The tribulations of farming

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Set out this morning to entice 36 head of beef cows and their calves from winter pasture into holding paddocks in order to do some 'vet work' this weekend . Lured them through 4 gates into progressively smaller lots with a round bale on the back of the tractor . Life was good and I dropped the lift and started unrolling the bale to feed them and work my way back to the last gate to close it once they were all in the paddock . Made the turn and headed back for the gate to close them in ..............
There sat my Aussie stock dog in the middle of the gate opening protecting 'Daddy' from those nasty old cows .
"Geddoutathere , you sob!" was a poor choice of words on my part ................
Dog thought I was talking to the cows and agressively began to help .......... Oh , well ........
Tomorrow I will try again . My 'helper' is going to stay home with My wife . :unhappysmiley:

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh boy I hear ya there. I farm also. the 'weekend vet work' is never easy!!!!! when I had 120 Boer doe herd
the 'weekend hoof trimming' times were just awful :)

at least he tried to help. :icon_thumleft:

S

stefen

A few years back I was attempting to load a Charlet steer into my horse trailer...he had another thing on his mind...as I was moving him down an aisle way, he spun and crushed me into a fence post...then he spun again and hit me from the other side...Broke ribs on both sides...Hurt to laugh, sneeze, cough or move...couldn't bend over at first...Went to an emergency room ...crap head to foot...smelled like pie...cow, that is...They asked if I was from the county fair rodeo...It hurt to much to laugh...

Sure coulda used a good well trained herd dog...

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know a whole lot about farming but I did learn this one summer while working on one.....when they say go trail up two swans and secure them in the trailer, they don't mean "go catch two swans and put them in the trailer!" Place also raised swans, had an entire fenced in area with maybe 8 or 10 in it. By the time I came out of there I was bleeding. Turns out they meant to lay a trail of corn from the holding pen to the trailer. Darn things will walk right in. Just a stupid high school jock at the time.....learned the hard way that adult swans are very mean when cornered. :laughing7:

S

stefen

There are always 'Lessons Learned' from being raised on a farm....
like never use a bulls prized hanging appendage for target practice with a slingshot... picknose.gif

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like never use a bulls prized hanging appendage for target practice with a slingshot... View attachment 629217
Many moons ago, When living at home... We had an old buck goat.. One mean SOB... I was in town with mom and I got my first dart gun (Blow gun) Opened the hallway winder, That goat stood there with arse to me.. He took a braodhead dart in the Bag.. He bucked and ran, Coulda swore he was being rode by a cowboy in the rodeo.. :laughing7: I didnt get mad at that Sob, I got even from being horned so many times..

S

stefen

Goats are good for moswing grass only...stink, stupid and ornery as cat crap...

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
like never use a bulls prized hanging appendage for target practice with a slingshot... View attachment 629217
I'll go ya one better ; popped a neighbor's bull with a .22long rifle . He tore through both sides of a barn and then several fences before being put down by adults . My buddies that witnessed the deal didn't rat me out ........ Neither did they pay up what they had bet me that I couldn't hit 'em . Amazing demonstration of the power of a bull when he is 'motivated'.

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
In my defense on the bull episode ,
Imagine a mouthbreathin 9yr old , buzz cut hair , no shirt , wore out jeans , and tenner shoes that were mostly tops held on the feet by the laces . 4 more boys the same age and attired the same way . Walking down a dusty red dog road in 1959
all carrying .22's . The jersey bull , that liked nobody , belonging to the neighbor that nobody liked and the spur of the moment bet from my peer group that I couldn't hit such a large target from 60 yards . All their bullets bet would have been a windfall for me , had they paid up ............
My talents as a rifleman were appreciated much more in later years when people were shooting at us .

S

stefen

Many moons ago, When living at home... We had an old buck goat.. One mean SOB... I was in town with mom and I got my first dart gun (Blow gun) Opened the hallway winder, That goat stood there with arse to me.. He took a braodhead dart in the Bag.. He bucked and ran, Coulda swore he was being rode by a cowboy in the rodeo.. :laughing7: I didnt get mad at that Sob, I got even from being horned so many times..

Told my brother the bull story...and he said you're nuts...

I said no, the bulls...:laughing7::laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread