Some pieces from this past week

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Here are some pieces I made during my downtime this week- and the only tool other than a piece of leather I used to make them. Materials include Noviculite, Obsidian, Fiber optic glass, and Dacite. A lot of it was just experimentation with techniques because I'm out of practice.

Attachments

• knap.jpg
    knap.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 966
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Yeah, I do use that but it's getting to be so blunt that I had to file it down to a point again... and it wore off fast. I think it's time I get a new antler flaker to tell you the truth. The antlers get soft with persperation from your hands and then they wear down super fast like this one did.

P

pickaway

Great work.Was you able to make anything out of the stuff i sent ya?

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Pickaway- I haven't tried it yet bud. Maybe I'll take that box of stuff you sent me along to work tonight and then if I get some down time I could give it a shot.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I've never had the opportunity to use a moose antler billet and the material I've never tried either-

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Out of practice he says, lol Cannonman, those are very nice. I have me a piece of rawhide leather and I am trying to locate a decent piece of antler and thne I am going to try my hand at this. I have been wanting to learn how to Knap for some time. Seeing your stuff is inspiring.

What is a good material to start of with? not too many rocks here in Charleston or the low country for that matter.

thank you

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Mike- Just try some glass to start with, it's super easy to learn on and it's not hard to find, just be careful as it is sharp!

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Cannonman17 said:
Mike- Just try some glass to start with, it's super easy to learn on and it's not hard to find, just be careful as it is sharp!

I am going back to the house this weekend so I will grab the set of antlers of the buck I hit with my semi a few years back and I found an old bottle dump behind a supermarket and funny thing is, it is all brown clorox bottles. I found this about a month ago looking at a possible Union soldier camp site. No camp site but I did find the bottles and actually brought back a quart size and a half gal. size that were not broken. I will head back over there and grab some broekn bases.

I will post some pics and try not to cut a finger off ! lol ;D

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work!!! :thumbsup:

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
AeroMike said:
Cannonman17 said:

I am going back to the house this weekend so I will grab the set of antlers of the buck I hit with my semi a few years back and I found an old bottle dump behind a supermarket and funny thing is, it is all brown clorox bottles. I found this about a month ago looking at a possible Union soldier camp site. No camp site but I did find the bottles and actually brought back a quart size and a half gal. size that were not broken. I will head back over there and grab some broekn bases.

I will post some pics and try not to cut a finger off ! lol ;D

Brown clorox bottle bottoms.......If I had a dime for
every one I've ever hammerstoned on............Bottle
dumps are fun...you never know what you might find.

OP
OP
Cannonman17

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
It doesn't take long anymore with the help of books, the net, dvds, etc. When I learned back before the net and before I knew anybody else who knapped, it took a looooong time! :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions