Whats not a nutting stone

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
What's not a nutting stone

It's kinda starting to seem like I'm becoming more of an expert on what's not an artifact, then what is. :-[ Here's one of the biggest foolers around central Iowa. Their Omars, all originating
in the Hudson Bay and brought down by glaciers.
bm

100_7844.jpg

Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Re: What's not a nutting stone

Sell em on ebay!
Just joking.That is a interesting pile of rocks if found around here we'd call some of em nut stones.Anyways thanks for sharing.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro

Now those are damn cool Bean dude. If I found them here, I would assume they were nutting stones. Very intriguing!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

maybe the indains traded them to other tribes to use as nutting stones---a little export biz---you might be at nutting stone central "factory" ;D ;D---- Ivan

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

If I would have found them all in one spot, I would have thought that Ivan. ;D You know me Matt, I was fooled for awhile, but then found them every time I went to the creek and slowly figured it out. If I found one in a campsite location or something I would believe it was used, but coming out of the creek, there's just no way to tell. Pickaway, I get the feeling that your like me in the fact that if I did sell them on ebay, I would sell them as Omars, not anything else and I doubt I would get much. ;) Thanks for the replies guys!
bm

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice bunch of nutting stones!

Just kidding! ;D Interesting and thanks for sharing the info. :)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin

Bean, I've gotta say Thank You, I've been trying to convince people for years that some are natural and over and over I've been met with "no it aint, it's a paint pot" or "it's a nutting stone" and while there are no doubt plenty of them out there people seem to think every single one is, your picture kind of puts that to rest. Of course I never knew they were called omars! Great post and pic!

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Your welcome Cannon, you'll like how I shoot some of beanheads rocks down, as soon as I get another camera. I'll give you a hint. Roy was right.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky

I bet that most people would stand in front of all those scratching their heads and thinking "What the heck??!!"

Those are pretty neat Bean Man!

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky

Cannonman17 said:
Bean, I've gotta say Thank You, I've been trying to convince people for years that some are natural and over and over I've been met with "no it aint, it's a paint pot" or "it's a nutting stone" and while there are no doubt plenty of them out there people seem to think every single one is, your picture kind of puts that to rest. Of course I never knew they were called omars! Great post and pic!

Cannonman! Where have you been?

Stoneking

Jun 18, 2012
NE OHIO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bean Man - Now that's a lot of Omars! I am writing an article on the cupstone mystery and I'd like to use your photo with permission. I have collected a lot of images of both natural and man-made types. Perhaps there's a book in the making~ Contact me! Thanks!

For those that believe they have a man-made artifact, hang in there! I have discovered a common sense explanation for these artifacts that fits all the physical evidence associated with genuine cupstone artifacts. I will post it when it is published. Get ready to slap yourselves in the head!

Last edited:

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
repost from other thread....

While I agree that all omarolluks were not artifacts I do feel that many were. Especially the ones found in areas near other artifacts. The one I have, from central Illinois (where glaciers did not reach), has grinding and sharpening marks all around the stone where it was used as a tool in addition to the cup being used. It seems too hard a line to say that all omars were never used by early man.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good informative post, bean man. I would never use them for nutting stones, but just lookin I would say they would make pretty spiffy handholds for the spindle of a bow drill. Perfect for that. Disappointed you didn't apply the well known artifact acid test, though....'fits perfectly in the hand'. hahaha!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
repost from other thread....

While I agree that all omarolluks were not artifacts I do feel that many were. Especially the ones found in areas near other artifacts. The one I have, from central Illinois (where glaciers did not reach), has grinding and sharpening marks all around the stone where it was used as a tool in addition to the cup being used. It seems too hard a line to say that all omars were never used by early man.

Really!!!! The Ice sheet never reached Illinios?...........Hmmmmmmmm................

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Thought this deserved a bump. I was surprised to see these were identified here so long ago.

This should be a permanent thread as often as people show up here with one at times.

I have quite a few, and only 2 have been modified from use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread