Creek or Small River

Tonto6

Greenie
Jan 28, 2011
Hi I just found this site and seems to be pretty good information on arrowheads here. I just started looking for arrowheads last spring and still trying to find the best places to look. I have only found a few broken pieces. We have property that has a gravel bottom creek that runs threw the property. I have found 1 broken woodland base in the creek but really haven’t hunted it too hard. Less than a mile from that creek is a small river that also is gravel bottom. I was just wondering what you guys would recommend me to hit the hardest? What would yield the best finds? Thanks a lot for any information.

Upvote 0

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Is the creek wet year round? Are there any 'high ground' areas near it? I'd try those spots first, and along the top of the banks near high ground, probably where the camps were. Check the creek in those places after hard rains, if you are finding chips and flakes then you're there.

I've seen finds that some get from gravel river bottoms, and while they look good in the water, they get 'sanded' smooth by the sand and smaller rocks. When they dry they look cloudy, and any good flint knapping features have been worn off. JMO though. I have seen some things that are in pretty decent shape.

Check for the high ground near the river though, probably your best bet. And if the creek meets the river, check the highest spot at that intersection.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

Tonto6

Greenie
Jan 28, 2011
Yes the creek is wet all year long. The deepest i seen in the creek was about 3 or 4 ft deep. About the high points,the whole area is hilly, the property is in the ozark mountains. The river is about the same dept as the creek maybe a few feet deeper in places its about 20 miles from where it comes out of the ground. The river has many springs that flow into it. This place has to have a ton of artifacts. I just need to know where to look to have the best chance to find something. Its just tough going since the whole area is so rocky. Also are the springs its self a good place to look? I cant dig but was wondering if the spring bed is a good place to look?

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Hello tonto where you from ? lets see your find? Sounds like a good winter camp area .-iowa trout

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would start where the creek and river join. Biggest sites I have seen are in the corner of the two. Start there on the banks and work backwards up each waterway.
Good luck !

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Yep, came in here to say what Tn.Mountains just said. High spots above the old flood plain between a river and creek or spring are usually a sure thing. Smaller creeks that have meandered through the years are imo the most productive. If they have cut into old sites along the way they can be very good.

OP
OP
T

Tonto6

Greenie
Jan 28, 2011
Ok thanks for all the help. Here is the point i found nothing much but im proud of it one of the bigger pieces I found its about 2 in. Not sure of the other rock its round with lines in it. Not sure if its petrified wood or just a rock.

Attachments

• 104_0914.JPG
    104_0914.JPG
    317.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 104_0916.JPG
    104_0916.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 379

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread