Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what it is but... what is canal coal? I ask because I find coal on the river bank where I find lots of artifacts but never pick it up. i just figured it was from the 18th century activity in the area.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he meant 'channel coal', (coal collected from a channel, from top to bottom in a coal seam), I looked it up. ;D
It does look to have been an axe, or celt, according to the polished end.

Fossis............

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it is actually called Cannel Coal and it was used by the Indians for Ornaments and Beads. It is also refered to as Candle Coal because it burns with a very bright flame.

Look it up on Wikipedia and it explains it quite nicely. I would put the link up, but I can't access Wikipedia from work.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DorkFish said:
No, it is actually called Cannel Coal and it was used by the Indians for Ornaments and Beads. It is also refered to as Candle Coal because it burns with a very bright flame.

Look it up on Wikipedia and it explains it quite nicely. I would put the link up, but I can't access Wikipedia from work.

I guess he knew what he was saying all along. ::)

I stand corrected.

Fossis..............

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
DorkFish said:

I guess he knew what he was saying all along. ::)

I stand corrected.

Fossis..............
celt

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
probably a section of a pendant ,look in that area for more parts,cannel coal is too brittle to make a celt or axe, you have to watch out for cannel coal as it dries out it will sometimes exfoliate,i found part of a pendant made from it ,as it dried out it fell apart if it starts to do that on you try soaking it in a water and elmers glue mix to stabilize it

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
got one for ya

This is one that I found that has a nice sharp bit and a ground back end. Interesting isn't it.

Attachments

• P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 266
  • P1010010.JPG
    P1010010.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 267

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread