Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found at the same spot as the 8 reales cob. This site was abandoned in 1744. I tried mechanically cleaning this but the dirt was too baked on. So I washed it off and when I did it ruined the look. If fact, the more I touched it, the more minute flakes of shell came off in my fingers. It dawned on me that it was breaking down. Without the dirt in the nooks and crannies of the engraving, it could not be seen. Yet, the more I played with it, the worse it got. I looked at my hands and it looked like I had glitter all over them. So in a desperate attempt to fix it, I finely ground some fresh coffee grounds and added a dab of vaseline. After thoroughly mixing together into a paste, I prayed and then wiped the gunk across the surface. Yay, got the look back. Its now in a small case and hopefully I didn't do anything to cause it to break down further.

Attachments

• IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    814.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    793.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    603.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0594.JPG
    IMG_0594.JPG
    853.9 KB · Views: 170

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Still looks good :coffee2:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a BEAUT!!!!! Congratz...

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You're a wealth of knowledge, and I will file this bit of knowledge on my "bank". Excellent recovery during the cleaning. Many would have abandoned ship. The result is a wonderful button

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
How in the world did you ever come up with that coffee grounds cleaning method?? But it obviously worked and brought out the best of that awesome find. Never seen nor dug one of those little gems - great find!

OP
OP
gwdigger

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How in the world did you ever come up with that coffee grounds cleaning method?? But it obviously worked and brought out the best of that awesome find. Never seen nor dug one of those little gems - great find!
I was trying to think of something to add contrast. Thought about adding water color paint to some vaseline but didnt have any. So I figured the tannins in the fresh coffee grounds would work. It did thankfully. Turned out way better than I even imagined.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread