Need Opinion on a FINE FINE blade

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
I bought this piece from a guy who had bought it at a estate auction in Southern California. The guy said that the old man had bought it back in the 60's out in the Midwest but didn't know where it was from. I have looked at the piece for over two months and compared it to every known piece of flint that I have ran across. The only thing that I have seen similar to the piece are Caddo Blades and Folsum ultra-thins. The piece seems to be made from Edwards Plateau and is the thinnest in the middle as the flakes dive into the middle. There were also several points in this group that are classic Texas, Oklahoma points. If anybody has any ideas on the piece let me know.

Attachments

• Artifacts from 08 022.JPG
    Artifacts from 08 022.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 596
  • Artifacts from 08 023.JPG
    Artifacts from 08 023.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Heres another photo

Attachments

• Artifacts from 08 024.JPG
    Artifacts from 08 024.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 586
F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Geeze thats sweet.

Attachments

• Artifacts_from_08_022[1].jpg
    Artifacts_from_08_022[1].jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 533
  • Artifacts_from_08_023[1].jpg
    Artifacts_from_08_023[1].jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 550
  • Artifacts_from_08_024[1].jpg
    Artifacts_from_08_024[1].jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 521
Thats a Caddoan Blade!! I need one of those if ever you feel that it dont go with your other stuff!! :D Yep, looks like Edwards Plateau chert with a bit of the limestone cortex on it (Although an Identical material turns up in the Sulphur River)
Thanks for showin that peice of work!! Would you show some of the other stuff from that collection? Might help me figure the time period out a lil better.

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
I'd say it looks like a woodland cache blade. Maybe cobden, but i think it's too dark for edwards plateau.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Before I say anything else... KILLER blade. Don't care what you call it or what it's made from but wow!

Secondly.. I am always very suspicous of pieces that have anything at all to do with an estate auction anywhere in it's history. Doesn't mean tons of good pieces aren't bought in this fashion by no means, but most fakes seem to be born in such places as well. This piece may very well be the real deal and I might be talking out of my butt.... but...

Does the brown dirt looking stuff wash off at all? The only reason I ask is that it doesn't look quite right. In the very first picture on the top I noticed a small bubble looking thing in the brown area on the left hand side of the blade..just about the middle. I meant to save the file and use some program to circle it but I'm no computer wizz and I can't find the right file to save the pic to at the moment. So... I'm hoping that if you go up and look you will be able to find it without me circling it.. Doesn't that look like a bubble? Now if that brown washes off real easily and is nothing more than dirt then that "bubble" must be just a bubble in the rock and not actually something that was applied to the stone..which of course is normal too... I'm just curious I suppose.

S

seger98

Are you talking about this Cannonman17?

Attachments

• indexCABHPKV7.jpg
    indexCABHPKV7.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 303

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I don't post much on here anymore, but what the hell, I'm bored. Yup, your piece looks definitive EPC - maybe root beer (?). It doesn't send up any alarms with me as far as authenticy, as I've seen several similar. I would make sure to check it closely though, you may even want to consider sending it to Dwayne. It's commonplace to leave the cortex on when knapping out large tabs of EPC and similar cherts like that. More than likely it's a large Caddoan piece. The reduction reminds me alot of the Sweetwater and Walnut Creek Biface.

Speaking of the Sweetwater, here's a tidbit of info. At 18:1+ w/t ratio, it's questionably considered to be the thinnest large flint artifact ever recovered. It was found by Mr. Kamer at a rattlesnake roundup in Sweetwater Texas some years ago. I've personally examined the Sweetwater Biface under magnification on occasion and found something pretty interesting. For the longest time, people have thought it to be only ceremonial (Perino stated this in his notes of it also) and was too thin to have served any particular function. Anyways, when I put it under a scope I had a revelation - there is pretty decent use wear at one end of the blade. There is a polishing that is consistent with having being used considerably for a cutting or scraping on end end. Not just a little bit either, but a very noticeable amount. Anyways, just thought you would find that interesting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread