower to mid 70s... et cetera). Ferrous objects that are highly oxidized will usually hit with high tones and low to mid TIDs. This is what is happening with the Simplex+ and, after digging up all that rusty old trash, I should of remembered this.

One last thing; Larger objects, quite often, no matter the type of metal, will also give high tones and jumpy TIDs.

The above is a generalization of my recollection of how most of my metal detectors work. This may, or may not, be the case with your particular detector and I do not notice it so much on my high-end detectors but, it DOES happen.

This post is open for speculation and all comments are welcomed.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm having some low ID numbers with high tones, what is going on? The documentation says low ID # = low tones, high ID # = high tones?

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm having some low ID numbers with high tones, what is going on? The documentation says low ID # = low tones, high ID # = high tones?

I got ahead of myself and left out "low and mid" TIDs in this part of my post; "Ferrous objects that are highly oxidized will usually hit with high tones and low to mid TIDs".

Hope this helps coz it was driving me nuts until I remembered this.
-DH-

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
would you dig a low ID with high tones ? If so, what could the target be ? Im just trying be ONE with my machine, thanks for helping

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would you dig a low ID with high tones ? If so, what could the target be ? Im just trying be ONE with my machine, thanks for helping

I'm probably not the one to ask this as I dig everything. However, my suggestion would be to become "ONE" with your machine you should dig everything and take note of the TIDs and Tones until you get used to it. That way you will know if you should dig it or not. Please keep in mind, until you get used to your machine, not digging everything may cost you a great find.

To answer "what could the target be?"... it could be anything from a large piece of Aluminium or rusty Iron and even a Pull Tab. It could be a ring or a vintage button as well.

These are probably not the answers you were hoping for but, your tones and TIDs are going to change a bit depending on your soil mineralization, wet or dry soil, rocky areas, and other soil factors. I'm sure you are aware of this from looking at the detectors you own.

In summary, the Simplex+ gives jumpy TIDs and high tones when scanning highly oxidized objects.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!
-DH-

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simplex+ Park Mode Metals Testing Results

SIMPLEX+ METAL CONDUCTIVE AIR TEST IN PARK MODE

The following are my test results using various metals. It is in NO way intended to be taken as absolute for all Simplex+ Metal Detectors. It is ONLY meant to be a “Starting Point” to help you understand the TID (Target ID) numbers.

As the Manual states for Park Mode, “This is the 3-tone discrimination mode designed for coin hunting especially in trashy sites such as parks.”

“In this mode the device produces a low tone for ferrous targets with 0-15 IDs, a medium tone for gold and non-ferrous metals with IDs 16-42 and a high tone for non-ferrous metals with IDs 43-99 such as silver, brass and copper.” And, as we all know, very oxidized Iron targets!

I have no desire to test any other metals or Search Modes on the Simplex+ so please do not ask me to do so. I used Park Mode simply because that is what I have been using the most of lately and it has the fastest recovery speed of the other modes.

NOTE: The tones were correct for the TIDs that I was getting except for the highly “rusted” targets — which stands to reason — so they are not noted in this test.

METAL TARGET IDs CONDITION
Quarters 86-91 Clean
Dimes 75-78 Clean
Nickels 24-26 Clean
Penny (Zinc) 65-68 Clean
Penny (Copper) 73-79 Clean
Galvanized Electrical Box Cover 04-97 Rusted — Medium
Iron Bar ¾ x 6 ½ Inches 04-73 Rusted — Heavy
Aluminum Beer Can 21-23 Clean
Potted Meat Pull Top 68-71 Clean
Nail 04 Rusted — Heavy
Pull Tab — Beaver Tail 43-48 Clean
Pull Tab — New 26-27 Clean
Rain Gutter — Aluminum 53-58 Clean — Painted on one side
20 Year Old House Key 63-66 Rusted — Slightly
U-Joint Cap w/Bearings 03-76 Rusted — Heavy
Sterling Silver Ring (Women’s) 83-86 Clean
Sacajawea Dollar 91-92 Clean
Liberty Head Nickel (V Nickel) 24-26 Clean
Wheat Penny 74-76 Clean
Steel Penny 03-04 (Barely Registered) Clean
1 Steel / 3 Copper Pennies 84-98 Clean
Aluminum 49-70 Oxidized — Badly
Aluminum Foil 2 ½ x 2 ½ (Flat) 18-19 Clean
Aluminum Foil Ball 18-19 Clean
8 oz. Can Michelob Beer (Full) 24-91 (Horz/Vert Different) Clean
8 oz. Can Michelob Beer (Empty) 21-24 Clean — Slight Moisture :)

OK, that should give you a good starting point. As I said this is NOT to be taken as absolute — your numbers could be different, and they will likely be somewhat different, in the ground and very different the longer the targets have been in the ground.

BTW, I am planning on doing this test again with all the above targets buried at different depths but, I will not be doing this anytime soon. Our weather has to clear up as it's been cold and rainy here with some nice days in between the bad weather. I'm guessing a minimum of three weeks or so.

I hope this helps new users of the Simplex+ to get a generalized idea of what to look for when out detecting and Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for the alignment.
-DH-

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good morning DH,
What does 'clean' mean? OK, I think it is the target condition?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning DH,
What does 'clean' mean? OK, I think it is the target condition?

Good morning Richard.

It means "No Rust".

Cheers.
-DH-

weldor

Greenie
Jan 13, 2014
Missouri
Detector(s) used
1265-X, 1235-X, Garrett Groundhog Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the test, that will help out a lot.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DH. I found your work to be interesting and helpful. I barely have a base of understanding for the machine yet, as it has sat in a closet since November ?

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have figured out why the Simplex+ was developed and manufactured.

It's so......you will have to take two machines with you when you are out detecting,....

The Simplex+ for finding EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF TRASH at your permission and any other machine of your choosing to dig up the leftover coinage. [smirk]
DH-

I bought one of those machines to see what it was all about,.........

In just a few hours I had it pretty well sorted out,.... next time out, got it down pat.

It's a hot 12KHz machine with an 11" coil,......"it's not an MRI machine"

And it's not from Mars,..... it's just a metal detector,.....really straight forward.

A trashy spot,..... what did you expect?

The machine has good vision and an 11" coil, of course it's going to see all that stuff.

I judged the machine to be a good one, a top expert, a gifted expert, in Georgia agrees,.....

No doubt trashy locations,....... smaller coil, slower sweep speed, and patience,.....

"Same As Always"

No doubt a CZ with a 5" coil would do a much better job in that location,........

"Right tool for the job is the message here"

When the smaller coils for this Simplex machine become available,.. good reports will follow.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/624284-simplex-field-testing-results.html

20200101_163204.jpg

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one of those machines to see what it was all about,.........

In just a few hours I had it pretty well sorted out,.... next time out, got it down pat.

It's a hot 12KHz machine with an 11" coil,......"it's not an MRI machine"

And it's not from Mars,..... it's just a metal detector,.....really straight forward.

A trashy spot,..... what did you expect?

The machine has good vision and an 11" coil, of course it's going to see all that stuff.

I judged the machine to be a good one, a top expert, a gifted expert, in Georgia agrees,.....

No doubt trashy locations,....... smaller coil, slower sweep speed, and patience,.....

"Same As Always"

No doubt a CZ with a 5" coil would do a much better job in that location,........

"Right tool for the job is the message here"

When the smaller coils for this Simplex machine become available,.. good reports will follow.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/624284-simplex-field-testing-results.html

View attachment 1805449

Did you read Post #4?
-DH-

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that's a good post,.... plenty of good posting in this thread,.....

:icon_thumleft:

I was pointing it out in hopes you would catch that I was just "venting" a bit in my #1 post and I was being a bit facetious as well.

I am enjoying my Simplex+ and when I go out I always put it in the truck because, you never know when it will come in handy.

Have you heard anything on when/if they are going to release a small coil for it. I thought I read in a post somewhere that it was in the works.

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread