Is zero a number? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Is zero a number?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    DEPLORABLE

Jul 2015
    Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
    E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
    21364 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Prince View Post
    Well, where there is no light there is darkness. In the far reaches of space I would think there is darkness.
    If you read the link zero was invented.
    I heard once it is a place holder.
    The world is very complex.
    So you have traveled through space?? I suspected all along that you were related to Honest Sam. Ah ha,,
    SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDN'T KNOW NOW ,,, WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW THEN,, Bob Seger

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by against the wind View Post
    So you have traveled through space?? I suspected all along that you were related to Honest Sam. Ah ha,,
    No, but I would guess if you had no flashlight out there where there are no stars it would be dark.
    I have had missing time but it was due to Red Bud-not aliens, who always wear atomic watches and are very prompt.
    Honest Samuel was my partner in a secret plot to win New Contest. I think the cat took off with him to Ananus, the alien world (not to be confused with Uranus).
    His cat is Tippy? Or Tipsy, or Miss Tipsy. Forgot.
    We are not related, unless he has a lot of money.
    Simon1 and Rebel - KGC like this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    6902 times
    Zero is the number for nothing quite simply. And it is the place holder in the decimal system when nothing exists for that position. It is how we see mathematically the diffeference between .1 and .01 ten cents and a penny as an example no other number means nothing no matter how Ifinite it’s decimal
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Jul 2016
    1637 times
    No, but I would guess if you had no flashlight out there where there are no stars it would be dark.
    I have had missing time but it was due to Red Bud-not aliens, who always wear atomic watches and are very prompt.
    Honest Samuel was my partner in a secret plot to win New Contest. I think the cat took off with him to Ananus, the alien world (not to be confused with Uranus).
    His cat is Tippy? Or Tipsy, or Miss Tipsy. Forgot.
    We are not related, unless he has a lot of money.
    I knew you were in cahoots with Sam! I was 0% sure of it!
    Last
    Rebel - KGC likes this.

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    12114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 13dolphins1 View Post
    I knew you were in cahoots with Sam! I was 0% sure of it!
    Last
    Our cahootness was openly discussed in the other thread. You should have been .000000000001 % sure.
    But now I'm thinking: Leptons and quarks constitute the smallest particles of matter, based on contemporary evidence in the field of particle physics.
    But if you dismantle them they have to be made of smaller things. But doesn't a point come when there is nothing. Maybe you flip through to an alternate universe? Imagine these numbers representing matter being broken down into smaller parts.
    6543210|0123456. The line represents the wall between our universe and the next.
    Anyway, by the time Sam is off his time out, I will be a fossil.
    Rebel - KGC likes this.
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1718 times
    Metal Detecting
    trdking states it quite clear, zero is a place holder. It differentiates true values from each other and as such it is a number with value relative to the difference between sums of one.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1803 times
    I have dealt with numbers less than zero in working with pressures. Like a fan discharge might have a positive number, the intake might be a negative number or less than zero. In this case it's the measuring system. If I were to measure using absolute pressures, all measurements would be positive and the new zero would be actual zero.
    I remember reading about a scientist trying to explain zero to some tribe in a rain forest. They thought he was nuts.
    The journey of negative numbers will eventually arrive at empty time and empty space me thinks.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    12172 times
    Metal Detecting
    Well, where there is no light there is darkness. In the far reaches of space I would think there is darkness.
    Darkness is the only thing that can travel at or faster than the speed of light. Because wherever light goes darkness has to move fast enough to get out of the way.

Zero is what exists between all the positive numbers and all the negative numbers.

Think of it in binary: "0" is off vs the "1" used to indicate on. So the number 214 looks like 11010110. Not really holding a place - just indicating that place is "off" in the base code.
    Hillbilly Prince likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links