Do You Ever Clean Your Copper Culture Finds?

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of mine were left uncleaned.

I did clean a few and put them on ebay.

I got a firestorm of protest!

I received some ebay PMs that made it sound like I had completely desecrated the entire Native American culture forever and they would never be able to get over it.

Extra Note: The cleaned items did sell and I received positive feedback.

Okay, so how do you feel about cleaning these relics?

MB

Upvote 0

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have not found any copper culture relics yet, but I would not clean any when (and if) I do. Cleaning historical items is usually a "losing proposition".

In response to the rection you got on eBay, they are YOUR items and you are free to do with them what you wish. I would remind those folks of this :wink:
Dan

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger, I've only found one copper culture piece. . . in my life. . . and it was a celt axe head.

When I found it, I was about to throw it in my junk box but then I remembered seeing a post
about one that was found a year earlier. . . the one I found had a wonderful crusted green patina
and I even went so far as to keep it wrapped up in a moist paper towel on the way home
so the patina wouldn't flake off.

I think it's best leaving anything copper like that alone. . . unless it's a Zincoln from the park ;D

Take care,
watercolor

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I only found one copper culture item (wedge or chisel type instrument) and I left it as is. I cleaned it with water only to remove the dirt but left the green patina on the item. Just my personal preference, but I like to leave the patina on it to keep the aged look.

Greg

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
I maybe a bit off topic here , the thread is about “cleaning” and my thoughts are more about preservation . I’ve been thinking about bringing this up to you all here on the Copper Culture Artifacts Forum for awhile now ,.. Better late then never .
A fellow Detectorest in the Netherlands [my wife is a Hollander] was showing me his collection of roman artifacts [incredible!!] , he was pulling out things and explaining and handing them off to me and so it went, now I don’t remember if it was something I said or how I was handling the artifacts but he was quick to assure me the artifacts where safe , and that we could handle them and enjoy them . The conversation turn to this preservation method of dipping his artifacts [common method over there] into Paraffin wax . With few exemptions , he cleaned his artifacts with a soft brush and water maybe a bit of soap , sometimes . The artifacts are dried and then dipped into the heated wax . He claims the wax keeps the artifacts in a fairly air free state and if for some reason you needed to remove the wax , just put it into some hot water no chemicals needed. Anyway the wax gives them a nice sheen and darkens them up a bit ,but I must say they do look good,... and for a long time ???

JPEGromanpendant.jpg

A Roman pendant , nice patina ,done up in wax ,...... when in Rome do as those Hollanders do.

JPEGpin.jpg

Roman Fibula [broach pin ] like a safety-pin , this one came from the deep Dutch clay , an air-free [anarobic ? No oxygen] state , looks new . And trying to keep it this way !

True to form , a bit off topic ; Blindpig

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Well first I'll make it clear that I no longer do this to any of my Copper Culture artifacts.

I've owned about 100 great pieces and I cleaned maybe 8 all together. Most were only poundings or preforms.

Why did I clean them?

I wanted to see all the details of the forming process. I mean how they overlapped the metal and all the individual hammer marks.

I kept 1 piece which I show here. This knife was dug in Wisconsin.

I removed all patina and sealed it with clear coat. It's been shiny with no signs of darkening for the past 2 years.

Someday I plan to have an enlarged picture made of it for my office.

Again--not to worry. I don't do this anymore.

The knife really looks much more shiny and almost like gold to the eye.

When dug it had no green but looked more like a fried/burned brown fish fillet

Almost 4 inches long.

Badger

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 774

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
:icon_scratch: ?? The Roman Fibula Broach is “as dug” ,cleaned with brush and water . Then waxed . ??

Yes ,. This artifact has only been in the ground for some 1800 yrs , .and about 12 yrs with me , I havn’t noticed any changes with it . Some 12 yrs ago I couldn’t make an argument why it was a bad idea to wax artifacts, I would like to know if any damage is being done to the artifact . The Dutch Detectorest made a good argument why not to use laquer or other paint type sealants , As he said , “The air will take its toll “ Anyway , just an idea how others in this world preserve there artifacts ....and clean 'em ;D

By the way , I like a nice patina,.. even on a I.H. cent it looks good ,.... thick and gross , well do as you please I guess

Sincerely , Blindpig

oilwick1

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2008
Minnesota
Define cleaning? There are many types of cleaning, both physical and chemical. The only cleaning I do to my copper artifacts is with water and a soft bristle toothbrush. See my website at
http://www.copperculture.homestead.com

While copper artifacts belong to those who find them, chemically cleaning them or polishing them (buffing) is a bad idea. If you ever want to sell them no knowledgeable collector will be interested in them. I would advise anyone finding a copper artifact to clean it in a way that does not permanently deface it.

Dave Johnson

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Michigan Badger said:
Well first I'll make it clear that I no longer do this to any of my Copper Culture artifacts.

I've owned about 100 great pieces and I cleaned maybe 8 all together. Most were only poundings or preforms.

Why did I clean them?

I wanted to see all the details of the forming process. I mean how they overlapped the metal and all the individual hammer marks.

I kept 1 piece which I show here. This knife was dug in Wisconsin.

I removed all patina and sealed it with clear coat. It's been shiny with no signs of darkening for the past 2 years.

Someday I plan to have an enlarged picture made of it for my office.

Again--not to worry. I don't do this anymore.

The knife really looks much more shiny and almost like gold to the eye.

When dug it had no green but looked more like a fried/burned brown fish fillet

Almost 4 inches long.

Badger

I have to say, it doesn't look like ancient copper anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread