Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is winter it is a good time to prepare for emergencies situations, such as getting snowed in for days at a time.
If you are unable to get out and the food starts running low, you may have to start thinking about putting Tabby to good use. Of course you may not want to eat your cat, or cats, but it is better than going Donner Party.
So this thread is for anyone wishing to share some dishes featuring those rodents with fur-covered tails who brighten your life.
Beading in mind the snowbound may be down to flour and seasonings, please keep it simple. Another thing: since the heat and electricity may be off, any dish which can be cooked over a candle would be a plus.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog tastes better. And there's more to share. At least that's what my cat told me to type.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Smokey is right, dog does taste better. Cat is like eating monkey, there is just nothing you can do to prep it so that it does not taste that way.

I would recommend stocking up, doing some canning, set your self up for a good 30 days if weather is the foreseeable threat. Even make some ready to cook pizza and deep freeze them.

Really there are far too many resources out there to ensure you have a healthy winter or lifestyle.

Now I am not voting to save cats, I think about as highly of cats as I do sharks or terrorist.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog tastes better. And there's more to share. At least that's what my cat told me to type.

But dog can go tell someone you are snow bound.
Cats are known to be less than honest,
, according to some studies.
Although I have heard of lying cooon dogs. But that is anecdotal evidence.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokey is right, dog does taste better. Cat is like eating monkey, there is just nothing you can do to prep it so that it does not taste that way.

I would recommend stocking up, doing some canning, set your self up for a good 30 days if weather is the foreseeable threat. Even make some ready to cook pizza and deep freeze them.

Really there are far too many resources out there to ensure you have a healthy winter or lifestyle.

Now I am not voting to save cats, I think about as highly of cats as I do sharks or terrorist.

Although I Don't hate sharks or cats, I do respect sharks like I respect copperhead.
This is for 98% who neither can, stock up or prepare.
Those who react rather than pre-act.
Okay, we can have recipes for monkeys, sharks and terrorists if you like. But most people generally find cats more common.
I think it was Louis Armstrong whose grandmother routinely fried rats for them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no native monkeys near where I live. We have tons of deer however.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I Don't hate sharks or cats, I do respect sharks like I respect copperhead.
This is for 98% who neither can, stock up or prepare.
Those who react rather than pre-act.
Okay, we can have recipes for monkeys, sharks and terrorists if you like. But most people generally find cats more common.
I thing it was Louis Armstrong whose grandmother routinely fried rats for them.

Yeah mate, something tells me it is sort of an unspoken rule here on Tnet to not share many details on how to prepare Terry.

But yeah I get you with folks who react, never understood that. They will have all sorts of things laying around, like more d cell bats than you can use that are 20 years old and nothing to put them in. Best they can come up with is a ziplock bag at the buffet.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I'm thinking here on the East Coast we are going to get hammered by snow this winter. I have no foundation to base this feeling, but I think we are due.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah mate, something tells me it is sort of an unspoken rule here on Tnet to not share many details on how to prepare Terry.

But yeah I get you with folks who react, never understood that. They will have all sorts of things laying around, like more d cell bats than you can use that are 20 years old and nothing to put them in. Best they can come up with is a ziplock bag at the buffet.

I am speaking of common cats-not Terry. Actually I would not eat cat. There are a few squirrels around.
My brother was a supervisor in a beef processing plant in Kansas. There was a large population of Vietnamese and many worked at the plant. They used to bring him home-cooked stuff-he loved the food but never asked the source of the meat.
People make use of what they have, right?

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW I'm thinking here on the East Coast we are going to get hammered by snow this winter. I have no foundation to base this feeling, but I think we are due.

We have bug wooly worms. Brown and black bands.
Every year people point out how big the black bands are and say it is a sign of a bad winter ahead.
We have bad ones and mild ones. Soneti.es no snow at all. T-shirt weather in December.
East coast often does get hammered.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
But dog can go tell someone you are snow bound.
Cats are known to be less than honest,
, according to some studies.
Although I have heard of lying cooon dogs. But that is anecdotal evidence.

Jerry Crower is not anecdotal.....And a monkey with a pistol trumps a lyin coon dog!
Cats are coon dog trainers. So ,I'd have to go vegan till the dogs got trained on cat ,then pitched into the attic to catch coons for eats...
With communal effort , and the rice stash ; the cats might stand a chance if spring comes early.

Oh wait , I'm out of cats....

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Luckily it's Deer Season in MO...Unlimited Doe Tags that the Deer can be given to those who can't get out.
Hunters For Hunger.

A lot of Churches and Non Profit Orgs serve free Hot Meals and Sack Lunches and Many have food pantries. With all the Free resources nowadays, nobody needs to starve.

I'd Never Eat Vietnamese or Middle Eastern Food... No matter what.

Heat is another matter though. Lots of folks need help with that.

Kace

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jerry Crower is not anecdotal.....And a monkey with a pistol trumps a lyin coon dog!
Cats are coon dog trainers. So ,I'd have to go vegan till the dogs got trained on cat ,then pitched into the attic to catch coons for eats...
With communal effort , and the rice stash ; the cats might stand a chance if spring comes early.

Oh wait , I'm out of cats....

You better get some! Would you like some generic orange cats?
Have you ever eaten raccoon?

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily it's Deer Season in MO...Unlimited Doe Tags that the Deer can be given to those who can't get out.
Hunters For Hunger.

A lot of Churches and Non Profit Orgs serve free Hot Meals and Sack Lunches and Many have food pantries. With all the Free resources nowadays, nobody needs to starve.

I'd Never Eat Vietnamese or Middle Eastern Food... No matter what.

Heat is another matter though. Lots of folks need help with that.

Kace

Well, I was thinking of people getting snowed in who live out of town. Trying to be helpful :p
There is no need for anyone to be hungry in America.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I was thinking of people getting snowed in who live out of town. Trying to be helpful :p
There is no need for anyone to be hungry in America.

See if you can get involved with a Hunters For Hunger/Hunters Against Hunger group. Your accountant can use all you kill and donate on your taxes and the processing plant/butcher gets deductions too. Save all your clothing, equipment, gas and whatever else you use receipts. Oh and mileage for everything involved.

You can also get credits for delivering them to folks in need of more meat and it keeps the herds down and less chance of disease.

Do you have a big Wild Hog population where you are? Same thing works for them too.

Some folks like to hunt but can't eat a full deer a year and some families can eat a deer or two a year but can't hunt. It's a win win.

A guy I know has two kids and a wife...every year Each of them (4) get 10 deer tags total apiece. They figure that into their food budget every year. They trot line and hunt everything you can think of. They cut wood all year. All figured into their yearly budget. He showed me once what they spend on heat and food...It was a quarter of a two family household per year. They don't have to do that, but he said it keeps the family close and allows for more savings and extras.

When HFH got going good...It was phenomenal how many folks that helped and hunters didn't feel like they were killing a deer that would go to waste.

Kace

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You better get some! Would you like some generic orange cats?
Have you ever eaten raccoon?

Have eaten stuff that Dad said was meat...
For those who didn't like goat ,it was called venison. For those who didn't like venison ,it was called goat.
He brought meat to work and after everyone complimented him on it said it was cat....

I've never cooked a coon myself. Relieved a few of their coats though, and a neighbor had some prized hounds he took me along runnin before.
Rutabagas for a snack in the wee hours at an artisan well where a schoolhouse used to stand. Dogs fighting a coon in the river one night...

Did cook a winter thaw frolicking possum once. Knowing one fed on fruit in the fall would be better.
That thing tasted like a dirty wet dog smells. Bout cured me of catchin possums by hand , except to turn them loose after when my dogs raised cain at night and treed them by my compost pile...

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have eaten stuff that Dad said was meat...
For those who didn't like goat ,it was called venison. For those who didn't like venison ,it was called goat.
He brought meat to work and after everyone complimented him on it said it was cat....

I've never cooked a coon myself. Relieved a few of their coats though, and a neighbor had some prized hounds he took me along runnin before.
Rutabagas for a snack in the wee hours at an artisan well where a schoolhouse used to stand. Dogs fighting a coon in the river one night...

Did cook a winter thaw frolicking possum once. Knowing one fed on fruit in the fall would be better.
That thing tasted like a dirty wet dog smells. Bout cured me of catchin possums by hand , except to turn them loose after when my dogs raised cain at night and treed them by my compost pile...

My dad knew a guy wbo ate possum all the time. Loved it. Then one day he spotted a bloated dead cow in a field. He went to investigate and found about twenty possums eating away in the cow's stomach. Never ate them again. We had hillbilly cousin. One day him and his family drop by and bring a ground hog in one of those big turkey pans. Cooked black. Left it for us fortunately rather than stay and eat it with us.
None of us were brave enough to try it. Looked like a huge blob of charred meat and lard.
What kind of hounds you have. I had most kinds. About to convince myself to get another red tick.
Never hunted for hides. One night a coin jumped out of a tree and ran up my leg with the hounds after him. He decided I wasn't tall enough just as the hounds swarmed me :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread