i.d. any ideas on the point type here?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
These were found on the same site in south eastern west virginia.(a friends farm) I'm having no luck i.d.ing these through overstreet and other sources. They seem to be archaic style flaking, with a triangular blade, and bases that range from straight to slightly concave. I've found a couple dozen through the years and would love to know what type this could be.

Attachments

• phprHbEzWPM.jpg
    phprHbEzWPM.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 317
  • phporwOQRPM.jpg
    phporwOQRPM.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 301
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
here's one more, thanks for looking and any help and comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• phpU9nKmKPM.jpg
    phpU9nKmKPM.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 307

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The first point has two possibilities...with the base straight it is actually a crude Kirk Corner notch, the transverse flaking is common to this type. Early Archaic 6900 BC. The other one is a Kanawha, Archaic 6200 BC which were first found in WVA, they look similar but the base is usually bifurcate with some straight or slightly concave, with no grinding. These everyday points are harder to identify than the classic examples that we often see listed, they were probably made in a hurry to do the job at hand. The material looks to be Kanawha flint?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
thank you rege and pickaway for the comments. The first point is def. kanawha flint, not really sure about the other two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread