Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Between all the glory finds is hard work and learning. This is my first attempt at sifting a known pit so it's A lot of uphill work. Here's the spot with the marker I left two months ago!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471649516.132808.jpg
The story behind this is about two months ago I dug about a dozen buttons and a seated quarter. Lots of iron and some pontiled bottles in some dug dirt. So I returned with some advise from Brad and Company.

All the button signals were masked, as well as much of the other non-ferrous finds.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471649644.912972.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471649656.252359.jpg
I found a lot of hand blown glass and clam shells. On Eastern Long Island as well as many other places, shellfish was a major (fresh) food source of colonists. One of the earlier items I was very excited to dig was the mold poured spoon handle made of pewter. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471649720.536881.jpg

Found a good amount of iron too. A great early hand wrought axe head, some buckles, and lots of nails. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471649778.573415.jpg

They can't all be winners but it was great getting out. I'll continue to dig the pit but I suspect it was disturbed many years ago when the house was razed. Enjoy

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job man! That's a very promising assortment of artifacts. What were the dimensions of the area you excavated and how deep did it go before the iron was out?

Keep at it... the crazy thing is a section two feet over can have a pocket of keepers. Most of my sifting days look like this one, but I've had a few sections where buttons, coins and relics just pour out of a small area... it's the most fun ever when that happens. We'll get into it in Oct with my sifter and maybe bend the learning curve a bit. My learning curve was backbreaking which included building three different designed sifters to improve efficiency.

I can't wait to see what else you pull outta that pit. If you want those 3 iron buckle frames tumbled and that axe head zapped, I know a guy!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome job man! That's a very promising assortment of artifacts. What were the dimensions of the area you excavated and how deep did it go before the iron was out?

Keep at it... the crazy thing is a section two feet over can have a pocket of keepers. Most of my sifting days look like this one, but I've had a few sections where buttons, coins and relics just pour out of a small area... it's the most fun ever when that happens. We'll get into it in Oct with my sifter and maybe bend the learning curve a bit. My learning curve was backbreaking which included building three different designed sifters to improve efficiency.

I can't wait to see what else you pull outta that pit. If you want those 3 iron buckle frames tumbled and that axe head zapped, I know a guy!

Thx Brad. I did (3) 2X4' sections and the depth was a little over a foot. Funny thing was the sand I was digging in was grey in the trash layers and golden below, so I knew where the trash layer ended even before testing it with the detector.

October sounds like a plan. You should make an instructional video about how to teach two Neanderthals to dig trash pits! Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Subscribed! That to me would be the hunt of a lifetime.

Thanks buddy. To detectorists this trash looks like treasure. To everyone else it looks like Art (joke). My wife saw the trash pile before sorting and said, "that's it?!"

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx Brad. I did (3) 2X4' sections and the depth was a little over a foot. Funny thing was the sand I was digging in was grey in the trash layers and golden below, so I knew where the trash layer ended even before testing it with the detector.

October sounds like a plan. You should make an instructional video about how to teach two Neanderthals to dig trash pits! Lol

Oh we can learn buddy. Even though we are just dumb with strong backs and very small brains.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did very well with your first attempt-you found a lot of metal relics. Was that all of the pottery and glass you recovered? I usually find a lot more pottery than I do keeper metallic relics.

The part I hate about sifting is filling in the hole at the end of the day. By that time I'm usually whipped, hot, sweaty and filthy and just want to go home and take a shower (and drink a cold one or three). But it has to be done-and it's all well worth the effort.

Keep digging

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like you did very well with your first attempt-you found a lot of metal relics. Was that all of the pottery and glass you recovered? I usually find a lot more pottery than I do keeper metallic relics.

The part I hate about sifting is filling in the hole at the end of the day. By that time I'm usually whipped, hot, sweaty and filthy and just want to go home and take a shower (and drink a cold one or three). But it has to be done-and it's all well worth the effort.

Keep digging

Yes, that was all I recovered from the sections I opened up. It was sandy soil so I dug the pits until I reached clean soil, then scanned, so it was real easy to see the bottom of the pits. I believe things were a bit scattered due to earth movers having been there. I just need to open up more sections next time I'm there. I stopped after 2 holes for the reason you mentioned. Hot and sweaty due to tons of roots. Lol

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the finds! Sifting is a lot of work, but the rewards can be wonderful as in your finds.

I have been sifting a few colonial trash pits, bottle dump areas and an old clothes dump; finds galore if you are willing to work hard.

Detector mom

Oct 5, 2011
Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
white's mdx 300; simplex plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Totally impressed. Hard work and good research. ��

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions