COLONIAL IRON! Sling buckle, cauldron, bells, hoe, pitchfork, lock, and more!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the last year or so, I've really become hooked on the black and oxidized side of relics . Master Iron Preserver and Tnet member OutdoorAdv and I became friends a while ago, and he showed me the dark side of relics: IRON!!!

Brad has been kind enough to process some items that I'd like to show you all. These items have been collected over the last year and are some excellent examples of colonial Iron. Some may cross into the antebellum period, but none of the sites these relics came from existed past 1820.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376046.991283.jpg
Pitchfork, hand-wrought hoe, and hand trowel.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376309.070859.jpg
Note the makeshift repairs done to the pitchfork.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376098.127252.jpg
A closeup of the hoe. Incredible to imagine this was bent by someone 200+ years ago.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376339.257190.jpg
Beautiful hand iron.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376358.275014.jpg
An amazing lock face Plate. This one came out incredible, and my hat is really off to Brad for the delicate restoration on this delicate one.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376428.695258.jpg
Two Iron bells.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376585.977511.jpg The small one still has the "dinger" inside. From best we could tell, we came to a consensus that these bells were copper plated.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376607.300799.jpg
And my absolute favourite - a mid/late 18th Century sling buckle. Wow!!!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376686.853228.jpg
All the buckles
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376701.214386.jpg
Smalls
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376736.595618.jpg
Larges. Note the hand forged pivot pin of a hinge. It was "clinched" (the end bent) after being driven through wood.

So keep that iron you find and show it some love [emoji173]️. You may be absolutely floored by what exists under that oxidation and dirt.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494376887.803967.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494377168.990267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1494377281.792676.jpg

Thanks again to Brad OutdoorAdv for the preservation. He's a master of the art and a great pal for spending the time preserving these amazing items.

Enjoy, and good hunts everyone!

Steve

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds! I think iron items like these are some of the most "under-appreciated" relics we often find. I love them! Very nice job on cleaning and preservation. I'd like to know the details of the method used. I use both apple cider vinegar and electrolysis, depending on the item. Thanks for sharing these!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! I think iron items like these are some of the most "under-appreciated" relics we often find. I love them! Very nice job on cleaning and preservation. I'd like to know the details of the method used. I use both apple cider vinegar and electrolysis, depending on the item. Thanks for sharing these!

You got it man. And you're absolutely right about the under appreciation. A few of these items are my absolute favourite in my entire collection of relics. Brad has all the details of the preservation, which he may or may not have posted on the preservation forum.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not only are iron relics cool they look good in in displays along side the brass and coins. That Brad is lethal with a car charger and some sacrificial anodes! Thanks for posting Steve-o!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just glad I'm not tripping over your box of iron in my garage anymore. Haha. That was a nice box of rusty iron you had... I had a good time deciding what to process. Those bells are my favorite man. I've never dug a complete iron cowbell, so it was cool to get a couple to process. I was unsure how'd they hold up, but they seemed to do well. Anyway, my setup has been running since Sunday, cleaning up all my iron from last weekend. Hopefully I can post that hunt later this week when it's all processed.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm just glad I'm not tripping over your box of iron in my garage anymore. Haha. That was a nice box of rusty iron you had... I had a good time deciding what to process. Those bells are my favorite man. I've never dug a complete iron cowbell, so it was cool to get a couple to process. I was unsure how'd they hold up, but they seemed to do well. Anyway, my setup has been running since Sunday, cleaning up all my iron from last weekend. Hopefully I can post that hunt later this week when it's all processed.

Great job! What method/process do you use to seal the iron after cleaning to prevent rust from returning? I've been applying 3 in 1 oil, letting that sit for a day or so, wiping away excess and then spraying a coat or 2 of poly on. This seems to work well for me.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job! What method/process do you use to seal the iron after cleaning to prevent rust from returning? I've been applying 3 in 1 oil, letting that sit for a day or so, wiping away excess and then spraying a coat or 2 of poly on. This seems to work well for me.

I use boiling candle wax, in a big pot, on a Coleman camp stove outside. Cheap unscented candles. I basically bring the wax past the boiling temperature of water and the iron goes in for about 10 min at boiling, then sit for about 20 min before removing the iron from the wax. It completely dries the iron and seals it.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use boiling candle wax, in a big pot, on a Coleman camp stove outside. Cheap unscented candles. I basically bring the wax past the boiling temperature of water and the iron goes in for about 10 min at boiling, then sit for about 20 min before removing the iron from the wax. It completely dries the iron and seals it.

Great, thanks.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff man!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing work, those old rusty tools etc had been worked hard and brought back to life. pretty cool

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too like to find the old iron. These tools were a must, and very valuable to people back then. I think that's why most we find are wore clean out. The availability and value of them would have made them hard to replace.
That's history in your hands.

Great job on preserving!
HH, RN

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice thread, I have more iron then a hoarder should stockpile. You should see what the plow brought up at the Hayfield, iron wise I'm talking, let alone all the brick, pottery, and glass. I have numerous cellar holes that are prime candidates for sifting.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
not only are iron relics cool they look good in in displays along side the brass and coins. That Brad is lethal with a car charger and some sacrificial anodes! Thanks for posting Steve-o!

Adding some black iron to the display enhances everything. Even my wife likes the iron and helped me rearrange my display. Brads iron brought us closer;)

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful items Steve. Brad really hooked you up. :thumbsup:

Seriously, if the guy asked me to build him a deck right after he gave me the iron, I would have said yes.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

The bell with the "dinger" is my favorite. I bet it sounds the same now as it did 225 years ago. Your work with the bells must have been tough as well - some of the iron was pretty thin, and it was plated with copper. Thanks again, I owe you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions