Dalton Drill

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Afternoon,

This Dalton drill was recovered in Bienville Parish, Louisiana several years ago.

A dirt road, slightly improved by the addition of some gravel, led by a small hill that was adjacent to an even smaller creek. The creek did not have steep banks but instead, a gradual slope. The dirt road led to a "deer camp" and the owners had grown weary of fording the creek when it was rainy and slippery; there was a big mudhole that had formed there. They bought a short piece of galvanized culvert and put it in place in the creek bed. I think they used a tractor with a back hoe attachment to move some dirt over the culvert.The rain came and this drill washed out.

I don't know the type of material it is fabricated of but it appears to contain tiny fossils and may have come from the Ouchita's or the Ozark's where I have seen some similar if not identical material. It reminds me a little of Reed Springs from the Pierson formation which outcrops in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas.

The drill is in perfect condition and has a "bit" type tip which is sometimes found on these reduced relics. The entire hafting area is ground smooth. It's about 3 1/4 inches in length and finely made. I sure am glad the maker/user dropped it where they did. I don't have but a few nice Daltons.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010078.JPG
    P1010078.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 395
  • P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 414
Upvote 0

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Spot : I can't see all of this fantastic point or drill ( not complaining as I don't know how to submit a picture) but what I see it is just a real example of this class of artifact. I'm pleased to look at it, just wish I could share some of mine.

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice drill Spot! Excellent find and congrats.

Gilmerman-go to the bottom of the last picture and slide the blue bar over to the right. You should be able to see the rest of this beauty.

Flintfinder

Mar 31, 2008
Troy, Mo
very nice Dalton, Almost looks like it been in a creek. Its got that creek polish look to it. great find and congrats. John

I love those type drills!! As for the flint...I'm not sure. I have not found any here on the Ark/OK Texas border made of that material, but I have found a couple made of that farther to the South and West of here about 60 miles.
(in the vic. of Mt.Vernon, Texas) one worn Calf Creek and a very similar Dalton to what you found, only not as long as what you found is. I'll post pics of it sometime.
Nice find!!

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

Thats a nice one to be sure....I only have a couple of the Dalton drill points. Took skill to make those. Makes you want them to dig out for more culverts..... :wink:

Atlantis

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a fine drill. I have two perfect Dalton drills, they are probably the most appealing type.
Thankyou for sharin'
I sure love to see those drills. ::)

Molly. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
Thank you all for your kind words and helpful comments. I did not find this relic; not in the ground anyway....lol. However, I do know the finder and the story is his; I simply put it in words.

I've personally found only a few nice points. The majority of my collection is made up of two other old time collections. Those collections were made from some better local material collected from the late 1920's thru the late 1960's. The collectors were/are friends of mine although much older than me. They had relic hunted all their lives and had some luck along the way.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread