Just a few Ive found over the years

BullBarrel

Jun 2, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Just a few I've found over the years

Nothing spectacular here. Mostly broken ones I've found on a small piece of land in south Mississippi. I believe that it was once a location for a small village or hunting camp. Lots of chips, burned sandstone, and the occasional piece of pottery. Would be greatly appreciative of any comments on cultural period, type, or material.

Attachments

• IMG_0454.JPG
    IMG_0454.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

Carolina Points

Feb 27, 2008
State Line S.C/N.C
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 2
Re: Just a few I've found over the years

Very nice pieces I would keep hunting that spot. Im unsure on the material but I like it.
Thanks,
Clint

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri

I grew up a little north of there around Jackson MS and hunted many sites for 20 years. You are on a multi component site ranging
from late paleo to mississippian. Bottom row 3rd from left is the base of a San Patrice which is your late paleo piece. the little arrow
points directly above the San Patrice are Collins points from the Mississippian period. The stemmed points are Ponchartrain points from the late archaic to early woodland periods. All of the material is Citronelle gravel from the Citronelle formation. The red ones are heat treated.
That's a good site, keep hunting it. Thanks for sharing the pictures, brings back some good memories!

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East

You have discovered a good site; its just a matter of time until you find a point that blows our socks off (of those of us who wear socks)

OP
OP
B

BullBarrel

Jun 2, 2008
South Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Thanks for the info rockman! I have a lot to learn about typing points but you confirmed a theory I have about this site. I found all the "newer" points on a high point of land close to an old dry stream bed that only has water in it during the wet months. Obviously it had to be a running stream at some point to support a village/camp. The better flaked points have always been found further away from this stream bed. I believe this indicates that the village was moved closer to the stream as the water table fell over a period of time. I have a better idea of where and how deep to look now. Thanks again!

rockman0_12

Sep 15, 2008
Missouri

Get in the stream bed and hunt it too. Points wash into the stream when it floods.
If you want to learn more about point types you should get a copy of the "Mississippi Projectile Point Guide"
by Samuel O. McGahey. It was published by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History in 2000.
It's their Archaeological Report No. 31. The Old Capital Museum bookstore used to carry them or if you don't get
to Jackson very often you should be able to call and order one. Good luck hunting !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread