Southwest Virginia Arrowhead hunting?

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Hello all. I have lived in the mountians my whole life and have always ehard of people hunting plowed fields, creeks, cave entrances, etc and finding Indian Artifacts. A teacher i had in school had hundreds upon hundreds he found by searching fields.

I have never tried it but really want to do some the remainder of this year and next summer. Any tips on how to get started, what I'll need, etc?

I live in the Appy mountians. In the Southwest region of Va. Inbetween Ky and Tn. I know our area is rich with indian history. Thansk for the help in advance!

-K

Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Klava, I just walk the plowed fields. Familarise yourself with the local rock types.. Look for high ground, near rivers or streams. You'll know when you have found a good place to hunt, you'll find lots of flakes of your local rock. Check out the typology for your area too, that will help. Good luck..

Molly.

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
Guarantee you that if you've lived in the mountains your entire life, you've literally been stepping on arrowheads. I know I did for years without seeing them. I read everything that i could find on the net and learned what to look for. Amazingly, I quickly began finding stuff.

Go back over the threads in this forum as far back as possible looking for "How to a Find Arrowheads" and similar questions. Search the rest of the net for "How to Find Arrowheads," "How to Hunt Arrowheads," and anything related you can think of. All that and a few weeks worth of hunting will have you finding them (probably).

Plowed fields near water are probably the easiest places to hunt, but any scraped area near water like logging roads, ditches, powerlines, new construction sites etc will have artifacts.

coalfire

Dec 16, 2006
East Coast
Hey klava,
I'll help out! I live north of you in Hardy County WV in the eastern Panhandle. I am doing some research on the Susquehannocks at the moment. I found a great article of a local dig I have been looking for for 3 years. Pennsylvania Native Americans in WV I am thrilled. I've posted here some of my surface finds from a small field. Pottery and a single Padre Bead. Mostly Middle to late woodland to early historic. Still and all.
If you got permission for a few feilds that will be plowed this spring I'll get a tent from a biker friend and camp out and maybe we could test some sites. Always looking to add another state to point to my collection.
I'll help you as much as I can. It's up to you.
Respects,
~Z~
zeawolf777 at hardynet dot com

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Oh, buddy...you're in prime country. And it's almost prime time there. When the lake gets down by Green Springs you should hunt the banks all along that. Don't forget the the feeder creeks and up river. Farther down the water goes the better. If you have a canoe or boat you would be better off. Never been there, not sure how far the water could go. Sometime in January or February would be my guess. Watch out not to go on government land.

Stoneman

Nov 22, 2012
Central Virginia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all. I have lived in the mountians my whole life and have always ehard of people hunting plowed fields, creeks, cave entrances, etc and finding Indian Artifacts. A teacher i had in school had hundreds upon hundreds he found by searching fields.

I have never tried it but really want to do some the remainder of this year and next summer. Any tips on how to get started, what I'll need, etc?

I live in the Appy mountians. In the Southwest region of Va. Inbetween Ky and Tn. I know our area is rich with indian history. Thansk for the help in advance!

-K

Look for logging activity near creeks & rivers.. Logging roads often go right down ridges onto toe slopes.. You can find all kinds of indian artifacts on logging roads and loading areas. mm1c.jpg

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
him and molly probably hooked up and she showed him everything he needed to know.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
SOHIO said:
him and molly probably hooked up and she showed him everything he needed to know.

Going by her avatar, he is a lucky fella. She seems to know quite a bit as well.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
natchitoches said:
i miss Molly, she was a good hunter.

Not sure I should ask this, but what happened to her? I read that she moved out of country, but couldn't she still check in, and say hello? She has lots of nice stuff from NC.

Wilder82

Jun 10, 2021
Appalachia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

-K

Old thread, but did you ever i have any luck? I too live in the same area, down in wise co.. looking for good spots to hunt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread