Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and you never know what it tastes like or the headache from smoking the corn silk in the fall! :laughing7: What can I say? I did a lot of dumb things as a kid! Well? All through life!

Or running through those field only to run into the giant black and yellow spiders hanging in webs between the rows!

I didn't live in those states but Ohio has enough that I know what your talking about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
now, those are some scary spiders!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Big enough to shoot with a BB gun a foot or two away!:laughing7: Yes...I grew up surrounded by corn fields, when I lived at my Dad's. Got borring at times, had to look for entertainment!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and look big enough to eat you especially to an 8 year old. They are completely harmless, to us. I was going to say they wouldn't hurt a fly but......

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
if you don't live in Indiana, Illinois, or Iowa, you may never have smelled a cornfield with tassles on a summer evening
If not you have been cheated out of one of the best fragrances in nature

Corn is grown in other states Jeff...l.o.l...

Fresh cut hay is another good one.

In my motorcycle days low spots in terrain that roads went through often piled up scent at night . Corn could about take your breath away at times it would be so strong scented.

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
also, I always have noticed that smells and sounds are easier to pick up in the dark

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and you never know what it tastes like or the headache from smoking the corn silk in the fall! :laughing7: What can I say? I did a lot of dumb things as a kid! Well? All through life!

Or running through those field only to run into the giant black and yellow spiders hanging in webs between the rows!

I didn't live in those states but Ohio has enough that I know what your talking about.
Lol...this is great. Wife and I went for a walk and we commented on the corn field and that distinct smell tonight. (Michigan here.) Spent the night with a friend and he was smoking the corn silk as a kid. I had one puff and never went back. Had corn fields that ran up to my yard as a kid and those spiders are cool. How about running (tag) through the rows of corn then realizing how they welt your skin up terribly. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and don't ever take a job detasseling corn

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and don't ever take a job detasseling corn
Lol....the rents knew how to stretch the money. Detasseling sweet corn is worth it because it is good. But Detasseling field corn is worse because it doesn't taste nearly as good. Some would say bad. Rents would always check the corn and be like....go get some corn for dinner. Lol

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol....the rents knew how to stretch the money. Detasseling sweet corn is worth it because it is good. But Detasseling field corn is worse because it doesn't taste nearly as good. Some would say bad. Rents would always check the corn and be like....go get some corn for dinner. Lol

No "Hog corn"(don't know the real name that's what we called it) isn't any good. But we always ate it as kids camping in the wilderness....Well, it was actually the back yard! But was still scary! :laughing7: OHHH Yuck, I have that taste in my mouth just thinking about it...raw of course! We were allowed to have bb guns but no matches for fire....Go figure!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different area, different smell. I cleaned out the chicken house. Oh the aroma. Late I was petting one of the hens. She smelled very nice. Funny how they don't pick up the bad smell. (Then I wanted fried chicken for dinner.) No joke, although Buttercup will NEVER EVER be dinner. Three spoiled rotten pets. Every time I go to the local store they ask what I got the chickens. They LOVE blueberry muffins but today had grape tomatoes. And they volunteer to de-tassel the corn, all of it.

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No "Hog corn"(don't know the real name that's what we called it) isn't any good. But we always ate it as kids camping in the wilderness....Well, it was actually the back yard! But was still scary! :laughing7: OHHH Yuck, I have that taste in my mouth just thinking about it...raw of course! We were allowed to have bb guns but no matches for fire....Go figure!
Hog corn is a very appropriate name! Maybe your parents were smart on the matches. We had a huge field that ran about a mile straight back into a creek. My cousin and I camped back there and he brought smokes and matches. Next morning I came up to the house for some supplies and when I returned all I saw was black smoke pouring from the campsite. We use to burn ditches so I grabbed a shovel and ran. Met my cousin who was freaked and luckily the wind was blowing towards the creek and self contained itself. He had decided to build a campfire in the tall yellow grass/weeds. Tent did not survive. Those were the days

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
having a cool spell for this time of year, nice precursor of fall ( my fav time of year)

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll have to try that one

13dolphins1

Gold Member
Jul 6, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a 22 (still have it) and would hunt anything along the creeks that ran all over the fields...dad use to train and coon hunt when the fur's were actually worth money. He use to enter state compitions and win. I have a photo of him and his brother with their dogs next to a pickup with the back filled with raccoons....I guess we were rednecks. Lol

OP
OP
Peyton Manning

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no possums?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I woke up to the smell of skunk this morning. Actually, yesterday too. Think one is setting up camp in the back yard??
Saw 2 skunk roadkill yesterday.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread