Plains Hardstone

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
This is a shot of much of my Hardstone from the Dakota's. Much of these are personal finds, some I have purchased, and some were gifts. There is a little bone in there as well.
DSCN1332.jpg

Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Nice representation of Plains hardstone. The maul was certainly an important tool for the nomadic and semi-nomadic Plains bison hunters and you have some real nice examples.

OP
OP
quito

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The largest is on the center shelf, left side and weighs 13 1/2 pounds. I am not certain it is a maul since there is no use wear sign on either end. I think it is possible it was used to break ice, or something other than normal maul use.

I had it with me at Collinsville last year, and I wish I would have had the opportunity to show it to you then. If you were gonna make it to Mt Pleasant, I'd show it to you there.

Joel

F

Flintfinder of Mo.

Joel, I've seen it twice.... Meuuuuuuuhaha..... I'm ready to see that big boy again. great display..... Glade you are here... No Way I can get to Mt. pleasant show. I will be at Collinsville show, come on down. Be good to see you. John

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Joel, I too can't make Mt. Pleasant, but C'ville for sure. Can't say I blame you if you come down, and don't really want to bring it with you, LOL! Have a good time though bud.

badandy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread