Any of yall ever

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Any of y'all ever

set up with the dead or attend a saucer burying ? A saucer burying is where everyone attending a wake in a poor person's home put the pennies , nickles , and dimes they could spare into a saucer in hopes of gathering enough to pay the undertaker for burying the deceased .
Settin up with the dead was a job left to family members for the night following the end of the wake and the burial the next day .

S

stefen

Did they stand the body in a corner with pennies on his eyes...Irish Wake?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sat up with an old uncle one night. He wasn't dead at all. He was just so lazy and boring everyone thought he was. I tried to start a conversation with him but all he would do was fart and belch. Actually it was the first time I ever heard anyone fart the tune to Yankee Doodle and that's all that kept me awake. It was really funny when they tried to bury him. It was like trying to put a tom cat in a burlap bag. Once in the bag he kept yelling he wasn't dead. But everyone knew what a liar he was. Someone commented he must be dead, he already had started to stink. But Grandma said that's the way he smelled all the time. I had noticed that odor before but just thought it was something the dogs had been rolling in. I didn't say anything because there was another burlap bag that was just waiting for something else to need burying. Funny thing, Grandpa claimed he wasn't dead too. But we dug him up a week or so later and he darn sure was dead. He was as big a liar as my Uncle it seems. I'll sure miss old Uncle Wildeye (they called him that because when he was talking to you his one eye kept looking at the guy behind you). But I might not miss him as much as I thought since I think they might have buried old Uncle Quagmire by mistake. I wondered why he kept looking at someone across the room, well at least one eye did, at the funeral. But I didn't say anything because you know, that extra burlap bag thing was still on my mind. But after the burying we had a nice dinner provided by the church ladies. We had some very fresh roadkill possum with greens and new potatoes. There was a slab of cornbread thanks to the preachere's wife who was an excellent cook as long as it was cornbread. That's all she knew how to cookand it was burned on the bottom. I'm pretty sure she added sugar and called it Black Bottom Pie that we had for desert, (or is it dessert)? It did have kind of a gritty taste like sand when you bit into it. And of course Aunt Becky made her famous gourmet " 'possum gravy sans hair" to go with the roadkill. Enough of that gravy on the cornbread kinda took the gritty taste out of it. And Mom had to show off and bake up her "possum butt pie". I think she only does it to show up the preacher's wife. It's made out of dozens of fresh 'possum spincters all baked into a pie desert pan with whipped cream and cinnamon. Or is it mayonaise and black pepper? Oh well, I can't remember and I don't guess it makes much difference. So, after dinner we all went home to mourn in our own way , 'cept old Uncle Wildeye who sat in the corner on that spare burlap bag and giggled. Nothing unusual at all went on that I could see. Monty

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Monty .
I'm dissapointed . I thought you had more class than hang out with a bunch of reprobates on a thread like this :laughing7:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What if there wasn't enough money to pay the undertaker?

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
What if there wasn't enough money to pay the undertaker?
Either the undertaker cut his price or the corpse started stinkin . Store keeper dropped dead . Priest kept prayin long as people kept givin money . Prayed him out of Purgatory into Hell and everyone quit givin money and went home . No brag , just fact .

S

stefen

Was that Father Justa Anuderbouy from Morgantown West Virginia by chance?

Last edited:

dances for eels

Sep 22, 2011
Stayed up just once, in Hawkins County, Tennessee; a Cherokee friend died and I sat up with the family. His wife had washed the body and he was laid out in the living room. I was fairly young but I remember that, late in the night, someone walked into the room dressed in some of the dead man's clothes and walked over to the mantle and took a jar of honey out of his pocket, opened it and left it on the mantle. Then the wife went to the kitchen and returned with salt and some bread and gave it to the 'stranger' who put the salt in one pocket and the bread in another and then walked out of the room. Nobody spoke during the exchange. The Cherokee man was buried on the property the next morning, wrapped in a sheet, no casket, near a cedar tree.

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stayed up just once, in Hawkins County, Tennessee; a Cherokee friend died and I sat up with the family. His wife had washed the body and he was laid out in the living room. I was fairly young but I remember that, late in the night, someone walked into the room dressed in some of the dead man's clothes and walked over to the mantle and took a jar of honey out of his pocket, opened it and left it on the mantle. Then the wife went to the kitchen and returned with salt and some bread and gave it to the 'stranger' who put the salt in one pocket and the bread in another and then walked out of the room. Nobody spoke during the exchange. The Cherokee man was buried on the property the next morning, wrapped in a sheet, no casket, near a cedar tree.

Kind of cool but spooky......

S

stefen

They only buried half the body. :laughing7:

Yeah...

Coulda buried him with his butt sticking out of the ground...

And the family members would have a place to park a bike while they visited the grave...

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
You know what I'm talking about . Don't be offended by the other posters . This is the Nonsense Forum and they are supposed to be as sick here as some of them really are :tongue3:
Jim

S

stefen

coffeescreen.gif

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pennies placed over the eyes...Did the Taker steal the poor Bastids sense? :dontknow:

S

stefen

As with the Cherokee's, there are enumerable cultural methods for burial throughout the world.

Some above ground, in boats let to drift at sea, in caves, in sitting positions, burial jugs, heads pointing north or various directions...

For instance, a person of the jewish culture buries its dead within 24 hours, naked, and in a plain unadorned wood coffin. Mourners clothes are torn, mirrors are covered...

A headstone is placed at the end of a 12 month mourning period. And there are many other rituals which I have not mention, but which are equally as significant.

Each is to be respected for what it is.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread