OP
ink-a-alot

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MEinWV said:
Those are cool! I bet a lot of us pass by this kind of artifact without even noticing them.

Nice collection!

HH
I turn over every rock i see, just to see if it has sign of anything done to it...

DES OK

Nov 12, 2006
The Great Plains
Detector(s) used
GTAX550 - ACE250 -TEJON
Please excuse my ignorance, but all I see are rocks, can you explain what signs I should look for, to know otherwise... :icon_scratch:

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm an artifact newbie just trying to figure things out... 8)

Dan

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Congratulations; I cannot find these kind of artifacts where I live. I know that they were needed by the indians here but just havent come across a single one. I find many arrowheads and pottery sherds but never a manno or grinding stone. I come across definet hearth areas in the fields here, but as the indians lived in huts partially under the ground I would think grains and corn would be ground on the surface. I'll just keep looking.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. Are your morters cupped on both sides? Great photos Inks ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ink-a-alot

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Nice collection. Are your morters cupped on both sides? Great photos Inks ! :thumbsup:
some have a dish on the other side and some have nuting holes on the back of them..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seemed to be a common theme even a thousand miles away. I wonder if that was shared technology or an easily learned trait. I mean you can only use one side at a time anyways so why are they always cupped or nutted on both sides???

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DES OK said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but all I see are rocks, can you explain what signs I should look for, to know otherwise... :icon_scratch:

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, I'm an artifact newbie just trying to figure things out... 8)

Dan
[/quote

Im with you. I see a few with possible signs of use, a couple with clear signs but most seem to be plain ol everyday run of the mill rocks. And I know rocks! I bring tons of home daily hahahah. :wink:

Those are nothing to snub ones nose at. Those are some nice metates you have there. Greg Perino seemed to believe that a lot of the "nuttiing stones" were used in the manufacture of celts as most will have some degree of battering on the facets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread