Your fresh water plex ring experiences ?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have very limited experience with the plex in fresh water to date. Maybe 3-4 sessions. Plenty of coins, aluminum tabs, keys, sunglasses, yada, yada. But no decent rings yet. Just one junker. Please describe your experiences hitting rings. What numbers?, tone? What metal? What setting did you use? My last lake was a horrendously sanded in swim area where I had to switch over to All Metal, to hear the hits better. Before that I had a rough time hearing clad coins with the Beach setting notch outs. But I did hit an aluminum tab that I heard well, and it came in around 24-25. That's the same number I hit those tabs with on land in Park 2. This should clear up after I get over a few nice rings, but I haven't gotten the coil over one yet. Or at least an easy to hear ring hit. I looked through a few pages in the beach and shallow water forum and saw nothing about the Simplex in fresh water. Videos on the tube aren't much better.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whats a plex ?
If you are finding pulltabs then it stands to reason you'll find rings too whenever you chance upon one.
[Nevermind, I figured the plex thing out] Haven't dunked mine yet, really no need to as I do very well with my AT buts its nice to have a potential backup.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You are finding/digging the right stuff, you just have not got your coil over the gold. Keep at it, you will! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are finding/digging the right stuff, you just have not got your coil over the gold. Keep at it, you will! :icon_thumleft:

You bet buddy. I just haven't gotten the coil over one in the water with the Simplex yet. This was my dig today. Ironically I got a small 10K band. :laughing9: It's a start. Choppy erratic signal about four inches down, Park 2 one bar below max sens with manual ground balance. Bouncing around 67-69 on display.

or22JTT.jpg

W4dnGwE.jpg

lK1ZalX.jpg

HAYLZ0D.jpg

IJI04s5.jpg

Last edited:

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ah you got to love that hard clumpy gumbo soil, especially with that gold ring in it, nice find!

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah you got to love that hard clumpy gumbo soil, especially with that gold ring in it, nice find!

Yes sir I certainly do, as it's a rare sight for me. This ring was a funny fluke as I was just wondering about water rings. The soil here is good but still has just a hint of mineralization. Best soil I ever saw around here was at the edge of the Boreal Forest. Coppers from the twenties just need a gentle tooth brush cleaning under a running tap, then perfect. Zero crud or corrosion.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You bet buddy. I just haven't gotten the coil over one in the water with the Simplex yet. This was my dig today. Ironically I got a small 10K band. :laughing9: It's a start. About four inches down, Park 2 one bar below max sens with manual ground balance. Bouncing around 27-31 on display.

or22JTT.jpg

W4dnGwE.jpg

lK1ZalX.jpg

HAYLZ0D.jpg

IJI04s5.jpg

I came back in and quoted myself to change the numbers for the ring. I confused the ring numbers with another find when I originally posted. That womans? 10k band actually reads 27-31 at home in an air test. I believe that to be a far more accurate number. And it mid toned nicely in Park 2.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bunch of finds, congrats! :occasion14:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
That 36 nickel is in great shape. Grats on all the goodies and may there be gold again under your coil next time out.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 36 nickel is in great shape. Grats on all the goodies and may there be gold again under your coil next time out.

Thanks buddy but Covid really seemed to reduce a lot of drops in the local lake this year. I consider myself to be a moderately skilled water detectorist, at best. Maybe the lack of hits out there has forced me to up my game a bit. In fact, I know that to be the case. I'm not "good", but I'm no longer bad.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my first water hunt yesterday with my Simplex, great first time out. I found a handful of clad, bottle tops, pull tabs and fishing weights. I’m using the SP24 coil in Park 1. Any suggestions on different setup or ground balance?

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my second water hunt with my Simplex. I ran the ground balance at 72 then worked backwards to zero. Then all the back to 97 where it seems to be pretty good. It was about knee deep water and not too chilly. Today’s 1 1/2 hour hunt: 2 quarters, 3 dimes, 2 nickels, 15 pennies and a nice Catholic medallion and chain...maybe gold. (Non- magnetic) It was in mud and silt about 5 inches down. Came out looking beautiful!

Attachments

• 58025977-C565-4982-BE19-EAA7BB8E49CD.jpeg
    58025977-C565-4982-BE19-EAA7BB8E49CD.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 747352C4-595C-4819-A104-0E99CFF77C6C.jpeg
    747352C4-595C-4819-A104-0E99CFF77C6C.jpeg
    354.6 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was my second water hunt with my Simplex. I ran the ground balance at 72 then worked backwards to zero. Then all the back to 97 where it seems to be pretty good. It was about knee deep water and not too chilly. Today’s 1 1/2 hour hunt: 2 quarters, 3 dimes, 2 nickels, 15 pennies and a nice Catholic medallion and chain...maybe gold. (Non- magnetic) It was in mud and silt about 5 inches down. Came out looking beautiful!

Sweet finds. :icon_thumleft: I barely know what I'm doing with the Simplex in the water. There is a lot of mineralization variability where I am. I have found that going into all metal and scooping it all was the way to go in some. Covid really restricted my water play last year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread