Boy what did we human beings do to this earth

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You no as a metal detector person I find it absolutely insulting and disturbing how much **** we polluted into the earth. Mighty shameful and Iā€™m just talking about what I find a foot or so down. What the hell is the matter with us people. Iā€™m not happy about it regardless of what I can do about it, reminds me of that Indian commercial concerning garbage of America. What the hell is wrong with us. Can u just imagine what is not seen and that includes the waters to. Iā€™ve had enough dam bothers me how ignorant we are, destroying the very dam planet that gave us a clean place, ok going go we are shameful no excuses. Makes a grown man cry

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man has always been like that. It's the reason archeologists love excavating where humans used to live.

Kansas_Jayhawk

Mar 11, 2017
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 and Tesoro Silver uMicromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Humans overall are not being good stewards of this planet. I'm not sold on global warming - just too many unanswered questions. As for pollution it is pathetic when you go to a campground or a drive in the mountains and see garbage one the roadsides. What was once thought to be a way to reduce energy now plastics are a huge problem. "Islands" of plastic can be found floating in the ocean off the coast of California. Heck, just look at California and the homeless situation and what they are doing to the environment and get this - Denver is looking to make it legal to campout (live) in city parks and you can park your RV/camper on any city street and live in it. With all of the technology we have I'm amazed we cannot find "containers" that can be used where the time it takes to break down into "dirt" is short or "trash bags" breakdown quickly not decades or longer. Yes I hear you.

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is sad, and i think we have passed the tipping point. Buried metals and trash-treasures found years later by detectors is not the problem -- rampant destruction of wild nature, both plants and animals, is the problem.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boy what did we human beings do to this earth..

49er12, the question is actually "Boy what did we human beings do to OURSELVES"

As a planetary body, the Earth is doing just fine. It's the ability of
the planet to sustain advanced life that is the issue. The Earth's
been rotating the Sun for a bit over 4 1/2 Billion years, meaning
the 300-400 thousand years that humankind has been around
is only a hiccup in geological time.

And yes, mankind is now destroying the planet's ability to sustain
advanced life. Our oceans are full of micro-plastic and who knows
what else, we've corrupted the atmosphere with our by-products;
the list could go on and on....

..and all of this coming only from the last 250 years.

The Earth will be just fine for another 3-4 Billion years before
our star begins to expand and die. Humankind? We'll be lucky
to make it another 1000 years.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've lived in rural IL most of my life. It's cleaner now than it's ever been. I'm not talking about underground, but the roadsides and farms. In the 50's and 60's there was so much trash on the sides of the roads it wasn't funny. Junk farms with old rusted equipment everywhere. Now, there's few junk farms left and the roadsides are way cleaner than n the past. I think we're doing better around here anyway. Gary

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost every time I'm hiking deep in the woods, I come across Mylar Balloons that were accidentally or intentionally released. I have found as many as 3 several times. And then there are the empty pop and beer cans in the woods. If you can carry it in full, you certainly can carry it out empty.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Humans overall are not being good stewards of this planet. I'm not sold on global warming - just too many unanswered questions. As for pollution it is pathetic when you go to a campground or a drive in the mountains and see garbage one the roadsides. What was once thought to be a way to reduce energy now plastics are a huge problem. "Islands" of plastic can be found floating in the ocean off the coast of California. Heck, just look at California and the homeless situation and what they are doing to the environment and get this - Denver is looking to make it legal to campout (live) in city parks and you can park your RV/camper on any city street and live in it. With all of the technology we have I'm amazed we cannot find "containers" that can be used where the time it takes to break down into "dirt" is short or "trash bags" breakdown quickly not decades or longer. Yes I hear you.

A lot of people don't know this, but rain forests are responsible for roughly one-third (28%) of the Earth's oxygen but most (70%) of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by marine plants. The remaining 2 percent of Earth's oxygen comes from other sources. So why does mankind use the ocean as a dump and continue to destroy the rain forests???

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
A lot of people don't know this, but rain forests are responsible for roughly one-third (28%) of the Earth's oxygen but most (70%) of the oxygen in the atmosphere is produced by marine plants. The remaining 2 percent of Earth's oxygen comes from other sources. So why does mankind use the ocean as a dump and continue to destroy the rain forests???

why?
we continue to reproduce as if extinction was at our doorstep, AND we have, by default, opted for quantity over quality
I have 40 years in the rainforest and arial photos of where I live from the '70s; the destruction is ongoing, relentless, and driven by house building, farming, and roads. So long as we, collectively, are unwilling to address the size of the population -> we are doomed to live and breed in ever more contaminated surroundings.

Pura Vida (actually a sarcastic punch-line from a '60s movie, adoped by the Ticos)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

In a word...GREED

Just to be clear, we need to consider all of this on a Global Scale.
Many large countries haven't even begun to implement most of
measures the US has.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
America is pretty clean except for the cities. If you want to "save" the world you should be speaking in chineese.

Just another Red teaching coercion and force as virtues, it'll be cleaner when Red says it is. Nothing new under the sun.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you 49er. We humans are completely destroying the planet. We can change our lifestyle habits: (eat less animal products, consume less stuff, drive less, recycle more, etc. ) We can un-elect the imbeciles running our country who want to take away regulations affecting the air we breath (that have saved millions of lives by reducing pollution) change to cleaner energy which is completely possible.... Americans are a small part of the world population but we use the most resources and play a large role in messing it up for other people around the world. The rest of the world want our lifestyle. As greedy as it sounds if everyone lived our lifestyle (with basic things like cars, televisions and refrigerators) the planet would go kaput. The thing that I try to wrap my head around is that I pull all this garbage out of the ground where it is litter, and when I dump it in a trash can it goes somewhere else... where that is I don't know but it probably gets burned (creating more pollution) or put in a landfill (essentially it is reburied somewhere else). A small portion of it goes to my club that collects scrap metal.

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I'm with you 49er. We humans are completely destroying the planet. We can change our lifestyle habits: (eat less animal products, consume less stuff, drive less, recycle more, etc. ) We can un-elect the imbeciles running our country who want to take away regulations affecting the air we breath (that have saved millions of lives by reducing pollution) change to cleaner energy which is completely possible.... Americans are a small part of the world population but we use the most resources and play a large role in messing it up for other people around the world. The rest of the world want our lifestyle. As greedy as it sounds if everyone lived our lifestyle (with basic things like cars, televisions and refrigerators) the planet would go kaput. The thing that I try to wrap my head around is that I pull all this garbage out of the ground where it is litter, and when I dump it in a trash can it goes somewhere else... where that is I don't know but it probably gets burned (creating more pollution) or put in a landfill (essentially it is reburied somewhere else). A small portion of it goes to my club that collects scrap metal.

garbage, like reading scat, can inform
where does garbage originate?
what is (considered) garbage?
is garbage the product of a (particular) political system?
what is the relationship between garbage and economics?

That we, meaning the US, live in a throw-away society is well known; we pitch objects, people, societies, - everything we don't like (or cannot make a profit from) - into the garbage.
Recycle? only old spent politicians, he he, and we re-elect them over and over because they help us do what we are unable to understand

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a near pass by lPlanet X makes man's efforts to degrade the planet seem like nothing.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all ever notice the fact that the poorer a people are, the more garbage laying around the street? It's true.

Yet here you are in the greatest , cleanest country in the free world complaining that your very own car, your very own refrigerator, your very own television is ruining the planet and all the while lamenting that some others do without.

So let me ask you this- how much garbage is there in YOUR street?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
. . . .
Yet here you are in the greatest , cleanest country in the free world . . . .

It is obvious you have not traveled to Europe. I went to school in Switzerland 50 years ago and their "standard of living" was even then noticeably 'better' than the US, and still is so. A us quarter was silver, and so was the swiss franc; and both the same size and worth the same. Clean streets? Yes then, and still today.

(Deleted by mod for rule infraction)
Wikipendejo

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread