Fisher F75 SE
Bounty Hunter Platinum (back up)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log_cabin

Most of the log cabins built in my area were 10x12 and 10x16, the "foundation" consisting of a large rock on all four corners. I have seen a handful of cabins that had rock under all 4 sides, surrounding the entire cabin but, that would be the exception.....Central Kentucky, 1850's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input! This structure is definitely not much bigger that 10' wide.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would have used rough hewn logs, suckers could be 15-18" or more on a side. Then they put mortar and or other fill between the logs to seal them, wala! log cabin. The city slickers back then had more substantial houses with boards and floors and all that cool stuff. Big mica sheets could be used for glass if real glass was not available.

OP
OP
verbious

verbious

Jun 21, 2012
Elizabeth, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I'm starting to figure out that I've got 4 centuries of artifacts to find. The property that the cabin and foundation are on was established in the late 1700 or early 1800s. My grandmother, born in 1927, tenderness a family that lived in the cabin when she was little. As I've been digging around this old foundation, it appears that some of the artifacts that I am finding may have been dumped there from the main farmhouse which is quite a ways up the road.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread