Maybe Im just dumb?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By LByles
  • 2 Post By nomad 11
  • 1 Post By nomad 11
  • 1 Post By OhioTrevor
  • 2 Post By marjam
  • 1 Post By RustyGold
  • 2 Post By NWMP
  • 2 Post By eyemustdigtreasure

Thread: Maybe Im just dumb?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Connie the Coonie

    Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    218
    437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Maybe I'm just dumb?

    First off let me say, I am NOT tech savvy. Like at all. I'm more comfortable with something I can just turn on and take off. Well hubby bought me the Simplex, and I do love the weight and feel of it. I thought I was doing pretty good with it until last weekend. I do ground balance when I turn it on and when we change areas (from clay, to slop, to the hills with black sand/dirt, etc). I had been hunting on field mode just to cancel out the iron, but later switched to all metal. Hubby had a hit with his Garrett and asked me to swing to see what I'd get. I swung....nothing. He swung....hit. I was like WTH?!! How much stuff have I been missing?! I swapped back to field mode, swung, hit. I don't get it? I ended up being a bullet. I found several as well, but can't remember what mode I was in at the time.

    I've read the manual, watched videos, read forums...it's really been bothering me this week, and I don't want to tell hubby lol

    I read the frequency you're on (F1, F2, F3) can effect what you pick up. I learned I can be on field mode and add the iron back in if I don't want to discriminate. But why wouldn't all metal mode pick up the bullet? Should I ground balance each time I switch modes? Each time I switch frequencies? I switch frequencies b/c sometimes I'm swinging close to my hubby, and other times I just can't take the static noise b/c it'll get sooo bad, so I try to find a "quieter channel".

    Also, while swinging, I can hear like it's about to pick up something, but no numbers come up indicating anything. So I swing all the way around me everywhere and don't get anything. It's like a constant (I can't type the noise lol) while I swing, but not chatter like when I turn on the pin pointer. There were also a couple times I felt like I was digging an endless hole. Stick the pin pointer in...nothing. Thought maybe it was the clay, b/c my pointer doesn't seem to like it sometimes. Swing the detector back over the hole, still hit. I'd dig some more, pin point...nothing. And my pointer normally picks up at least 2 inches through the clay. Hubby would swing his detector over the hole and got nothing? In other cases, I might have just kept digging b/c I get determined. But I didn't want to dig a trench on the property we were on. So I just gave up and filled the hole.

    I'm just not understanding it. All of the buttons and settings put me in a bit of panic mode. And now I'm more confused b/c I feel like I've been missing stuff. Pros please help! lol

  2. #2
    us
    nomad roman numeral 2

    Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2,396
    2408 times
    do you have a good luck charm ? now u know how i feel ? DOH !
    RustyGold and LByles like this.

  3. #3
    us
    nomad roman numeral 2

    Nov 2009
    nomads land
    any tector i can get my hands on
    2,396
    2408 times
    patience is the key to metal detecting. its like regular fishing. u have to catch what u can. and u didnt say what metal detector ur runnin ?
    LByles likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    Connie the Coonie

    Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    218
    437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nomad 11 View Post
    patience is the key to metal detecting. its like regular fishing. u have to catch what u can. and u didnt say what metal detector ur runnin ?
    I'm using the Simplex. Whatever the one is that just came out lol

  5. #5
    us
    Jan 2020
    Ohio
    Equinox 800
    23
    100 times
    Metal Detecting
    I wish I could help. If misery loves company, I'm with you. I have a new Equinox 800 and have had two instances when I have practically dug a hole to china and eventually given up. Same problem.
    LByles likes this.

  6. #6
    us
    Connie the Coonie

    Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    218
    437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioTrevor View Post
    I wish I could help. If misery loves company, I'm with you. I have a new Equinox 800 and have had two instances when I have practically dug a hole to china and eventually given up. Same problem.
    Well it makes me feel better that I'm not alone lol

  7. #7

    Nov 2012
    428
    329 times
    I just took a simplex out this weekend. I found that field mode tends to be the best in my soil, and even picks up better than all metal for some reason.

    As far as missing targets, detectors are calibrated to interpret objects as the size of coins. Hence the bigger the target, the more shallow it will read, the smaller, the deeper it will read. A good example is a pencil eraser. It rings in about the same as a nickel, and when you pinpoint, it may show up on your detector as 3 or 4 inches down, when in reality, it's near the surface in your plug. The real small objects fool almost every detector into thinking it is a coin sized object deeper than it is in reality.

    The next time this happens, flip your plug back over and take your pin pointer over the top of the plug. If its shallow and small, the pinpointer will find it. I have save myself digging time doing this. I have also forgotten to do this and chase something in a hole for 10 minutes too.
    LByles and eyemustdigtreasure like this.

  8. #8
    us
    Connie the Coonie

    Dec 2019
    Louisiana
    218
    437 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by marjam View Post
    I just took a simplex out this weekend. I found that field mode tends to be the best in my soil, and even picks up better than all metal for some reason.

    As far as missing targets, detectors are calibrated to interpret objects as the size of coins. Hence the bigger the target, the more shallow it will read, the smaller, the deeper it will read. A good example is a pencil eraser. It rings in about the same as a nickel, and when you pinpoint, it may show up on your detector as 3 or 4 inches down, when in reality, it's near the surface in your plug. The real small objects fool almost every detector into thinking it is a coin sized object deeper than it is in reality.

    The next time this happens, flip your plug back over and take your pin pointer over the top of the plug. If its shallow and small, the pinpointer will find it. I have save myself digging time doing this. I have also forgotten to do this and chase something in a hole for 10 minutes too.
    Thanks. It did do better this past weekend in field mode with no notches (was in a remote area, so I was digging iron). Still got skunked on finding anything good lol Found every single shotgun shell and .22 casing though lol I do have a habit of swinging over my plug to check it before going back to the hole. The weekend before (digging the endless holes), I’d swing over the plug, nothing, swing over the hole, and it’d say it was there. I’d even run my pointer over the surface of the plug, flip it, run the detector. Just kept saying in the hole with the detector, but pointer couldn’t find it. The thick clay is AWFUL. Guess I’ll never know what was there. That was our last shot at that property.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8,554
    9265 times
    The Simplex did not work out for me and I sold it. I had a warranty problem and the seller, from whom I bought it, directed me to the shipper and the shipper directed me to the repair person in the States who directed me back to Nokta Makro who told me it was a bug in the design and literally nowhere was there any help from the seller “ who stands behind every product” which is a laugh.
    For such an “on” company as in the forums it turned out to be a big fail. My experience through the chain of reps was not a good experience with the Simplex and your mileage may vary. So good luck!
    Gare likes this.


    “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    us
    Lance

    Aug 2014
    Colorado
    XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
    355
    478 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Rusty, what warranty problem did you have with it?

  11. #11
    ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tesoro Tejon, AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
    510
    383 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by LByles View Post
    Thanks. It did do better this past weekend in field mode with no notches (was in a remote area, so I was digging iron). Still got skunked on finding anything good lol Found every single shotgun shell and .22 casing though lol I do have a habit of swinging over my plug to check it before going back to the hole. The weekend before (digging the endless holes), I’d swing over the plug, nothing, swing over the hole, and it’d say it was there. I’d even run my pointer over the surface of the plug, flip it, run the detector. Just kept saying in the hole with the detector, but pointer couldn’t find it. The thick clay is AWFUL. Guess I’ll never know what was there. That was our last shot at that property.
    Yes a new machine can be challenging dear. I struggled with pretty much every machine that I've owned, initially. Every machine has its own learning curve. Seeing that I am of very average intelligence (on a good day ), I find that I don't get sharp with a new machine until about mid summer or fall.
    LByles and eyemustdigtreasure like this.

  12. #12

    Aug 2015
    Nokta Impact, Nokta Makro Simplex +, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Ace 350
    132
    155 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Sounds like you had disc turned up too high and were getting clipped audio because of it.

  13. #13
    us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    2,280
    3637 times
    Metal Detecting
    Create a test garden, with your planted targets far enough apart for separation - then, use different pre-set modes,
    after ground balance, of course.
    Anyway, find them by verifying the metals AND depth.
    Practice, practice, PRACTICE...!
    Many You Tube channels, especially popular ones, sometimes get gifted with bran-new machines, to try and review.
    Watch, LISTEN, and take notes of the numbers they get for the targets they dig,
    things should add up for you....
    Good Luck!
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Dumb well maybe not dumb idea for panning
    By Bigmanco in forum Panning For Gold
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 06, 2014, 11:33 AM
  2. I must be dumb
    By lonesomebob in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Jun 10, 2009, 06:09 PM
  3. Dumb Question Dumb Answer
    By USTiger in forum Comedy Central
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 07, 2008, 09:27 PM
  4. how dumb can you be
    By jhoff310 in forum Scrap Metals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 08, 2007, 07:41 PM
  5. This may be a dumb ?
    By cwdigger in forum Metal Detecting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep 27, 2007, 10:27 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0