do some people start threads about nonsense just to add to thier post count

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I wonder how much more compact the forum would be if nothing was allowed unless it was on topic in terms of treasure hunting,methods,historical researh, and so on.

The forum has been expanded tremendously over the years to make it less compact yet 90% of the General Discussion threads fit much better by definition into the unique/specific forums that were created for them. But, I understand the exposure thing...people want to be heard and liked. I've noticed that several forums that I frequent have taken the same approach, more Facebook like. I wonder if Facebook is kinda setting the standard now or if site owners are trying to retain/gain "customers" and engagement numbers?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The forum has been expanded tremendously over the years to make it less compact yet 90% of the General Discussion threads fit much better by definition into the unique/specific forums that were created for them. But, I understand the exposure thing...people want to be heard and liked. I've noticed that several forums that I frequent have taken the same approach, more Facebook like. I wonder if Facebook is kinda setting the standard now or if site owners are trying to retain/gain "customers" and engagement numbers?

Has nothing to do with Facebook, TreasureNet has grown over the years as forums and sub-forums were added at request of members if management felt it was a good move for members and the forum. If members think s thread is in the wrong forum report it and mods will look and see if it needs to be moved, if it isn't moved that means we saw no reason to move it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all yes, I realize I'm responding to a 2013 thread so don't anyone call me out just to bump your post total...lol

I'm one of the "founding" members of this site, usually hop on every day and you'll notice my post count is pretty low comparatively speaking. Matter of fact, I'm not even sure what my post/like numbers are, never look at them (I will in a minute).

I will say this, many members including me find it quite comical when a new member joins and blazes away with babble. The objective is pretty obvious. Why though? Why are those numbers so important? I don't get it. Those folks add very little content and are quietly ignored by the majority of members, I see it all the time. Most of their posts are limited to "nice find" or "banner" but when they have something to say that adds value, the love just isn't there.

Personally, when I'm viewing threads/replies, I look at the avatars before choosing what I'm going to spend my time viewing. After several months of reading babble, I associate said babble with the avatar and I apply my brain's built in ignore feature. I vote that you sacrifice post numbers for good content. I mean, you're not getting paid or acknowledged for your effort and you're taking up web space.
I realized the age of this thread before I responded myself the first time. I guess I could be considered a "founding" member too since a few of the forum categories on here were my ideas. However I do post most every day and my post count shows that. The ones I post mostly in actually are the ones I had a hand in creating, garage sales, thrift stores and ebay.

I will usually try to contribute to others threads with some sort of substance. Sometimes I'll post just to keep up with a thread if it interests me. I'll admit though, I like to BS too every now and then. Nothing wrong with that. I agree with you, I look at the name of the poster before I reply or waste my time looking I should say.

I don't necessarily care about likes either except when others start comparing their post count to them, like it's an achievement or something, lol. If I wanted to be popular, I wouldn't be an ass like I am at times on here. Heck, one member has me blocked right now on this thread. :laughing7: Who cares. You like me or you don't.
Many on here don't remember this place when Mark owned it, before the FB mentality.

Foundry took over in early 2012, February I believe. It's expanded and so has the member base and it's forums. I fully agree with Hillbilly Prince on his comments regarding the FB mentality on here. It's all good though. I think most everyone on here does share a common interest in one fashion or another. People are people, they're gonna do what they're gonna do, can't change 'em. Takes all kinds to make the world. Let 'em post their one word or comical comments if they see fit.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well said. It is all good. I don't know people well enough to avoid them yet. There are a couple who I do know are really a waste of tine unless you want to have a little fun. I am drawn by the title of a thread usually. Don't check for the poster's likes. Likes are really an odd concept. Prople want approbation.
I noticed a growing trend on Devant art and YT a number of years ago. Many people only wanted likes and praise. No constructive criticism, no suggestions for improvement. They were offended if others offered other than love for their stuff.
TNET is teeming with cool folks, which is amazing considering the size of this operation.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked with a lady once who had to have reduction surgery. She told me they removed 20 lbs and she still looked huge. She had suffered from terrible headaches.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes opinions not wanted in what is it thier already sure why post it then

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread